Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Ford Coupe - Jay Leno's Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slingshot392, Oct 3, 2017.

1. slingshot392

slingshot392

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A different take on a 51 Ford but done to perfection.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I generally like sectioned shoebox coupes, but this is the least appealing one I've seen. Don't get me wrong, the workmanship is excellent and the mechanicals are fine, but I think they took a little too much out. It's kinda odd; I like shoebox sedans chopped (if done right, it gets rid of the faux rear quarter window and makes the side view less awkward), while I don't think the coupes need to be chopped at all. It's all a matter of proportion.

4. topher5150

topher5150

...almost to perfect

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 - this ride has had a lot of coverage - but, has too much of a mix of ideas and does not have styling flow that compliments the beauty of a '51

seb fontana and tubman like this.
  6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find the leather hood safety straps particularly clashing with the overall theme.

8. Although the car is well built and the detail is exceptional,it doesn't trip my trigger and I love the shoe box Fords,but even in their stock form they are nicely proportioned cars.

I'll take a simple built 49-51 any day of the week. HRP

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wouldn’t kick it out of the garage. Quality build. Sectioned too much. Looks disproportionate.
    Interior and engine compartment to die for.
    That steering wheel was doing a lot of shaking up to speed. Maybe tire balance issues?
    Fun to watch jay going over the details. He’s definitely a car guy.

trollst likes this.
  10. I really like the overall 'shape' of the car, but it has way too many 'too cute' details, a seemingly common failing of a lot of high-$$$ builds.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. 34Larry

34Larry

Wicked Fab. is just a couple of miles to the east of me, in the Green River Valley south of Seattle, in the little town of Auburn Washington. A neighbor of mine did own a shop in the same location years ago and built the same quality cars there then. Wicked as evidenced here can put out some grand cars if you have the deep pockets it takes to get that done. I find not a darn thing wrong with that at all, more power to those who can do that and have a truly magnificent machine such as see here and offer the car world the chance to see what these outstanding shops can build.
    Some criticize this car for little things, and while that is not my style I do think the Ford looks "pinched in" from the front view. I'd give it a 95 out of 100 for sure.
    Extremely excellent job Wicked. Although I never had the opportunity to know Bruce, a local guy I would have liked to have known, I wish him Gods speed and blessings.

Now Wicked if you'll just call me up and offer to redo my just completed 34, (pro bono) of course it will give you guys a chance to show the custom/hotrod world what you can do with another classic Ford street rod. Ok, Ok just dreaming, allow a poor old man that at least.

12. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm not even sure that's a 51, why go back to 49/50 taillight quarters and trunk hinges???? The rt end of the dash has a 49/50 look too. That said, I would not kick it out of the barn, beautiful workmanship!! Ralphie

seb fontana likes this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Back when I was a teenager, a buddy's older brother gave me a box of old Hot Rod magazines.....this cover was my introduction to sectioned shoe box Fords.
    Still have that box of magazines.....plus a few more!

14. 2935ford

2935ford

I get what he was after in this build......the European thing.......I like it......well done!

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I am highly predigest and opinionated when it comes to shoe box Fords.. It is well done but alas not to my liking but it doesn't matter; its what the customer wanted..Seems that the customers health failed before he got to enjoy it and that bothers me more than anything else..

16. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Wicked car,Very Sad ending!

17. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Very well done car. Too many mixed metaphors. Hate the grille. Body sectioned too much. I hate this car. Way too nice a car to suck so much.

18. Ehhhhh not my style. My son's building a 50 club coupe he's had since he was 15. He's 44 now. He's building it to race in the Sandhills Challenge race here in Nebraska. Fat tires and wide wheels front and rear....twin turbo [O/T] 427 LS motor with a 6 speed. Big 9 inch/coil overs and shop made front suspension. It's more my speed 'cept for the engine.
    It's gonna be bad ass! All NOS sheetmetal except the top. Yeah, I know...it's got 49 trunk hinges and door handles...also has a full 49 grille. Jeremysbox12_15.jpg

19. 34Larry

34Larry

No comment on what you posted here. I justwant to see more of the car in your avatar, it looks Wicked also and as you can see I'm into those 34/33's.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just had this thought. Remember when you were in grade school and there was always a rich kid that had a top of the line bicycle? Not only did it have all of the standard goodies (tank horn, built in head light, maybe even the "springer" front suspension), but it was replete with extras like handlebar streamers, a fancy luggage rack, 6 or 8 extra reflectors, etc. In high school, that kid also had a new Bonneville with skirts, curb feelers, dual antennas, and maybe even an accessory chromed trumpet horn. I think this is what happens when that kid grows up.:D

21. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Great car. Mr Wick claims that they were going for a period european styled Ford. If you look at it that way, they nailed it. Not everyone's cup of tea but very nice. Sounds like it needs about 100 lbs of sound deadener but I guess race cars don't need it. :)

seb fontana likes this.