Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I won't ask what the girls made in arts and crafts at Camp Climax!!

2. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

What Arm ! 21751625_1673964239310086_6503408381552010245_n.jpg

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-17_5-22-49.png
    Hopalong Cassidy, a class act...
    Hello,

In the 1950’s Long Beach seemed to be the hotspot for all things Hopalong Cassidy. Well, it seemed to us at the time. He was so popular from his TV shows and his all black outfit that it was a little crazy. Two, chrome 6 guns in black holsters, black boots, black shirt, crazy, black hat all contrasting with his white horse, Topper.

upload_2017-9-17_5-26-17.png upload_2017-9-17_5-26-55.png
    upload_2017-9-17_5-27-17.png
    Several of the above cards showed up on our birthdays, much to our happiness. Also, our friends that worked in the nearby Terminal Island, Chicken of the Sea Tuna Factory showed us the “Hoppy” Tuna Cans…Normally, we ate a lot of fresh tuna, but then, tuna sandwiches at the elementary school became really big, needless to say.
    upload_2017-9-17_5-28-49.png
    All of this marketing, plus his ever popular TV show was a genius move in the 50’s. We were hooked.

Jnaki
    upload_2017-9-17_5-31-48.png
    Somebody we know in their Hopalong Cassidy outfit.

The rest of the old photographs got misplaced in my wife’s yearly clean out process over the years. Now, they are all digitized, but the complete outfit including the one with the "double six gun" photo is missing.

At the time, the whole Hopalong Cassidy outfit was one set. The sad thing was, I had to give it to my little cousins because I outgrew it. This was in 1951, after 6 months of being the “black outfit” TV hero. I could not wear the complete outfit anymore, not even those tall black boots.

upload_2017-9-17_5-33-15.png The "combo cowboy" with his sidekick, Duke.
    So, I became my own western hero with his sidekick, Duke. But this outfit was a combination of many different hats, shirts, chrome 6 guns and cowboy boots. A real So Cal western fanatic built from different cowboy influences. It was probably those cowboy TV shows that influenced me to change outfits to match the hero of the day. I was probably Gene Autry, "The Singing Cowboy," at one time. Ha!

4. catdad49

catdad49

JNAKI, you are Now My Hero! Hoppy was probably my most favorite cowboy. I didn't have his outfit or any part of it (Fanner 50 for me), but he was still my Saturday morning hero. If I get a chance to see him again, I once more become that little cowboy of my youth. Thanks for the memory, Carp

Bowtie Coupe and jnaki like this.
  5. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

6. JD Miller

JD Miller

That helps when scrubbing floors

7. verde742

verde742

I would like to see More of this girl.......:rolleyes:

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Women's arms are like that. Ask your wife or girlfriend to stick her arm straight. I never learned why.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

Rob

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Swan Island Airport Terminal, Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

13. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born in Hollywood and attended Laurel Elementary School. Bill Boyd lived in Laurel Canyon in the Hollywood Hills at the time. The TV show didn't start until 1951 or '52, but he was already known from his "B" western movies (which he eventually owned the rights too, many for trading for the rights instead of receiving a salary).

For whatever reason, he was a member of the local school PTA and occasionally brought his horse in a trailer to school for all the kids to pet. A real life hero, and some of us kids would visit with him in the Canyon. Bill Boyd appeared in other movies, too, non-westerns. Tommy Ivo was cast in one of the western episodes shown on TV...

14. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Looks like Don Brown at Terre Haute; I'm guessing around 1967-68. However, somehow the car doesn't look like one of his "Mechanical Rabbits". The car in the photo has a somewhat more traditional roadster look. Maybe he changed things around later?

Do you have any more details on this photo, Rootie? And thank you for posting!

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah it's Don Brown getting a little behind on his steering at Terre Haute probably 68. I think the reason it looks different is that his roll cage is different than the other two and Weld's car was photographed a lot more. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. Here's a color Consoli shot with the same paint scheme. BTW, Brown was fond of giving his cars nicknames whereas Weld and Saldana didn't much care about that kind of stuff so in the beginning his car was the only one with that name and it was only through the press/history writers that all 3 became branded as "Mechanical Rabbits."

9-17-6.JPG

16. JD Miller

JD Miller

Is that Manny, Moe, Jack, Dave and Ralph ?

chryslerfan55 and JOYFLEA like this.
  17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

We've been through this on the vintage sprint car thread, but does anyone know where the third "rabbit" went? Joe's car is either in Speedy Bill's museum or at Knoxville. Todd Gibson bought Don's car and tried to convert it for pavement, which didn't work, and crashed it to the point of being totaled and scrapped the remains. The last time I saw Greg's car was at Anderson, Indiana for pre-little 500 practice about 1970 or 71. Lee Brayton had the car and managed to drive it out of the ballpark at maybe 40 mph. The car had cosmetic damage , but didn't appear to be badly hurt otherwise, but it disappeared after that and I don't know what happened to it.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong but I did some research a while back and came up with the following:
    As you said the Saldana car is alive and well in Neb/Iowa.

I believe the car that Brayton raced was Welds car and was totaled in a crash at Reading but I have also read that the remains were taken to the Brayton shop and may very well still be there today ???????

The best I came up with on the Brown car is this that comes from the Michigan Motor Sports Hall of fame. Though the picture is very small it certainly looks as if it could be the Mechanical Rabbit. Now this is in your neighborhood so you may have better insight. What happened to it after the crash at Anderson in the 80s a mystery to me. ?????

9-17-mr-1.JPG 9-17-mr-2.JPG

19. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Home of many many smash hit records. Sonny and Cher, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, The Monkees, Phil Spector, Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Ike and Tina Turner, Dr John, Glenn Campbell and so many more walked trough that door to create timeless recordings. Most of the great recording studios were in very modest looking buildings.

20. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Al Silver, out of Ohio (Akron?)

Speedwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

hendelec, Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.