Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Banjo Choice for AV8 ???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Mac, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Mike Mac

Mike Mac

Looking for a juice brake rear end for my Model A roadster project. I'm thinking that a rear end swap might be more cost effective than modifying my stock banjo to accept hydraulic backing plates. Can the experts here can tell me what year / model will go in without too much drama, or am I barking up the wrong tree???

Thanks, Mike

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Mike, I'm no expert but I do have a 31 AV8 and I used a 39' passenger car rear end. It did require cutting off the factory spring mounts and welding the new spring over the rear mounts on. I also have to have a new narrower main leaf made up due to the new spring hangers being slightly more in board than the stock model a location. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My avatar is an A V8 and I'm building a 30 Sport Coupe A V8 and have used stock rear ends in both of them. 39 - 48 Ford brakes will bolt on with a notch cut in the backing plate to clear the stock spring perch. The diameter of the axles and the taper is the same from 28 to 48, the difference in the rear end is the carrier and the ring and pinion are smaller on the 28 to mid 32 rear ends. The later rear ends are wider and will make a difference if you are running fenders. Sorry I don't have a better picture but if you look closely at the backing plate on the sawhorse you can see the notch below the hole for the wheel cylinder, the notch is behind the emergency brake lever (silver piece below the wheel cylinder) on the assembled brake and really isn't that big. The brake line is close to the spring perch but clears everything.

Attached Files:

soonrodder, dwollam and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. Model As you can really see the rear from behind, I like the look of a banjo. I'm running a modified banjo in my '28 (not on the road yet). I'm running 35/36 bells, 46 open truck center, 41 axle shafts, there's a guy in here that makes bolt on spring perches.

5. e z i

e z i

I'm using the stock banjo in my 31, with a 59a and a 37 transmission and have had no issues.
    I used f1 brakes, but I had to build backing plates..next time I'll just use 39-48 brakes, Almost a bolt on..
    IMAG1049.jpg

soonrodder, 31modelo, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Mike,
    I run a '42 rearend in my car. I moved the crossmember back and run the spring behind location, it dropped the car quite a bit. I also have a reverse eye spring front and rear.

My car is a fenderless vehicle and with the channel in the back and my tire combo this works well with about an 1" of clearance on each side.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_5383.JPG IMG_5384.JPG IMG_5385.JPG IMG_5476.JPG IMG_5636.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Those House of Fab bolt-on spring hangers are good alternative to cutting up old A bells for the hanger. My kids used them a couple times to hang an A (or T) spring on a later banjo when building an A/V-8. Stole a picture off their ad in the classifieds.
    DSC01292.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    35PU, 31hotrodguy and dana barlow like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Those look nice and appear to be a lot easier than the weld on mounts I used. I just might have to buy a set in case I do another AV8 again! Thanks!

9. 2935ford

2935ford

'39 banjo under my 29 roadster.

10. Mike Mac

Mike Mac

Thanks a lot guy's! I plan to keep her fendered so Gomez's post about the modified 39-48 backing plates sounds like the way to go. Much cheaper than trying to ship a complete rear end too, Lol

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Old timer once told me ...
    That whatever rear you choose to use, flip the old girl on her back and there will be a web running from the torque tube flange back and eventually smoothing into the housing... the #s stamped into that web are the # of teeth on the gears... by deviding one into the other will give you it's gear ratio...hope it helps or at least saves you a buck...

12. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I used a 41 axle in mine. I think the '39-'41 are going to be the ones with factory installed juice brakes and have a width that work with or without fenders.

IMG_0270.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I didn't even think to ask if you were open wheel or fendered as that would definitely make a difference. I guess in my mind assumed all AV8's were open wheeled. Lol. That's what I get for assuming. Glad found the info you needed!

14. Mike Mac

Mike Mac

Hey guy's, Are the 39 thru 48 car brakes the same as the 1/2 ton truck brakes? Specifically, will '48 1/2 ton rear brakes fit the Model A banjo?

Thanks, Mike

15. Nope, '48 would be an F-1 truck and the rear brakes are not compatible with an early Ford rear axle. Up to '47 1/2 ton trucks used the same brakes as cars other than the e-brake cables were different on the '40's open drive banjos.

16. Those are the ones and he makes 2 different versions depending if you need an angle or not. He made those after I already modified the cut off A units I had.

17. Mike Mac

Mike Mac

Thanks Rich B,
    I appreciate all you guy's sharing your expertise with a newly like me.

MM

18. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

If you're willing to run open drive train, look for a 3-speed toploader (synchro) and rear end from a '48 - '51 F-1 half ton. The width is right, as are brakes, gears, and the look!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Great info on this thread.

20. Should be mentioned that a switch to open drive with the loss of the torque tube adds the need to figure out a different way to locate the axle and, more importantly, control the axle torque.

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says '41 to '47 are the pick up rear ends that keep the banjo look....
    I have run F1 "front" brakes on traverse spring spindles...

22. verde742

verde742

What is the overall width of a stock Model A rear end? AND the overall width of a 1940 Ford Pass. rear end ?
    thanks

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've fitted 39-48 juice brakes to a Model-A banjo before. It's involved but a lot easier than converting a late V8 Banjo to fit your car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. walter

walter

I am running a 36 banjo with 39 juice brakes on my 29. Width is good and I like the smaller diameter bells. Looks a little cleaner to me!
    Walter

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

panicmike likes this.