Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery rearend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283john, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Anybody know what this is? I've looked up every combination of terms I can think of online. I can tell it is mechanical braked and looks to be a 2 speed set-up. A guy posted it. Not my pic. rear end.jpg

2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

3. Could be almost anything from the 20's-30's....need more pics or info.

4. squirrel

squirrel

it could not be a Chevy or a Ford.

Neat rear, never seen anything like it.

283john likes this.

5. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

From a mid-duty truck...you can see the two speed...

283john likes this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Interesting cast housing and nice fill plug out the back. It would look good under the rear of an early speedster build.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what it is, but like the taper of that driveshaft tube, and the casting ribs on the housing. Looks like a real weighty unit.

283john likes this.
  8. Yeah. I really like the look of the integral gussets.

9. What are the wheel bolt hole diameter and number of studs?

10. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

IT LOOKS LIKE AN OLD CARDASHIAN REAR END........

Clay Belt and alphabet soup like this.
  11. Don't know. Waiting to find out more. Guy on Facebook car page posted those two pics asking what it was. Didn't provide any other info.

12. squirrel

squirrel

it's probably clickbait, if it was on fb

283john likes this.
  13. the guy finally posted a pic of the truck that the rearend is from, if anybody is interested.

Attached Files:

14. squirrel

squirrel

It looks a bit older than I was guessing. I don't have time right now to try to figure it out :)

15. the headlight/frame/spring configuration looks like some early 20's Brockway trucks I have found online...?

16. conestogaman

conestogaman

17. International,,,maybe,,,

18. eberhama

eberhama

That seems really early to be a 2 speed truck axle, although I know Ruckstell was around then. Could it be a kind of primitive version of what would now be a transaxle?

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Most of the early two speeds provided a higher than stock gear set. More like the tow/ haul switch on modern pickups, rather than a gear fot low rpm cruising. The Ruckstons mentioned above were fitted to Ford TT trucks. If the standard rear gear set was a 4 some to 1, the under driven set provided by the two speed would likely provide 5 something to one to enable the truck to have enough grunt to get a load moving or for operating in hilly country, and give the operator the option of splitting gears to maintain momentum at lower speeds. The top speed of those rigs was not much over 50.

Be neat to have but probably need some gear changes to provide the more relaxed running at cruise like an Over drive would provide. Although you could put a low 3 final gear and the use the two speeds lower range to provide the scoot from stop.