Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford Gas Tank Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Oct 17, 2017.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Looking for advise from those that have been there, done that. Shopping for a gas tank. Looking for stock looks. 99% sure it will be a normal steel tank.

Searched and found Vintiques had some issues with holes not lining up and some clearance issues around the spreader bolts and the filler not being in the correct location.

Didn't see anything about Tanks, tanks.

I'm leaning towards a Tanks tank. Can anyone post pics of an 11 gallon vs 14 gallon in the car? Have been told by some that a 14 gallon looks like a full diaper on a baby. I can see how that could happen. I would like the extra capacity of the 14 gallon but not if it looks like crap (no pun intended).

Also, I have seen "tank supports for stock style 32 installations" that look like wedges. What's the deal there?

Good/bad on other brands or experiences? Lead me!

Thanks in advance,
    SPark

2. Been using a Tanks for close to 20 years. Only isssue is gas splashing out around cap. That happens on real Ford tanks also. Just don't fill it full. They make a tank with a screw on cap. No splash issue on it. You will have to do a bit of fitting.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

Have had 2 Vintique tanks and had problems with mounting holes not matching original rails. Is this for a fully fendered car or a hiboy as the Tanks unit does not have the triangular bracket which comes from the sides of the mounting flange up onto the top of the tank same as the original. Would be visible on a hiboy and not on fully fendered. That's just if your a Deuce snob.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Tanks company tanks look like real 32's, and be sure to buy the triangle braces and install those as well for more authenticity. Make sure to use a good cap and you shouldn't have any leaking problem. But then again, no tank should leak at the cap.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Going to be a hiboy. Anyone have pics of the triangle braces in place? I’ve never noticed them before but I haven’t really crawled around on any 32’s.
    Thanks,
    SPark

6. I have use 4 Vintique tanks and misalignment was apparent on only one of them,I honestly believe it was the frame that may have been hit at one time or the other,

I just chased the holes with a drill bit and everything lined up perfectly,

Regardless of who's tank you use don't use the bigger capacity tank,they end up looking like a soggy baby diaper. HRP

Andy likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Here's an original tank with the side braces.

32 gas tank.jpeg

I don't know why they don't just install them at the factory? The originals are soldered on.

lothiandon1940, lurker mick and LM14 like this.
  8. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here is a Tanks 14 gal.

32 rdstr (153) (800x600).jpg 32 rdstr (276) (800x600).jpg

9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

WENT WITH A SUMMIT 14 GAL. TANK , & WHILE IT WAS DEEPER IT LOOKED AS ORIGINAL BUT LACKED THE BOTTOM DRAIN DEPRESSION.

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple solution for "Splashing" around the filler & cap.----Use round gas proof fiber made anti spill elements that float around by filler preventing "Slosh" in hard curves, etc.----Try your friendly Harley dealer.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The gas cap in Alchemys post is the one to use ( maybe a vintique) they dont leak. Had a plain cap that was an atrocious leaker, swap it out for the V8 one and never spilled a drop.

12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Once again, thanks to the HAMB for all the info.

Looks like a Tanks 11 gallon with side braces is in my near future! Have a friend with an old school radiator shop that says he will solder the tank braces in place if I get them fitting nice first.

Thanks all!
    SPark

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Does your chassis builder install the doubler plates that go between the frame rails and spreader bar ends, also, the spreader bars come in different lengths, a slight difference can make getting gas tank mounting holes to align with frame holes.

14. I just installed a 13 1/2 gal Tanks in my full fender Tudor with bumpers and cannot see any big problem with it. Now on my high boy I used your standard 11 gal tank. The big tank on a highboy does look to big.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the 32 tank form TanksInc for my 34 cuz I liked the looks of it better on my fenderless car. I used the big capacity tank cuz I had to hack a notch in it to clear my QC. It looks tidy and lost people would never notice which is what I strive for. I am very pleased with the finished product
    upload_2017-10-19_13-22-10.png

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I will check on this. It's a Pete and Jake's chassis with their spreader bar setup. All coming right from them. Figured that would cut down on issues with holes lining up, width differences, etc.

SPark

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is the big one. Doesnt look like a full diaper to me. IMG_0761.JPG DSC02835.JPG

bct likes this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Decided on a Tanks 11 gallon and got the gussets, too. Thanks for the feedback!

SPark

23439272_1987534784837659_2041466032_n.jpg 23416047_1987534788170992_710641504_n.jpg

Bandit Billy, HemiDeuce and bct like this.
  19. 32owner

32owner

my tank is an original I think but I only have one hole someone made a pickup tube and that is in the hole does and original send have both on the same unit so it only has one hole. it had no sending unit and I keep running out of gas time to fix. any one know whats up with my tank

20. brady1929

brady1929

Great info here.

21. Ilari

Ilari

I have a Vintique tank and the holes are not lining up. Also the filler neck is too close to the body. How close it should be? I don’t have a spreader bar yet, I will make it from the scratch.

Attached Files:

22. Ilari

Ilari

Did you modify the holes in the tank or in the frame?