Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Long lost Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Gomez, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I know this is a lost cause but thought I would try to find my brother's dragster. He built an X/FD in about 1964 when he was going to Pittsburg State and ran at MoKan and other area strips. Chassis was locally built, double tube with 1 1/2 or 2 inch chrome moly, straight axle, narrowed Olds or Pontiac rearend. Was powered by a 194 ci. Pontiac four banger with a Powerglide. Ran in the low 10's and around 130 mph. Sold it to Fulton Wilhelm in Pittsburg Kansas in the late 60's, had a Pontiac V8 in it then. Had a home made enclosed trailer, narrow at the front and wider at the rear with plywood sides and a canvas top. Any information on the car would be great.

Attached Files:

2. I posted this up on MoKan's forum in case that would help. Is your brother Roger?

Jason

3. Giving you a bump. I also notified about a half dozen guys from college; we attended Pburg in late sixties. Haven't heard back yet.

4. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Hope you find it. That's super cool

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very cool. Looks like Fulton Wilhelm passed (Independence, MO.). Did you check with his heirs to see if they know when/where the dragster went (or still have it?)? Maybe it's still in the area.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Thanks for all the interest, hadn't thought of MoKan having a forum or looking up Fulton Wilhelm. My brother has looked a little and I ran into a friend who ran at MoKan at the same time and he asked about the car. Between the two of them it got me interested, not real high hopes of finding a car sold almost 50 years ago but worth a shot.

8. black55

black55
    from Girard ,Ks

Looks like the dragster that I have that I bought a couple years ago from a guy that owned it for around 35 years. I live in Girard, Ks. about 26 miles from Mokan .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I sure hope you find this cool part of drag racing history.

Jimbo

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Can you post some pictures and details of it? That would mean the person you bought it from (that had it for 35 years) started his ownership only about 15 years after the O/P's Brother sold it.

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Just sent a PM to black55 asking for pictures, my brother only lives about 50 miles from there and it's only 15 miles from where the car was sold. Excited to see where this goes.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. black55

black55
    from Girard ,Ks

Will post pictures as soon as I can.

13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

In those words made famous by 3W Larry....patiently waiting....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Flop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Hope you find it!

15. Got my OT car back this summer that I built in 1971, an amazing story.

16. black55

black55
    from Girard ,Ks

One of the previous owners bought the car with no front axle and put this one on from another car.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Sure looks close to me. If it was me I would arrange at trip to see it in person...

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Seen that car at the museum outside Pittsburgh what a find wasn't that the old ward brothers car

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The right era and area but the frame doesn't look quite right to me, don't remember the boxing plates around the engine bay. My memory could be wrong since it was about 50 years ago or they could have been added later. Sending the pictures to my brother, he will be able to tell. Thanks for getting back to me and posting the pictures, will let everyone know when I hear back from him.

Sancho and harpo1313 like this.
  20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Sent the pictures to my brother and he thinks it is probably his old car, the boxing plates have been added but he thinks it has been lengthened at sometime. He has a lot of pictures of the car including construction photos and is really interested in seeing the car in person. I sent his info to black55 and hopefully they can get together since they live about 50 miles apart. I'm amazed at the possibility of finding the car after 50 years thanks to the HAMB !

21. Joel W

Joel W

The ward brothers car is in Tulsa

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well It was it's now in Carthage mo but I was thinkin that this is the first car they had

Chrome don't get ya home

23. black55

black55
    from Girard ,Ks

This is the first Ward Bros. car. Bob told me he bought it from a guy in Joplin and they raced it in 1968. He's the one that put that front axle on it. That axle came from this car.

Attached Files:

unclescooby and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I was pretty sure that was what I was told by bill Wilbert at the museum that day that's a kool pic

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Well my brother got the pictures and compared them to his construction Pictures and old pictures of the car. He is 99% sure it is his old car, due to health issues he has decided not to follow up on the car. He is happy to know the car still exist and hopes it will see the strip again. Thanks to black55 and all the HAMB folks that took an interest and helped in the search.