Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Why aren't I working on this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 20, 2017.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I rolled the (long neglected) '59 T'bird out of the garage yesterday to make room to paint the '34 roadster. I've been using the 'bird as storage shelf, parts bin, and sometime workbench for years now, it was good to see it outside as a "real" car. My wife even said, "It's good to see the Thunderbird outside again.
    Yes, yes it is. I gotta get to work... 22552648_10215198469897712_6232404672781411258_n.jpg 22687588_10215197970325223_6398379386224218302_n.jpg

OahuEli, slim38, wicarnut and 11 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If you could figure out the answer to "why....", you could make a lot of money.

OahuEli, Hnstray, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  3. CME1

CME1

I like the '59 T-Bird ! Looks like a great project car that needs to be finished. The travel trailer in the back ground looks pretty cool too.

catdad49 likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Don't know if you're the same, but I've done the same thing you have and did a little soul searching. When I have more than 1 project, I have a subconscious "favorite". The other(s) become the redheaded stepchild. You like them, but become easily distracted. The favorite gets the garage and the stepchild becomes storage ('cuz the favorite needs more room). I've started this cycle over recently by picking up a '32 3 window, but the '31 isn't completely done yet. I have a few things left to do on the '31 and I'll get them done, but find myself drawn to the '32 to do the most meaningless things when I COULD be using the time to finish the '31.
    I have to keep reminding myself what's happening and forcing myself back to the '31. I tend to think of this as a slightly different strain of the hot rod disease.......

flynbrian48 and The37Kid like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, you need to get busy! Too much sitting around!! :D

6. Have you been camping this year? HRP

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool looking bird. I can understand the concept of it keeps getting shoved to the back of the project list.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

SHINNEY THING!!

OVER THERE!!!

Hnstray likes this.
  9. exterminator

exterminator

Lets see. 34 ford or t-bird. Hmmmm. 34 wins:)

timwhit and flynbrian48 like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing at a time big guy. Tarp up that rolling rag top tool bench and paint that roadster!

11. ...I know the feeling, my 55 Chev p.u. is only like 2 weeks away from being a driver and it's been that way for over 3 years, just don't seem to work on it, always somethin else to do that's more urgent.
    I do plan to hit it soon tho, soon as the nice weather leaves us, and get it driveable.
    Having 4 other old cars to drive enters into the picture tho.
    I feel bad for guys who have no old car running.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

To answer: Yup. We spent a total of two months in the Spartan this summer! Several short trips, a 10 day trip to Pennsylvania, two 2 week stints at the local state park. It was a GREAT summer!

bct and kiwijeff like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

All the above! I love the T'bird, but I don't love it as much as whatever new thing I've gotten. ;-) I too would work on a '32 as opposed to a '31, so, don't feel bad about putting it a back burner!

14. Is the Riv still in there or have I missed something?

Ben

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's under a car cover in the garage too. I'm stealing a brake drum from it for the '34, so it's now b become a parts car...

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I got old I used to have that same problem with women i.e., I'm easily distracted.

Now I have plenty of time to work with old cars. Funny how that works.

OahuEli and Hnstray like this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Still have that problem... wife thinks it's cars. Shhhhh......

18. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Don't know why but sometimes one just gets hung up in the middle of projects. Zipped right through the two 34 Fords---one stock and one modified but hung up w-a-a-a-y too long on the 34 Chevy. All the wood has been replaced with steel (a bitch), channel completed, and now is an unfinished running driving car but the fire has died down. Just interior, glass, and paint to cruise with it's two Ford cousins but the couch seems to have bonded to my ass. Engine is a Mercury Marauder 4 cam chosen strictly for the Hemi look. Note the fake spark plug wires that will run through grommets in the coil covers and the "finished" 2x4 distributor will reside under the intake.

two 34's outside 003.jpg two 34's outside 004.jpg 34 chev. cpe Oct 09 003.jpg 34 chev. cpe Oct 09 001.jpg

flynbrian48 likes this.
  19. You could just give it to me and I could work on it;). On second thought, bad idea, then another one of mine would become neglected. Funny thing about retirement, you think ahead of time that you will now have all of this time to finish things. Then you end up doing things for your kids because they don't have time due to work.

20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I like the Bird, had a mild custom 60 hardtop for a while. I have the same problem with a V8 A, started collecting parts in the late 90's, work on it a while and start something else, did a 30 pickup, 50 Ford, 60 T-Bird and a couple of Mustangs with my son. Used as a shelf while I was working on the T-Bird, hoping to have it drivable next summer. On the coupe again, frame is done and trying to get the body painted before cold weather so I can work on assembly this winter.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      224.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      248.3 KB
      Views:
  21. Yep I think its a common thing to have a lot of partially completed projects. What happened is life gets in the way. You simply don't have the time and money when you are inclined to work on them. I just do little things that don't require spending lots of money. I do have two 66 GMC pickups that I use on a regular basis. I like the T Bird Ive never owned one.

22. Honestly, if I had your roadster, the T bird would live outside.

Hollywood-East and flynbrian48 like this.
  23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's what I'm wanting to do, get the thing painted while it's warm. I heat with a black box wood stove, so I'm a little hesitant to paint with the stove stoked up! The plan is to get it (the roadster) painted, then I can store the '51 Pontiac wagon in the enclosed trailer this winter, move the T'Bird around to a back bay in the shop. That way I can set up my sewing machine table where the T'bird was, next to the roadster, get the upholstery done, get it wired, and ready to go for spring. Which will be here before I know it...

24. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

You do your own upholstery?---I hate your guts. I wish I could have you "doing nothing" around my shop!

25. I think it may be because you had it complete once and enjoyed it once. You are working on things now you have not had before.

I do like your T-Bird. You have made many changes that are subtle. They will make people look at it and scratch their heads. They know something is different but can't figure out what it is.

OahuEli likes this.
  26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The poor T'bird is setting out in the rain under a tarp, hopefully tomorrow this will all be painted and the 'bird can come back to roost.
    22788829_10215232558349902_1677134468056262334_n.jpg

OahuEli and exterminator like this.
  27. exterminator

exterminator

I can help you. Drop your 34 at my garage along with the title and keys and now room for your t-bird. Problem solved.:)

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the ladder idea as a parts support for painting!

flynbrian48 likes this.