Register now to get rid of these ads!

In honor of Barry Lobeck, picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kelly Burns, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ronnie-
    Sorry about the loss of you father-in-law. He left a true imprint on our hobby.

I think that this thread was a show of respect for Barry. Maybe Kelly just wanted us to see some great pictures that we may have never seen anywhere else before. Not all of have access to the Hub. If those pictures were yours, thank you for making them available, and welcome to the board.

2. Hotweel

Hotweel

The first time I read about Barry was in a Hot Rod magazine in the 1970's. The feature was on a sweet black '40 Ford with a wicked flame job. Gray Baskerville used to give him crap for having hair like Harpo Marx!

Just Gary likes this.
  3. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I met Barry many years ago whenI was a young boy. I dont remember very much of it though.
    However, I do know that Barry is the man who saved the roadster my pop has now. A survivor car built in the mid 50s. It was brought into Barrys shop for a refreshen job, but Barry wisely recommended not to destroy and old survivor but to build a new car. This likely worked out best for everyone. The original owner/guy who wanted the updated car got a new body and chassis. The rest of us get another true survivor to enjoy.

4. n847

n847

The Ohio Style...I grew up in Ohio and you guys are dead on there's 2 or 3 cars with in 10 miles of where I grew up that have the "Lobeck Look" He had the eye. If you don't want to call it traditional, thats fine but if I had never grown up looking at these cars I never would have made my way here to learn the gospel of "traditional" hot rods! Most of the young guys on this board came from mini trucks or lowriders so we all made our way here one way or another. I say his eye and style was a good way to get to where we are today! I'm proud of the Ohio style, and I'm sure if and when I can afford a 32 it will be a hi-boy and I will have a set of polished big-n-little Halibrands for when I want to remember my child hood "heros".

And to disrespect the guy by saying he was no more talented than Boyd is just down right shamefull...I'm betting you could go look at more than a few of Boyd's cars and see the "Ohio Look" well after Lobeck did it (and before he had guys building it for him).
    [​IMG]

We all know Boyd wasn't building his own cars by himself for his last 15-20 years and that doesn't take anything away from his legacy!

5. Sorry for your loss.

With respect to the photos....not sure I actually saw where Kelly was taking credit for the pics. I don't think the intent was to disrespect you or Barry. fwiw.

6. It takes a lot of gall to make that statement after going to your profile and seeing you started a thread on trading stamps and American Pickers.

At least the so called street rods have some relevance to the HAMB.....

At least the so called street rods in this thread have a relevance to a deceased hot rod builder from Ohio that left impressions on some of us here in the midwest that set the standard for how many cars have been built for the last 40 years. Including some west coast cars.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Ditto, When I read this I did not see any disrespect. I went to google images and just about every photo on this thread can be found by searching Barry Lobeck.

Always liked his cars, and it is one of my favorite look's. He certainly inspired a lot of builds.

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I met Barry in the mid 70's, and we became good friends. In December 1976, Barry flew me to Ohio, to build the chassis for his first, dark red 32 hiboy. I did the work in Bill Metz's shop in Springfield. There were a bunch of good guy's in that original Springfield group.

Pete Eastwood

9. Ronnie B White

Ronnie B White

Pete he always told that story about how it was snowing here and you came to see snow also and ended up with a bad cold before you went home.

10. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

No mater what... he was a Cool Fun Guy............with the LOOK.....If anyone takes offence TOO BAD.......

11. Took this shot at the Western Maryland street rod roundup many years ago..........

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. <TABLE id=post7315409 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7315409 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: In honor of Barry Lobeck, picture thread
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by T McG [​IMG]
    It's unfortunate that he gets all the credit when he never turned the wrenches. He had a great crew doing all the work. At least Boyd had the talent to actually build something.

Sorry to be negative about a dead guy but I never liked the man. He never gave anybody credit for the cars he bought or had somebody build for him.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Not very classy to come on an internet forum and badmouth a guy long after he's dead,... not very classy at all.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

<TABLE id=post7315409 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7315409 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: In honor of Barry Lobeck, picture thread
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by T McG [​IMG]
    It's unfortunate that he gets all the credit when he never turned the wrenches. He had a great crew doing all the work. At least Boyd had the talent to actually build something.

Sorry to be negative about a dead guy but I never liked the man. He never gave anybody credit for the cars he bought or had somebody build for him.

Not very classy to come on an internet forum and badmouth a guy long after he's dead,... not very classy at all.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

"Not very classy to come on an internet forum and badmouth a guy long after he's dead,... not very classy at all. "

X30<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Barry's flamed 40 was a big influence on my first car. I saved that copy of Hot Rod Magazine. I couldn't find a 40, but did find a 39 Deluxe. That car was black, flamed with a Pontiac engine. Later in its life, I did get the hood louvered to complete the look that I wanted. When I first saw that feature, it just stuck with me.

14. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

If my post in anyway showed any disrespect for Barry, or anyone in the Lobeck family I truly appologize. My admiration for Barry dates back to when I was a little kid. Even when I was a member of a local street rod club, some of the guys called me "Lobeck Jr." based on how much I thought and talked about him and ran to him for advice.

I re-read my posts and don't know where is displayed disrespect. But do appologize again if they read in any way other than reflective of my respect!

I didn't see anything I said that would lead anyone to think the pictures I posted were ones that I had taken, including the one of the blue Vickie, that I did take. I can see where I should have cited where the pictures did come from that I posted, and for that I also appologize.

If I have left any question as to my respectful feelings towards Barry or the Lobeck family, please feel free to call me, my number is in my avitar, as well as below my signature.

