Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What update's or repairs to your hot rod will you do over the winter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DSCN2198.JPG DSCN2199.JPG DSCN2206.JPG Turn this into a car...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've pretty much been driving the coupe the last 5 summers, I have a few minor things I need to do to it this winter.
    The big project is the 39 Dodge truck. It was suppose to be a replacement for my shop truck by now, but my son's wagon kept getting in the way of it's progress.
    I just bolted the cab back on the frame today. There is a long way to go before it can replace the shop truck. I'm hoping I can get it done by spring. I'm considering retiring at the end of next year, it would be nice to have the new shop truck done and be usable while the shop is still open. Gene

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

On my runners I have a few things to do. My 57 has had some serious deferred maintenance over the years and needs some real help mechanically. I recently rebuilt the entire braking system, which marks the first time I've had fully functional brakes in 7 years. Steering is pretty poor, so that's next on the list of things to repair, which will be either a rebuild of the manual box or an upgrade to a power box, I haven't decided yet. The engine leaks and smokes but runs well, and the trans hemorrhages fluid. I may slap together a rebuilt 383 and throw in the rebuilt torqueflight I have to shore that up.

My 64 Thunderbird may get a trans rebuild and some new shocks and stabilizer arms, but we'll see. Damn car runs so well I don't want to take it apart.

The Edsel project has stalled for a while while I've been finishing some projects around my house; converting a room with built-in bunk beds to an office, building a closet in the parlor to my bedroom, having a new patio poured around my pool and finishing my pool house. Luckily my wife is handier with household projects than 99% of the men I know, and she is a significant help to me when it comes to framing, sheetrock installation and finishing, painting, tiling and flooring, etc. She's a beast.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The 46 Plymouth will be getting a Borg Warner r 10 over drive and new front tires. The Studebaker truck needs a new axle as the flange is bent making a wheel wobble, and I need to make up some fender braces. Mostly they go under their blankets for a 5 month hibernation.

5. Latigo

Latigo

Finish the wiring. It's strictly a day-time driver now. Build door panels and maybe a new grill.

6. Hyper Henry

Hyper Henry

Nothing....lol Topped up the gas with some Stabilizer, drained water to change to 50/50 antifreeze and backed off the rockers and away for storage.
    Do plan to get work on the 37 Dodge truck project though....:eek:)

7. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Think ill wash it and throw a cover over it, call it good enough. Like probably 90% of the hamb

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Now that it isnt too hot to work outside I have started doing body work on 3 cars that are all driveable but unfinished.This will likely go on until May.I probably wont be done,but I will be farther along than I am now!

9. Next week I trailer car to DMV for out-of-state VIN/title inspection to get a Nebraska title for it. Just called and got my storage spot reserved for the body of my coupe....the body will sit at my son't garage for the winter while I finish weld the chassis, plumb the brakes, fab up clutch linkage and paint the body and chassis.
    34rear3_4ths2016.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser, chop job and Hombre like this.
  10. skipstitch

skipstitch

plymouth.jpg
    The wishlist is new wiring, brakes, tires, interior, buffed paint, fuel lines and fuel pump.... Reality? A garage with a roof that doesn't leak and a wiring harness...a humble "re-beginning" LOL!

11. I have a little work ahead of me. Nitro can be hard on parts. 20171013_211855.jpg 20171022_154603.jpg 20171022_154544.jpg

12. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

no repairs/mod's...just drive it as usual :)

13. leadsled56

leadsled56

Pull motor and trans and install new seals in both. It leaks a bit more than I can stand....

14. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Thanks to an invisible "step" in the driveway at a gas station I don't usually visit, I get to do shocks now as well.

Of course, the ones I'm replacing are a million years old anyhow and needed replacing, but, you know...spread the blame. Hahahaha!

15. Alex Mcghee

Alex Mcghee

Try to get My Ranchero running again Has had the head off for 10 year Evaporust works great.

16. donno

donno

Body work on the 46, new window rubber on the 48.

17. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

The 283 PP & the 'Glide are getting pulled & rebuilt with some fun stuff.

And this...

IMG_4653.JPG

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

First order of business is to get the slicks off and bias WWW back on the rear of BGII so when I redo the crankcase venting system I'll be able to take it out and run it up in the lower gears to determine if my plan stops oil from escaping.
    Once that's fixed I need to pull the inner panel off the deck lid and replace/rewire the big red leds I have concealed in the top row of louvers in the deck lid that work in conjunction with stoplights. Then a bit of stuff like annual oil & filter change, valve adjustment (solid lifters), and chassis lube.
    Also want to do a first rate cleanup and put away in proper place all the tools and spare parts, etc. in my shop.
    Then I have a few minor things to do on the '40 Ford coupe. Seat tracks have locked down and won't let me adjust the seat fwd & back and a couple other small things.
    Know it doesn't sound like much, but when you're an 80 year old half cripple it takes 2 days to do what I once did in 2 hours:eek::oops:

19. I guess I should add cleaning up the shop and do some organizing,looks like we are finally going to have our first freeze tonight and I'm already behind scheduled. HRP

20. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Get the Roadster body painted...1939 / 40 Ford cloud mist grey, and a bit of body work. 20171023_174407.jpg 20171023_174352.jpg Still not yet sure which chassis it will go on, the after market in the pic or the original.

21. I don't think winter will be long enough to get all my projects done!
    1) Replace the stock transmission in the banger with a '39 V8 trans. & replace the stock 3:78's with 3:54's.
    92.JPG 77 - 1939 V8 transmission with Clings adapter.jpg

2) Get the engine and trans in Grandsons '69 El Camino.
    18056638_10158537772635720_489520794080846828_n.jpg

3) Get something done on Sue's '57.
    89.jpg

22. 55 fairlane plans:
    Get new tires and fresh paint on the wheels. Rebuild and update drum brakes. Possibly swap to 12v. Do a cut and buff on factory paint, replace carpet and recover the headliner.

37 coupe plans:
    Finally put the damn thing together and finish some of the body work and get it close to resembling an actual car and ready for paint.

23. 32owner

32owner

already started put double master cylinder on 32 coupe, next put notched shifting rods in trany, then having top chopped, then a new set of rear 354 gears in the new banjo, put interior back in, helping build a 34 pickup at my shop, and helping a buddy on a tupperware 32 coupe at his place. dont know how i did all this shit before i retired LOL

24. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I am in the middle of "trying" to install an aftermarket set of 3.54 gears in my '34. I figure it will take all winter to make it happen.

25. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Finish welding on chop, then get trunk floor made. Then body off of frame so I can finish welding in truck arm suspension in rear. I have scrounged most all of the parts I need minus just a few things. Hopefully those few things like 54 chevy deluxe full wheel covers will be found at the Portland swap this year.

26. 392

Try to drive for first time. Bedliner today on underside.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Gammz like this.
  27. 32owner

32owner

mad o34 your scarin me on the rear end 354 thats what i am using in a 40 rear end they are nos ford numbers matching.

28. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

METALWORK on the 56 Vikki!

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I plan on installing a dropped axle in my '50 Ford Panel Truck, as well as do the brakes, fuel lines, wiring if needed, and button up the flathead, including ignition and exhaust. I also need to bodywork and paint a customer car plus do all the plumbing and wiring on that. On top of that I've got another gauge panel or two to design and produce. It'll be a fun winter! IMG_20171022_180215.jpg 1509820308983801428975.jpg

chop job likes this.