Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Studebaker six transmission options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jake lawrence, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Jake lawrence

Jake lawrence

Hello, everyone long time fan of these forums, I love following the projects. I am currently working on one of my own that involves a 1954 Studebaker flathead six, really like this little motor and have begun my search for a manual transmission and starter. Apparently the original would have been a T-96 Borg warner. Am looking for one now. A friend has offered a 1963 Falcon 3 speed, a 3.03, I think. The bell housings are different. The ford is smaller with the starter on the other side. Other than that the trans looks close. I am seeking any information on possible transmission options. A jeep maybe? Etc. Any help is appreciated.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I do have a 3 speed out of a 62 Lark. Actually I have the engine and trans with starter as it came out. It is pretty much the same engine, but it is OHV. Don't know where your from, but your welcome to it if you pick it up in San Mateo, Ca.

3. Do you have the car also?

4. Jake lawrence

Jake lawrence

I am in Kentucky. I only have the motor.

5. Jake lawrence

Jake lawrence

I am in Kentucky. I only have the motor.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Lark and it's belly button 383 sbc along with 4 speed and 9 inch is now cruising around. On the wrong side of the road around Melbourne.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well if you find a way your welcome to it.

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I have a 60 Stude flathead six with OD trans for almost free

9. location?
    bix six or small 6?

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  10. For the original post--
    I AM ASSUMING YOU REFER TO A CHAMPION 170, OR 169.5 ENGINE, not the larger 245 Commander six used in some trucks-- a possibly great solution is to pull the 6 cyl 170 engine and trans from a pickup that's about to be parted out.
    It will have a V8 bellhousing that bolts to a six, a high six cyl starter location, and will give you a v8 clutch and a whole lot more transmission options than the tiny 6 cyl bellhousing will.
    You can adapt Chevy and other stickshifts easily to it, OR bolt a Stude T86 trans from a light duty v8 right in without adapting anything.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.
  11. Jake lawrence

Jake lawrence

Yes its the 170. Where at Bobcrman? Am checking the local swapmeets and online auctions. They are a little scarce around here.

12. Jake lawrence

Jake lawrence

looking at the ford trans a friend has offered up. not really up on falcon trans. this may be an L6. but interested in whatever manual may work for me. can i adapt a bellhousing? i am aware of the t5 adapters, a little pricey.

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the engine drive train out of a 53 Champion, six and over drive, I am in Iowa so shipping even the transmission would drive the price up and I would just about give to someone that could use it just to have it out of the shop.

14. Danny G

Danny G

I have a 3 speed overdrive out of a 42 champion that is free plus shipping

15. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

One thing you didn't mention is whether you have the plate that bolts to the back of the engine. This is what the bell housing bolts to. There is a difference between the plate needed for the 169CID and the later 185CID & 170CID motors.
    Also, I have never seen a T5 adaptor for these motors. Who makes them? I called Bendtsen's to inquire about it, and was given a flat NO, with no other explanation.

16. mikeselcamino65

mikeselcamino65

Hey guy....mike here...I'm new but I have a 51 stude its got the original flat 6 and 3 speed and O.D.
    complete with clutch, pressure plate n all....The guy I got it from said it ran....And I mean I got the whole thing....motor, trans, starter,carb,dist.... make me a offer.... I live in Ohio... I even got the radiator

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Get one with the OD, you won't be disappointed.

18. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Have a running engine and overdrive trans from a 51 pickup. We drove it into the shop to put a Nova clip under the truck. A baby chick sounding price---cheep, cheep, cheep. IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG

20. Dan Locke

Dan Locke

Rich do you still have this? I realize the thread is ancient... fingers crossed!

21. Dan Locke

Dan Locke

22. Dan Locke

Dan Locke

You still have this? Location?

23. Dan Locke

Dan Locke

Do you still have this?

24. SS327

SS327

Rich Fox passed away some time ago.