Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead fuel pump stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, Oct 7, 2017.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Hoping to get educated here on the different fuel pump stands for the Ford Flathead. I have two o them that are an elongated oval here the pump bolts up and I have a bunch of pumps that are a much smaller oval (almost round). I would like to use the fuel pumps I have (especially the ones without a glass sediment bowl) but I don't know what I need to make this work. The car is a 31 Ford roadster with a 49 Merc 8BA.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. No offense @flatford39. But how about some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This is on my 1951 8BA. Hope it helps. All you need is a stand, a gasket and the push rod. The pump bolts to the stand. Is this what you asked for?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If you're comparing your pumps to use, use the one that looks like this....
    Part # 91011527
    $40.99
    each

This the one that I am using from Speedway on my 1951 8BA. They are the same for 1949-53

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

5. flatford39

flatford39

Thanks...I have the stand but it doesn't match up to any fuel pumps I own. The stand has an elngated oval opening where the pump bolts up to. Does this pump have that as well. All my pumps are closer to a round opening than the elongated oval.

6. Your pumps are probably for earlier engines, '34-48 used a different stand than the 8BA style engines.

7. Canus

Canus

Is it possible the elongated opening in the stand is to allow for movement of the pump arm? The pump should not need an elongated hole.

8. flatford39

flatford39

Thanks for all the help here. It looks like I have the early pumps and a later fuel stand. One more question. The car is a 31 Ford roadster and I am using the original gas tank. It has the indented firewall. I am putting in an 8BA with dual Ford 94's. Do I even need a fuel pump or will the gravity tank handle the dual carbs??? It would be a lot cleaner if I could just avoid a fuel pump.

9. If you do eliminate the fuel pump, don't drive up any hills. The gravity feed on the Model A worked OK with the low mounted carb. Your carbs will be much higher.

10. flatford39

flatford39

Then I should probable consider an electric fuel pump. Something like the K&M that speedway sells that has an internal regulator.

11. flatford39

flatford39

I was looking back at a bunch of pictures I saved and found Loud pedals beautiful 31 roadster that is using the original gas tank and yes he is using a mechanical fuel pump. Looks like I will do what others have said and go that route.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Need to see pictures of your fuel pumps.