Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1963 Falcon Futura build... DONE...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JB_roadrage, Aug 9, 2013.

1. KitsBeach

KitsBeach
    from Vancouver

It's a very cool car.

JB_roadrage likes this.
  2. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Yes sir, I am doing so.. luckily I have a doctor that will actually listen to what i tell him, and together we have made some pretty good progress..

and I'm sure a good machine shop could balance the flex plate to work, but my wife doesn't know that, and I'm using it for an excuse to put the 428 down in it... lol

3. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Thank ya again sir..

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Good to hear about the progress.

Not sure what 428 you have, but I've heard and read about them kinda being the underdog.
    Well I tell ya...a buddy put a 428 CJ/4 spd from a 68(?) Torino CJ or whatever it was into his street 68 Mustang coupe. Intake, headers and MAYBE a cam...not sure on that part. 3.89 gears on a Traction-loc.
    It was a beast.
    If they're underdogs I'll take "underdog" any day of the week!

Can't think of another car that impressed me more. Definately was NOT expecting the power and sound from that supposedly big heavy lump. LoL

You're gonna have fun with a 428 in that little thing. :D

JB_roadrage likes this.
  5. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Well ol pal.. this is a special 428, at least to me.. My dad built this engine back in the late 60's, and had it in a 54 Ford until a drunk hit it while it was parked in front of the house.. since then it has been sitting in the garage collecting dust.. It'll be nice to see the smile on the ol mans face when he hears it pounding the ground again..

Hackerbilt likes this.
  6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wow...thats even better!
    If there ever was a reason to run it, thats it right there!

JB_roadrage likes this.
  7. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Yes sir.. we put the short block together yesterday, but hit a snag with the pin in the new timing chain gear.. there wasn't one... so tomorrow I'm going to run up to my buddys place to use his press to rectify that situation, and finish up building dads 428... I guess I should also note that the engine/trans combo is the exact same way he ran it, except for the bellhousing and carbs... everthing else he bought in the 60's..

Hackerbilt likes this.
  8. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been that long since I’ve updated this thread..

Me.. I had to quit working due to my health.. We got the mixed connective tissue disease somewhat levelled off for now.. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with a couple other things, but it is what it is..

The Falcon.. Since my last post the 428 was put in and the car ran great.. I drove the hell out of it.. but it kept loosing coolant, it wasn’t leaking, but it was going somewhere.. I finally tracked it down to the intake gaskets, so I changed them.. So after fighting this a couple more times I just took the original heads that dad had on the engine to the machine shop, I’ll pick them up Monday.. All I can figure is either the heads I had on it, were milled enough to throw the mating surface off, or the engine block is.. I shouldn’t have that problem with the heads that it always had..

Now I know that isn’t a real big update for the six years since I’ve posted in here.. But when I had to stop working, the pay checks stopped as well.. I’ve since got my retirement going so I’m doing alright now, but I’m unable to really work on my car the way I use to.. So for anything more than changing spark plugs, I have to wait until my sons in town.. Which makes progress rather slow.. But it should be on the road again by next weekend..

Here’s what it looks like now.. and what it sounds like..

https://youtube.com/shorts/mJNwXOofyZ8?feature=share

Attached Files:

firstinsteele and seb fontana like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Excellant! That you for surviving your health issues and posting! Bring the idle up a couple hundred rpm, :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    JB_roadrage likes this.
  10. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Believe it or not it’s idling right at about thousand rpms..

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, it looks and sounds great! Has your Dad heard it yet?

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thats about right; they always a sound slow to me!

13. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Thank ya sir, yes he's heard it

14. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

They do to me as well..