Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 390 fe white smoke but not head hasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy86, Sep 28, 2017.

1. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Got ford galaxie thats running like crap. Almost acts like vaccum leak or misfire. It has white smoke coming out of the exhaust that kind of smells like gas little bit. Almost like it's running rich but I check timing is good. Recently I got a Edelbrock RPM intake the 71 05. I am not using no antifreeze, or is it mixing with oil. I'm stumped any help could help thanks in advance. Also lately I've been getting a alot of vapor lock while using a plastic line filter. I took it off and just ran the line straight to the carburetor and now I have good fuel pressure. Thanks again for any help I can get. Any input will be helpful

2. Slopok

Slopok

If it's an automatic you mite be suckin trans fluid back thru a vacuum line.

3. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

I didnt s see trans fluid anywhere. It is automatic tho. I did a smoke test an only play got smoke coming out of is the top carb like normal.

LV 57 SEDAN DE VILLE likes this.
  4. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

I can post a short video tomorrow

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Slopok means the modulator on the trans may be ruptured, which is not rare ... pull the vacuum line off the trans - if fluid runs out, that's a ruptured modulator.

6. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Ok ill look at that tomorrow. The odd thing ran perfect with single plane intake but got leak so upgrade to dual plane.

7. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Smokes more when warms up. Like coulds of smoke. It was also stalling like vapor lock

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Is it going through water or over heating?
    It could have a blown head gasket or a cracked head, no oil and water mixing, but water is going into the cylinders and burning to create the white smoke?
    Any auto parts store has a kit/tool for sale. You put some fluid in the tube and stick the tube in the radiator.
    With the engine running, if there is any carbon monoxide in the coolant, it will change colors.

The idea is, if you have water going into the cylinder, the exhaust has more pressure then the cooling system, and it will get into the coolant if there is a leak.
    Just a handy tool to have around the shop.

9. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

I dont think its head gasket or anything cause ran for many hours now an havent lost any antifreeze. Its also more gas / an or oil smell. It only start doing it after new intake.

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It could sucking oil in at the intake manifold gaskets.

11. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Thats what i thought but havent notice any oil missing. Tomorrow going post a video cause this got me stump. Thanks everyone that responded so far.

12. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I'm betting intake gaskets.That big chunk of aluminum has a different expansion rate than the big chunk of iron that it is bolted to, so the leak gets worse when it warms up.
    Intakes can be a bitch to seal on an FEs.
    I have had the best luck with steel core FelPro gaskets.... and I retorque the intake after I run it a while.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. X2... You need lots of patience to make certain that nothing gets moved out of place when installing the manifold on an FE.
    If you are going to remove and re-install the manifold yourself, instead of wrecking your back, an easier way of lifting the manifold, is to tie the manifold to a 2x4 across the fenders ( with suitable padding on the fenders to prevent scratching). Then one person can easily lift the manifold off the engine or place the manifold without disturbing the gaskets.
    Bob

65fordguy86 and 302GMC like this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

FEs are bad about manifold leaks because oil gets to the top side of the intake gasket under the valve cover.

65fordguy86 likes this.
  15. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Is there a way see about oil leak in intake before tearing it apart

16. Here is one way to find an oil leak using dye and a UV light.
    Bob

17. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

I did the cab cleaner trick an it revs up on sides by valve cover. Guessing taking intake back off .. thanks everyone

302GMC likes this.
  18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

When I worked for a car dealer we sold a Lincoln Continental Mark III. A few days later I saw a tower of white smoke on the road and the guy comes rolling onto the lot cussing the salesman out saying he was going to sue him for selling a car with a cracked block. I could smell the transmission fluid burning, put in on the hoist, pulled the vacuum line off the modulator and transmission fluid ran out.

65fordguy86, tomtherailnut and Slopok like this.
  19. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Thanks . It was sucking transmission fluid threw the hose. Took the line off an plug it an stop smoking besides a likm going assume stuff still in pipe

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

One thing transmission fluid does is clean the carbon off the pistons. A new modulator and you should be good there. You still could have a vacuum leak somewhere around the manifold.

65fordguy86 and tomtherailnut like this.
  21. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

I do. Got nee gaskets coming Sunday. Thanks again

22. Slopok

Slopok

Don't know where you're from but hook it back up and drive around the neighborhood to aid in the mosquito abatement program!;) I'll bet Knee gaskets are gonna hurt.:eek:

65fordguy86 likes this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might want to check and retorque the intake before pulling it.

65fordguy86 likes this.
  24. 65fordguy86

65fordguy86

Im going to. Lucky doesnt take long take off an put back together. Few hours

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you have an extra aluminum intake for sale, Im looking for one.

26. oldolds

oldolds

if the heads were machined on an FE motor then you need to machine the intake manifold to match. They are not as forgiving on that as some engines.

27. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

...and use a straight edge to make sure your new intake is flat.
    No cork gaskets on the ends, use a bead of silicone instead.
    GM has a great sealant designed to correct a engineering flaw that led to manifold leaks on the pre LS V8s. I don't say great and GM in the same sentence very often, :) but that stuff really works.