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Barry had a real passion for hotrods.He wasnt in it for the money.The money just came because of his passion.I met him at the NSRA nationals in Columbus ,Ohio .I came up to his vendor space and noticed back behind his products was a pair of ETIII wheels.I noticed everyone in his space was eyeing and asking questions about the new products for sale,Mustang II set ups etc. and no one seemed to even notice the ET`s. I mentioned this to Barry in disbelief and Barry said everyone knows he loves those and someone had brought the pair to the show to sell them to him.He passed the customer he was talking to off to one of his help and walked over to the wheels with me and said,they just dont get it.In that moment he completely forgot about his business and was engulfed in conversation about his love of hotrods.I am glad and honored to have met him.

16. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Kelly Burns......Your one COOL, Stand up guy....And I don`t even know you.....

17. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I never saw those pictures of Dave's body in the pickup bed
    I gave him my window moldings till he found another set and gave me
    Yep..the car looks Fantastic after all those years

lucky ink likes this.
  18. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I've known Barry since the Gatlinburg days in the 70's....when I would see him many times later, he always had time to talk...in fact at his last Nationals in Louisville, I sat at his booth for about 30 minutes discussing old times and his health condition. Even in the early days, he always had bitchin rides...I agree with others on here..It's a helluva deal when some clown starts downgrading a guy with this much talent, especially following his death. Barry was my long time friend and I miss him very much....RIP ole buddy...Joe

19. bdr1

bdr1

My father was very good friends with Barry. He was around most of my childhood. Related bump note: The Wicked Express just pooped up on ebay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/202075470484

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, old thread, no problem here.
    Barrys' first deuce roadster was very inspirational for me when building my car.

Photo credits @Pewsplace
    Lynn
    Been looking for my magazines with Barry Lobecks first roadster, do you have any of those early photos, specifically shots from the rear with those Firestones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here is his first outing in Columbus in 1978.

Lobeckscars001.jpg Lobeckscars006.jpg Lobeckscars003.jpg

22. IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

I never met the man but I'm somewhat familiar with his cars. His last 32 (supposedly) went across the auction block earlier this year.

Seems to be quite a departure from his earlier style.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

1A38D88A-1687-4411-9847-B4E631259A0E.png 97D7DAF9-817F-43F1-983E-6FAC96A5D178.png 1942DE1A-1BBC-4D3C-B646-9299129324A5.png (Lynn’s pix),
    Chassis by Eastwood, so I see no way that this car or many others that Barry -The V8 Shop , Dave Gale’s Just-a-Hobby and his many talented employees could be mid-construed as Street Rod Builders, I don’t ever remember seeing a whole lot of Billet on the Hot Rods that he made.

He was a guy which just as many of us have at one time or another utilized other Hot Rod Companies Products, He really bought parts by Pete & Jake’s Hot Rod Repair at the time of that 1st roadsters build which included a Halibrand Quickie and Dirt Track Tires on Halibrands on the front and rear then later ET III’s in the rear with the greatest rake by P-Wood ever built.

So I guess the look of that chassis really should be credited to Barry’s California Connection and in all my time growing up with watching these kats build, drinking a Michelobe on the tailgate of P-Woods Blue 71 El Co, The guys built Hot Rods.
    EC2E0825-32E9-4597-9B5F-F7DB7499EAA9.png
    P-Wood, Chapouris, Jake or Vaughn were never referred to as Street Rodders or any kind of Billet builder (although Lil John did whittle the posts for PC2 ‘s father day gift in 78 =SIROD2 way before billet was being used on “Street Rods”) . FA7C5623-2BA7-4262-A392-CE73392DC8FC.png

Barry didn’t know me I’d say, but I was introduced to him on several occasions, we talked about the 32, it’s subsequent owners and it’s style. I never found him to take credit for the build entirely.

Can’t believe that he’s been gone for nearly 7 yrs now.......

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    KKrod, mgtstumpy and bowie like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Kevin
    As long as these scooters are roaming the streets he will be with us.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

Lots of cool Ohio hot rods.....Barry and Dave Gale had a lot to do with that!

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

It's just never the same when guys like him are gone. Just have to be thankful for the influence they left behind.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, and it was called "the Ohio look".

29. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

image.jpg I was influenced by the " Ohio look" in the 70's and even today I believe that look/stance is forever in the back of my brain when I look at a 32. We have a 32 coupe in the shop that came from Barry's shop that my buddy bought from the fellow who commissioned Barry to build from a stock 5 window coupe. Haven't had it out in several years but I driven many times and I still use it as a standard when someone says they have a nice deuce coupe or when one is being built in the shop. I'm amazed how well the coupe has held up over the years. Might just have to bring it out and let some people see what a great car it is and what all the fuss was about that "Ohio look"

catdad49 and mgtstumpy like this.
  30. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

B511D43D-DD3F-436A-AB17-ABD4564E6741.jpeg 584728E8-35D7-4420-82D4-5379DDF436D2.jpeg 0776365A-9445-46EA-9FA8-F2E329D5B693.jpeg 02631546-B102-444C-82DB-D6BA3BC6E18D.jpeg EEA5E069-228D-47CF-8F94-92B54FC50F9E.jpeg Well I’ve been thinking about the “Barry” coupe and I’m planning on getting her out and seeing that she looks proper.
    We have a set of serial numbered (#13) special edition wheels built in rememberance of Barry’s passing by billet specialty that has never been on the car and some polish and tune up
    She’s got a ford hi performance crate engine(351w stroked to 397 cid 450 hp) 5 speed tremac with 9 inch rear 3.73 rear gear
    Think she’ll be at the goodguys nashville run and take her on the TANK run for hot rod of the year