Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage cali hotrod reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rd martin, Oct 16, 2017.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

were coming out for our 5 th trip to the reunion, and i feel guilty coming out when you guys out there are going threw such a tuff time with the fires. my heart goes out to all affected. just wanted to say, any of you that are out for the reunion, stop by and say hi if you can. we will be hanging with the fence crow group at about the 800 ft. of the strip, behind stands in the grove. i see you guys out there posting, but have not got to meet many of you. we always have a good time. stop by and ask for rich martin, we should be under one of the canopys.

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't afford it anymore... Sorry when Steve Gibbs left. (Squeezed out if you see it that way)

3. Budget36

Budget36

Where's it at?

4. Bakersfield

5. After being evacuated from the fires for 8 days I need to be there. We’ll be camped along the fence farthest from the track

6. Otto

Otto

Anyone know what to expect at the Double Tree friday night?

Was really dead last year compared to previous years. Was always an event to enjoy.....

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Double Tree should be back like it was. There will be the Honoree induction at 7:30
    and a cackle in the parking lot after.
    I'll have the Ed Pink "Old Master" cackling at the hotel.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Where's it..."at"?
    Weird language. "Where is it" works well without the "at".

Mike

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks guys for the replys. i am in total agreement on the steve gibbs deal. that man built the reunions, and to do what they did is wrong. i have alot of friends that attend the show and have for years, im going to see them, not the nhra. the only thing that could possibly make things better is if steve would come back, but that sure aint going to happen! willys 36, love that willys! will try and look you up on friday.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

will not be going this year - last year was a really frustrating experience for myself, and many others

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i can understand that joker! i wasnt there but sure heard about it! im going to see friends.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was ill last year, missed it. Can someone fill me in on what happened???
    That meet is (was) the highlight of my life! Handy place for all the old friends to gather...right in the center of Kali.

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well mike in a nutshell, nhra hired some new people to come in, changed everything around, as far as cackle cars go, pissed alot of people off who had driven hours to show and cackle, and only took apx 40 cars of 100 got to cackle, they pushed out the man who had this reunion running very well, and now are trying to kiss some ass to put it back like it was. but that aint going to happen. also this has affected some other classes as i hear and thats what happened at bowlingreen, not everybody showed up to race. i think some through went into making it safer and no lawsuits but the way it was handed has ruined it for alot of people. there are other threads on this if you look. .

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$$$$$'s got in the way of common sense. The NHRA is in the business of $$$$$ not racing. Like NASCAR. youngsters don't care by what you see when they show overhead views of the stands.
    The reunion really was an Old Guy deal and guess what......old guys are dying.
    I've heard that bringing in your old car like in the past is another $65 plus paying for the weekend. Too bad as this deal was once for the Museum.

Dean Lowe, Speedwrench and jnaki like this.
  15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i agree with you also jimmy!

16. They are smart enough to pick our own Pete Eastwood as a 2017 Reunion Honoree. I think that is very cool.
    Congratulations Pete!

Mick

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The Cackle deal is $125 for 4 days (parking starts on Thur) that will get you 3 full event passes and 2 vehicle passes( tow rig and push car) and the event is run by the museum and gets the money.

18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you would know bruce since you bringing your car in.

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

The wife and I will be going again this year. We missed last year and all the mess they made of it, I hope they learned some lessons. It sounded like the lawyers and insurance company dictated a bunch of new rules for the exhibition and cackle cars that went over like a turd in a punch bowl.
    What they really need to do (if their lawyers need to pump up their billing hours) is to stop letting golf carts, quads and other stuff in front of the grandstands - pedestrian traffic only. (excepting the legitimately handicapped of course) I can't tell you how many times I've seen a hot shot on his damn cart run over or almost run over someone walking or standing nearby. Add in a few beers and it's just a matter of time before someone gets really hurt and sues.

20. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

21. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Another honoree is Rick Stewart past NHRA starter. The deal for bringing in your old car or hot rod is this: if you want to park in the grove behind the grandstands it's an additional 35.00 for the weekend. That makes you a member of the NHRA Museum for a year and that money goes to the museum. That is for Friday Saturday and Sunday, it's 35.00 for one day or all three that is up to you. Parking is first come first served and we will do our best to make sure you park with your friends as long as you come in pretty close to the same time. If you choose to leave your car in overnight you can do that, or come back the next day and your pass will get you back in the grove, not necessarily the same spot although we will try, and please don't show up at noon and then bitch about your spot, again it's first come first served. No cars will be allowed in the grove on Thursday. This is the third year for this so it's not exactly new. The people that park in there (and believe me it's full) really like it. If you don't want to spend the 35.00 then you will park in the overflow out by the swap meet. Bitching and complaining won't change anything, The Bakersfield Fence Crows took over the parking and we're trying to make it as painless as possible. Please work with us and we certainly will work with you and let's have fun. Hope this answers any questions.

Special Ed and Blues4U like this.
  22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for posting the rules mark!

23. 150J/F

150J/F

I heard that Jimmy Scott is an honoree this year...Congratulations!

Mike

24. Friends are racing might make it up there.
    723 Bob and Don.....good luck.

25. This event is now in my "Been there,done that" listings.....

26. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

gonna go and skip el mirage.see yall there

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well we made it to the reunion, and had a good time. it was different than in the past but good. weather was cool friday morning to start, but got better. hung with the fence crows, always fun group. it was a thinner crowd on friday and that had us concerned. but racing was good. saturday was busy great racing, but still thinner than in the past. without a doubt steve gibbs is missed by many. this was my 6th trip to the reunion, will i go again? i dont know, time will tell. nhra please do your best to mend fences, these reunions have been the best thing for nhra, and you all no it. we did some shop tours like we always do, and my hat is off to bobby walden, walden speed shop! he showed us around, to all his current projects, and wow is all i can say. if you get a chance stop and see there work. these guys have got there shit together! thanks bob. thanks guys for giving your opinion on this thread.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have to agree with RD, the CHRR was time well spent this year. Except for a little Friday rain the weather was perfect. It's true that the overall count seemed to be down across the board with the possible exception of N/FCs but there was plenty of on track action and lots to see everywhere you go. The Grove didn't fill up like in the past and there were fewer "drive in" hot rods in general. Maybe, since this years event was similar to years past they will return.
    Barring any unforeseen circumstances we will certainly go again next year. We may even take one of the hot rods instead of the family truckster. Thanks to all those who worked hard to put on the event, and those who beat up their stuff putting on a show.

29. I drove my Willys out there Friday. Never go on Saturday, my church day. Have projects I have to get done so stayed home Sunday to work in the shop. Friday is my favorite day anyway, low crowds really laid back. Got my nitro/hemi addiction fix so all is well! Seemed like a healthy meet to me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

appreciate you guys jumping in on this. we have really enjoyed this meet over the years, sure hope it will continue strong. we always try to do some side trips when we go. hard to cram in alot in 5 days but we seem to manage. with the problems that went on last year, i hope people see there mistakes in trying to change steve gibbs ideas. we can only hope that the young guys around will see the deep value of what alot of us have loved since we were kids, and help keep this alive. and also keep the museum alive.

KoolKat-57 likes this.