Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hidden rumbleseat latch 1932

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldbanger71, Sep 21, 2017.

1. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hi guys, i'm looking for detail pic's of 1932 - 3 window rumbleseat latch system or how you converted the rumbleseat latch handle to hidden style latch on a 1932 roadster. Mechanical operated latch only.
    I'm about to convert the normal trunk on my traditional 1932 roadster, to rubleseat configuration but do not want to fit a rumblseat latch handle. any ideas and sources for latchsystem is very much aprisiated.
    sorry for my english..... Greetings from sunny Switzerland, oldbanger71

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Install a "YOGI" electric lift unit, works great on 3wnd---5wnd---Roadster.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says on '33-'34's they called them remote deck latches... think they had them for trunk and rumble... spadaro's and bob drake may have pix [diagrams] in their catalogs... good luck.

4. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

@ Deuce Daddy Don,
    Thanks for your answer. The electric stuff is not the way i want to go, thanks anyway.

@ Sloppy jalopies, thanks for your input and sources.
    I need pic's , which show's , how it's installed, to make sure it is the latch system i need.

@all
    So i ask all those guy's who have remote latch on their rumbleseat if they would provide some pic's either in this thread or e-mail to me, please.
    All help is gratley aprisiated, regards oldbanger 71

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somebody whose '32 library is handy check the '32 Service bulletins; I believe they cover installing a rumble in a 3 window.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    mike in tucson likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No kit needed just a little creativity.
    Not necessarily traditional but it works, this is on my Wescott roadster, not sure whether theirs are copied from the original or not. I know they carry a lot of hardware.

20170921_140651.jpg

Again not terribly traditional.
    Hood release from 2000 Silverado pickup, perfect length for trunk latch, plenty long for rumble seat configuration, easily hidden.

20170921_140839.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. InstantT likes this.
  9. Hendee

Hendee

Wish I had pics handy. I built one into an older glass roadster. Used the rear deck lid latch mechanism from a late 80,s Ford Probe. Worked well as the spring release pops the lid up about 3/4" so you can get your fingers into it. Latch goes under the drain gutter with a small slot cut for the u-shaped hook that goes on lid. Same config as the original Probe install and all-Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

@ All manny thanks for your ideas and hints.
    @ DDDenny and tb33anda3rd, your pictures where very helpful thanks alot.

I'll do more thinking and mockup for my latch, but have now a direction to go.
    Happy motoring, Oldbanger71

11. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

After some thinking i came to this solution : I used a original Ford 1932 - 39, 3 window rubmleseat latch and bracket, which fits directley. I modified it a little to accept a chokepull to release the lock pic 1 + 2. Pic 3 shows the location, holder and pull handle in the side panel above the seat. Unfortunatley the Chockepull cable came lose and the pipe wasn't properly fixt to the pullhousing, so it moved in and out, this way , i couldn't unlock the lid. In the beginning i had a rope fixed to the lock, just in case... but when i fixed the issiue, all was working like a gem. More pic's while working on the hinge bracket, lid-catch and seatbase-box. Last pic shows finished rumbleseat with old boatseat fitted instead of bulky original seat. I just reupholstered the seats and produced a handy tonneaucover since i have no top, despite living in Switzerland. I made more modification to the floor under the frontseat for relocating batterie and storage and moving handbrake towards frontseat, as i could hadly reach the handle.

Attached Files:

12. clem

clem

Thanks,
    for updating your thread, and showing us what you did.
    Gives me another idea.
    For now I just used a spring loaded pin, but will update it in the future.
    I like the way you have done the upholstery (back rest). - more ideas.

13. Great ingenuity and thanks again for sharing your work so others can do the same.

14. elba

elba

Long time ago my friend had a 32 , 3 window and he put the handle in the right rear wheel well.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Slightly off-topic, BUT:
    My '56 Ford convertible was shaved, front and rear. The rear license plate hinged down, for the gas cap. Next to the gas cap was a 'choke cable' knob...a long cable and housing, but a CHEAP one!
    It was mechanical, and the hinges opened the lid about 3"...I just lifted the lid, open Sesame!
    BUT! The cable was akin to dragging thru the outer winding, and one day I was trying to open the lid when the skinny wire slipped in its 'barrel clamp'...Crawled thru the back seat to open it, Grrrrr!
    Found a miracle in a boat store...they had cables, 4 feet to 24 feet length! AND, they were large diameter, smoooth...
    WAY Better than the cheap 'choke cables', these were larger diameter wire: .063" wire, inside a deluxe sleeve, completely flexible.
    I replaced the junk choke cable with the Maritime offering. Never another problem! The boat cable had a polished stainless 'T' handle, too.
    This is what I'd use...Never look back.