Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint colors

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tinkirk, Oct 24, 2017.

1. belair

belair

Washington to Navy blue, or a nice maroon. Black fenders in you like that look. Nothing too bright or too light. Although I do like a lighter shade of gray on those cars. Like my old daddy says, "IT doesn't really matter what color you choose. It will look better than it does now." Of course, there are idiots who can disprove that thought.

chryslerfan55 and 41 C28 like this.
  2. Custom, hot pink with gold striping.

3. 5window

5window

My '31 coupe was pearl white with metallic purple fenders when I bought it. It's Model A green with gloss black fenders now. Personally, I like Model A's to stick to Model A colors. I think that is called "traditional"

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Look at bourbon brown metallic with black fenders. Just did a Sportster with it . Really pops in the sun.

5. tinkirk

tinkirk

THanks guys i'm really enjoying all the suggestions keep em coming !

6. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Don't two tone it. Blech, it'll look like grandpa's jalopy.
    The color will come to you. Be patient, grey primer til then.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. tinkirk

tinkirk

That's where I'm at now everything is apart and not going back together tell it has color on it
    Moose did photo shop on it in a silver and satin black
    At first i thought that's it, but now not sure where to go
    Kind of kicking around some kind of gun metal gray in a two tone

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

IMHO a mint or celery green with vanilla and dark green pin stripes, or copper penny (PPG color) with gold, vanilla and purple pin stripes something that looks classy and fresh, so many new colors on both foreign and domestic cars stop by your local PPG dealer and get a current sample book. I think the goal is to do it the you want after all its your ride, if it puts a smile on your face your done.

9. tinkirk

tinkirk

Yes my car but i like opinions and want something a little different from what i see around just not completely sure what that is yet kind of wishey washey i know, a color person i am not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think I like darker colors on something like this, The rite wheel and tire choice, Stance etc is more important and looks better than a flashy color on a car like this in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Agreed. Can anyone ID the head lights?

13. Something different ,,,
    But !!!!
    Stay away from pastels. They are done
    Stay away from earth tones. Every car on the road today is some shade of mud.
    Silver is earth, copper is earth, gold is earth but ok for accents.

So that eliminates the inner pastels, greens top left, the shades of mud colors top right except yellow.
    That put you mostly into the bottom 1/2 of the wheel. Do you like the Cool colors or warm colors. Orange is different, not many bright Chevy orange cars around. Hugger orange or carousel red (1969 Camaro or Pontiac GTO judge) is a little red sometimes but also different.
    image.jpg

14. That would make the thread worth while

dan31, Dick Stevens and Asphalt Angel like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Judging from the work done on the rest of the car, I would think they'd be one-off (ok, two-off) customs

16. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

Here is a black and white tudor. I dont think it looks like a skunk. I really like it. 07977A59-06D7-48E7-B56C-CA3D9EBB48EE_zpsenezuqhh.jpg

17. tinkirk

tinkirk

That is nice

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got to TCP Global under the restoration colors and find "Chatillion Grey". I'd go all 1 color and pinstripe it in your favorite color. This one had maroon stripes and chassis. You could google the color under Packard. It's not one of the old euro colors which are used too much and kind of wrong for most cars. A 30-34 industry offering.

IMG_20160116_151923786_HDR.jpg

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  19. tinkirk

tinkirk

Will as of right now, wife and i have talked and, it will be all one color in some sort of darker gray as again certain colors look better on certain cars

20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

In my opinion I wouldn't go with any kind of white, two toned or not on thirties era cars.

nunattax, Gman0046 and 5window like this.
  21. That's true but still different for everyone
    Very subjective.

Your blue might be gray,
    your less might be more.
    Your window to the world might be your own front door.
    You shiniest day might come in the middle of the night.
    That's just about right

Read more: Blackhawk - That's Just About Right Lyrics | MetroLyrics

BTW, some shade of gray would look good - but not different. The gray family of tones and colors is a very neutral, it's at the least non offense to most everyone meaning anyone can live with it, that makes it quite popular color on the road.

My Dad was always against colors that resemble that of, or colors that blend well with the colors of pavement. Makes sense.

22. tinkirk

tinkirk

I had an impala ss like that Rolled the dam think over in 69, that hurt my feelings and the car forever, I on the other hand came out of it with only scratch

23. low down A

low down A

no that A looks like a zebra

24. The black and white is something that would be a love it or hate it thing. It's weird and awkward almost. It can look super sanitary , like a "twilight zone dream" or just off and trashy.
    Black and Tan looks classy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like it better in satin black, that yellow is too much.

chryslerfan55 and wackdaddy like this.
  26. metalman

metalman

Really. Asking what color to paint your car is like asking what type of women should I marry. It's YOU that got to live with it! Choose something you like. Sorry, but I think it's pointless to ask on here. How many Hamb members? Each with their favorite color.

chryslerfan55 and low down A like this.
  27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... dark colors can get warm parked in the sun for a couple hours... so instead of flat black I chose to find a tan color... not too dark and not off white... for a test I picked gloss kahki, for $2.00 a can in Wallmart's clearance isle [paint has it's own clearance isle]...
    gonna go with it... I may nice paint the thing someday... probably not. DSCN1061.JPG

chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  28. tinkirk

tinkirk

yep that may be some people's thoughts
    and then there are other people's thoughts
    it's also nice to see what other's think
    on the other hand you did take the time to post something did you not

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 50's an 60's white was the color you painted a car or truck when the body work wasn't good enough to paint a different color. Usually to throw out on a low end used car lot.
    Pearl white to me says billet laden street rod though. I'd like it for the roof of my 71 GMC when I paint it but it just is too late model for an early rod.

If you are a guy who never sells or trades his hot rods after he builds them it doesn't matter much what you paint it as you don't have to worry about someone passing on buying the car because the color turns them off.
    I'm in the same dilemma on colors for my 31 A Victoria. It is an absolute rust bucket now to the point I hurt a friends feelings when he asked how my Model A rat rod was coming and I said I would never build a f%%(ing rat rod. Wife wants fenders on it and as we plan long trips with it that works, I'm leaning more towards colors that resemble stock colors but might be Toyota FJ colors or Jeep Wrangler colors and end up with a hot rod that makes the restorers think I took a nice old restored Model A and made a hot rod out of it.

I'd agree on the satin paint not looking finished. I think guys lean towards it as all too many hot rods in old rod magazines looked like they had flat or satin paint jobs when they were actually shiny lacquer that didn't come out as shiny in black and white photographs and a lot of those "black" cars were actually dark green, dark blue or dark Maroon. Case in point my Dad's 41 Ford ragtop that he had when he came home from the Army Air Corps and married my mom and later hauled me home from the hospital in when I was born. It was actually Cayuga Blue but looked black in this photo. Dads 41 Ford ragtop.jpg
    That was probably just after he washed it at his friend's gas station here in town in 1945 or 46.

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Please don't go with that inside of a baby diaper brown that was shown earlier. I thought it was beige primer.