Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I Just Too Cheap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

went to look at this today, been sitting in this garage since 1951. very solid body, nice doors but lead bumps over dents, nice deck lid, top in basement, but missing lots of little things. good title. I asked what she was looking for in price, replied that she was taking offers. I thought a bit and said $6000, she said I wasn't even close. what do you guys think?
    I'm not gonna make any more offers and she is not interested in having the world know where this is. seems like plenty of local people already know.

Attached Files:

2. Budget36

Budget36

I'd say you made a fair offer, if she thinks you're "not even close", she may have it for quite some time.

Finn Jensen, Wurger and dana barlow like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you search ads here, etc to find something to compare to?

4. 5window

5window

I agree. Plenty of drivers around PA in the 8-10 range, really nice ones at 14 and you aren't getting there for 4-6K in this car. I f you want to pursue it, show her the relevant pages from Hemmimgs.

5. Sounds like a fair offer to me too.

6inarow and Just Gary like this.
  6. rjones35

rjones35

Yep seems fair, unless she's getting her pricing off of one of the TV shows, then it's more like 15-20000.00 probably!!

7. Leave your name and number with her. She might end up having to call you back because I think you offered her more than enough for a car in that condition. Model As are down in value recently.

Wurger and Just Gary like this.
  8. Econ 101: It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Either you're right and she'll accept your offer... Or somebody else wants it badly and will pay more.

Or maybe she's stubborn and will be keeping it for a while.:rolleyes:

Early Ironman, Jugornot and 6inarow like this.
  9. Just go back and take a stack of 100 dollar bills,I have seen people rethink there earlier thoughts when they see you are standing there cash in hand. HRP

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sounds like a good & fair opening offer. I don't play the 'not even close' game. It's in her court to put a price on it now, if she realistically wants to sell it. She may be just fishin'....

Early Ironman and flatford39 like this.
  11. 6inarow

6inarow

EXACTLY!!! ultimately the buyer sets the price - its worth what someone is willing to pay. I thought 6 was fair though

mike in tucson likes this.
  12. I think that was all the money!

13. I'm surprised you even said that high, but it's not a bad offer.

For my most recent motorcycle purchase, the ad said $3500. I looked the bike over and offered him $500. He said someone was on the way right that minute with $4200 in hand. I asked why are we even wasting each others time..

Three days later, he called and said he'd take $500 for it. I gladly paid.

14. I couldn't agree more with Don...

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

Fan the100 dollar bills. All those zeros blind people

Wurger, 6inarow and Montana1 like this.
  16. There are more projects than there are ready willing and able buyers. If you cannot buy at your price walk away something better will soon come available.

Chucky, flatford39 and 6inarow like this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Barrettetjacksonidous: when the worth of a vehicle is determined by watching a televised auction. Usually, the worth is estimated higher than fair market value.

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i think she has watched to much gas monkey garage or counting cars and thinks the las vegas prices are what everyone pays for project cars now a days

Jugornot, samurai mike, czuch and 2 others like this.
  19. xix32

xix32

That's a 1931 roadster, I would say if it were a year newer you would not even be close. But for a model "A" you bid a fair price. Not all old cars are very sought after, sometimes the older they get - the less they are worth.

czuch and 6inarow like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

You know the restorers won't be a problem, even if it is a 1931 Deluxe Roadster, your offer was a fair starter. Bob

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Had a lady tell me 20k for her coupe a few years ago. I left her my number and said to call me if she changed her mind. 4 years later imagine my surprise when she called me.

I could have had it for 5k, id just picked up a model t project so I had to let it pass. She didn't like the guy she sold it to, so he paid 8k

Short version, your offer seems solid in my book

22. dan31

dan31

She has no idea what its worth. She may have been told for years how great a car it is and how it's worth sooo much money or she's just "fishing" because she figures anyones first offer is low. I wouldn't give more than what you offered.

Nathan_1929 and flatford39 like this.
  23. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I've seen jerks on my local Craigslist with a rusty, smashed-up piece of junk that they want $20-30K for, with the line of "I've seen them on Barrett-Jackson go for this. I make my money now, you make it back when you finish the car." And they're serious!

Bearcat_V8 and mike in tucson like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't think too many "Joe Average" types sit through Barrett Jackson, the prices they see on Vegas Rat Rods TV show are to blame IMO. :confused:Bob

25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Mike, she's got a 31 and she's probably thinking 32 prices not knowing how much difference that one year makes. I think you made a fair offer.

pat59 likes this.
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Does she realize it's not a 1932?

27. flatford39

flatford39

That a very fair offer for that. It is actually spot on. There are other fish in the sea.

28. metalman

metalman

I seem to have more issues with ladies selling a car by far then guys. Tried to buy a stocker 35 3 window for 5 years, offered 15K but 82 year old lady insisted she knew restored 35 3 windows are worth 35K. I could not get her to understand that her late husband putting a cheap paint job on it and even cheaper upholstery in it in 1969 (!) meant it was restored! She never budged and eventually passed away, the week after her son sold it for 12K.
    Had a widow wanted to hire me to help sell her late husband's collection since she "didn't have a clue what they are worth" or how to go about it. After spending (wasting) a couple days and driving 600+ miles to see them and present her with market research it turned out she wanted 3 times what they were worth! I just told her I couldn't help her, I can't perform magic.
    I like that 31 roadster but I'm like everyone else, 6000 was a strong offer. Let her sit on it awhile, she will either get the idea or her kids can sell it at her estate sale.

31hotrodguy and czuch like this.
  29. 56shoebox

56shoebox

If she calls you back and said she reconsidered tell her you have to and you'll give her $4k for it. It's a two way street and greedy people suck,

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

I agree with the last post let her call you back and then drop the offer because you passed on several cars waiting for her reply. you offered more than I would have.

czuch likes this.