Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 conversion Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Thomas Marmont, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Thomas Marmont

Thomas Marmont

T5 conversion i have a 48 merc with the 3spd. I been thinking of doing a T5 setup. I have the stock rear end still will i need to change out for a new rear end. Also were do get all the parts. Also what speed cable do I need. Should I use the s10 trans or ford t5 out of the mustang s. i know I the clutch pressure plate clutch disc adapter open drive shaft conversion. What can use for trans mount for the tail shaft. How much are the parts all going to cost? Can i do this for under 2k.?

2. Never2low

Never2low

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did a 39 Ford for a friend a few years ago. Used a Corn Huskers adapter ,S-10 5 speed had to grind a little off the input shaft . Used a Flathead pressure plate with a GM clutch disc. At the same time did a parallel leaf conversion and used a Granada rear end. About hardest part was other than just the amount of labor was installing the throw out bearing shaft into the adapter bell housing. Had to cut that rear tab off the tail shaft to clear the cross member.
    Finding one of the older S-10 trannies may be tough depending on your location. A GPS speedo will solve your speedo problems if you can't figure it out. It is a good swap. Would do it again if I ever get another flathead powered car for myself.

4. You will need a t-5 out of a Chevy S-10 pickup or earlier Jeep Cherokee with the shifter in the middle if you are using a bench seat.
    Most all other t-5's have the shifter at the back which only works with bucket seats.
    And most of the ones you find will be set up for an electric Speedo. The mechanical Speedo ones are harder to find

5. Thomas Marmont

Thomas Marmont

How do I hook up the speedo cable to the stock speedometer in my 48 merc?

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

If you have a T5 set up for an electronic speedo and you want to keep a cable driven speedometer we have a GPS based solution that drives original cable driven speedometers, Classic Speed. You can check out spec's and install information in the pdfs and I also have a thread for it on the HAMB or check my website.

Attached Files:

7. alchemy

alchemy

If you are lucky enough to find an early S-10 trans with mechanical speedo, the stock cable end should fit right on the Chevy trans. I'm pretty sure they are the same size and threads.

8. mkubacak

mkubacak