Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sealing a ground bond

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redrodguy, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

What is the preferred method to seal a ground bond? I've used a bonding brush to clear primer and paint from the area where a ground terminal will attach, so that a good connection can be made. What is normally used to protect the exposed bright metal not covered by the terminal? I'm thinking clear nail polish or spray bomb paint - any recommendations?

loudbang likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

or grease.

You live in a relatively dry area, don't you? shouldn't take much. I never bother putting anything over electrical connections, I live in the southwest.

loudbang likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Why clear away the finish only to repaint it again. Everything around the grounds should be clean and bare metal. Star washers help dig into both the bare frame and one side of the terminal ends. I'd also use some sort of conductive grease or perhaps some of that green battery terminal coating that Interstate sells. Gary

Special Ed and loudbang like this.
  4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Synthetic di-electric grease works well. Probably for 2 years before needing touch-up. Super Lube is one good one.
    Marcus...

ClarkH and loudbang like this.

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

FLEX SEAL Saying it as loud as i can.
    seriously, paint will do fine or por 15.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Star washers ... tight connections ... quality fasteners ...

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  7. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Conductive anti seize made for electrical stuff and battery post.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I use dielectric grease. Comes in a little can with an applicator brush built into the can's lid like anti sieze.

9. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Pretty dry climate here - not worried about anything rusting through - at least not in my lifetime! Never thought about using grease because of it collecting dirt. These are the main frame, body and engine ground points and my thought was to keep water from seeping between the terminal and bare steel. Looks like the dielectric grease will be it. Thanks for the replies.
    Don

blackjack and loudbang like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

If you're concerned about grease making a mess, just leave it bare. If you keep the car inside and don't drive it in wet weather too much, it should be fine. Stay away from Bonneville, and don't drive to Michigan in the winter time.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Copper shield..

Oldb and loudbang like this.
  12. Permatex High-Tack gasket sealer or Aviation sealer... Absolutely the best stuff I've found for sealing electrical connections from corrosion on a car. Both are a bit messy and stay slightly tacky indefinitely (the Aviation dries a bit more), but if you get all the surfaces spotlessly clean when assembled, 'painting' the assembled joint will stop corrosion from forming (do at least two coats). You do have to make sure the ENTIRE joint is coated. I've used it on battery terminals, and they have stayed clean for years (usually for the life of the battery).

It is nasty to clean off though, the only downside.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    loudbang and squirrel like this.
  13. upspirate

upspirate

14. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

^. This. Use the aluminum anti seize. It help make the connection, the aluminum provides some galvanic protection and the grease helps seal the water out. Only down side is it messy. I'm in the north east. If you don't do this in a couple of years both the metal and the copper connector will corrode enough to lose the ground. Chasing bad grounds is not a fun job.

I always put a little Vaseline in electrical connectors to keep the corrosion from later causing a bad connection. .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. A threaded hole with -
    • clean threads
    •dielectric grease
    •star washers
    Will be no problems for years and years.

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  16. Believe it or not Hair spray is best for battery cables hot or ground.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am not too keen on using star washers in electrical connections as I think they reduce surface area of the connection and provide voids for moisture and corrosion to develop. Coating the completed bolted connections, as discussed in several posts above, is my preferred choice. Depending on location of the connection, I have used dielectric grease, gasket sealer and weld-thru primer at various times. For spade and bullet connectors, I use dielectric grease.

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

A terminal attached to a threaded hole with clean threads and adequate torque on the bolt will be fine for years, without star washers or goo on it.

adding stuff might make it last forever, which is longer than I'll be around.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

NO-OX-ID "special", a tube or can should last years. I bet if it was thinned out and sprayable it would be a good rustproofing.

IT's cheap, and really works. Used to be required for Ma Bell electrical connections. Good for using on grounds and general anti-corrosion on bolts and fasteners too. Model train guys swear by it for the track.

Http://www.sanchem.com

loudbang likes this.
  20. Have a look at how they do it on aircraft- if it's good enough for Boeing, it's good enough for me.

upspirate likes this.
  21. In the factory they used a terminal that had the star made into it. A hole a sheet metal bolt are screw. It lasted for years and worked fine.

22. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I take a stainless steel bolt of appropriate size and heli-arc the head to the frame. You will have a non corrosive stud to attach to. I always use a brass nut and some dielectric grease to seal it up.
    Zero grounding issues/problems on numerous cars.

Redrodguy, simpsonrl and ceege like this.
  23. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I can almost agree with this other than hairspray is water soluble.

24. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

This is a great idea. And for those of us that live in salt areas, the factory method does not last for long. Copper terminals against steel in salt results in significant galvanic corrosion and intermittent and poor connections. I have personally seen it result in all kinds of computer related problems on newer cars. (Probably not a problem here though).

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What welding rod do you use that is compatible with mild steel (frame) and stainless bolt? Nickle?

Ray

26. 309 stainless

27. Not sure if Ohio is the salt Capitol or not but they use plenty in the winter. Generally I find corrosion on the cable inside the lug and a few inches up the insulation. And hot rods hide when the salt is out.

28. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Any SST welding rod will work including mild steel rod. The disadvantage with steel rod is that it will rust. But you are already painting the frame anyhow.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

309L Stainless is good for cast iron repair but is extremely hard to drill ( carbide bit) and even harder to Tap a quarter turn at a time and lots of lube.

30. Wish I had a nickel for every stainless anchor welded to a mild steel shell.
    308 will stick but fail, 7018 will stick but fail, the 309 rod's weld will outlast both.

image.jpeg V