Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gasser frame ????s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axel's40, Oct 16, 2017.

1. axel's40

axel's40

new here, just got back into cars lately, unreal how much has changed in 25-30 years. the amount of info and pre-built parts is amazing. i've picked up a 40 plymouth business coupe lately for a gasser project and wondered how wide (ID) i should build the front frame rails,(using 2x4 square tubing) for main frame rails, 2x3 for rest, bracing ect. using sb chev for power, fenderwell headers. any help or ideas appreciated

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Measure your original frame and see how that works with everything you are going to do with the car.
    there is no set dimension, all body styles are different.
    I am running a double frame rail set up in my Morris Minor Gasser project. A set of rails to mount the engine ,trans, rear and front axle and a second 2x3 rail out at the rockers to mount the body and the cage. They are tied together by 2x3 box tubing. It also makes the car more resistant to flexing.
    There are no pre built parts for my car. I am making everything.
    Check out the Willys build that Quain Stott did when he built his car. That should give you some great ideas.
    Where are you located ?

3. Pick up a Hurst saddle mount for SBC, and the mounts. Speedway has em. You could build according to that. NHRA rulebook has a diagram for the cage points.

4. axel's40

axel's40

thanks for the info,really looking forward towards the build. i,m near New Richmond, Wi.

5. axel's40

axel's40

Thanks man, Im just building it for a weekend driver more than a strip car, do want it safe though.Will check out your ideas with speedway. Had a 66 Tempest with straight axel,s.b. chev back in the 70's ,fell in love with the look. Can't wait

chevy57dude likes this.
  6. axel's40

axel's40

Another question, I dont really want the real high front end look, is the 6" drop the way to go??

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have the car and a tape measure?

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can use a dropped axle and raise the front frame rail at the firewall. Less arch in the springs and mount the shackles on the side of the frame rather than under frame rails will raise the mounting points which will lower the front end. You just need to build your mounts stronger for the shackles because they are on the side. Take a look at older trucks and cars. They do not sit high in the front and have straight axles.
    My Avatar is actually a 37 Plymouth with a Willys nose. Good luck with your build. Some of the Southeast Gasser guys live in Wis. and would probably give you some direction.

9. axel's40

axel's40

Own a pencil too

Bugsy48 and saltflats like this.
  10. axel's40

axel's40

Thanks alot for ideas, alot of it is common sense but being first time builder of complete chassis I appreciate all the input I can get so not to have to do something twice

11. Last '40 gasser I saw was using the stock front end with air shocks to lift it and a B/RB. I prefer the SBC personally but it was a real deal gasser. Driven to the track and raced then driven home or flat towed if it broke.

Anyway all they did was add a pair of Gabriels to the front end and rolled on it.

As for rtubing size if you want to graft something on to hang an axle off is 2 wide and whatever plugs into the original chassis. 1/8 wall and you can taper it after the graft of it is way too deep.

12. raylloyd

raylloyd

I am doing a 41 plymouth gasser...frame, suspension, drive train done. I can get some pictures/measurements if that will help you. I need a couple weeks though, just had a garage built and have some stuff i have to get done on that before winter sets in here in western NY. Feel free to pm me.

13. long island vic

long island vic

call wac for your axle.......860 459 0399 better then the greedway junk..... why not find a mopar to put into it... ive heard people do it

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

PB050002.JPG P9180028.JPG P9180019.JPG P9180018.JPG P9180016.JPG P8040014.JPG pontiwilly.jpg P7140004.JPG Here is my Gasser project. It is a 1936 Pontiac coupe with a fiberglass Willis front end. The frame is completely home built and I can take some measurements for you if you want in a couple days. Gary