Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical $200 for a Model a frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66corvair, Jun 9, 2016.

1. 66corvair

66corvair

Is that an okay deal? I found a guy locally. It's been sanded and primed and is in good shape. He's a really nice guy who gave me some other parts when I stopped by to see it including a gas tank and front end leaf parts.

So is 200 too high? It is in good shape and I think I'm going to go for it because I can't find any others I just thought I would post here.

2. No,200 bucks is not a OK deal...It's a fantastic deal.

Go get it now before he realizes he priced it too cheap! HRP

luckythirteenagogo and verde742 like this.
  3. It is hard to tell without seeing it or at least a picture but it sounds to me like a very fair price, probably low if anything. You should include your general location in your profile, if you live in Bangladesh that might affect the price.

Charlie Stephens

LBCD, timwhit and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. Well I would give 200 for an A frame and I don't even need one. ;)

5. 66corvair

66corvair

okay perfect. He's such a nice guy and gave me a bunch of parts that are probably the cost of the frame already so I was already comfortable paying over the value for a frame from him. I'm going to swing by after work today and grab it. I'm in the midwest for a location.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Grab it!!

Wes Callaway likes this.
  7. OFT

OFT

Is it at your place yet?

8. 66corvair

66corvair

I'm heading there after work. I'm going to have to leave it there for awhile but that's no problem. I'll snap a pic for you guys though.

9. oj

oj

If he's hand sanded and primed - recently, maybe - then I'd suggest you give him a little more, maybe another $50ish. You'll still be gettng a very good deal and the guy might get the feeling he screwed himself at $200, then he'll close the door to you.
    Read the thread about the guy that bought a hemi recently.
    A buddy recently sold a pristine Model A frame w/original suspension for $1500ish and he said he got bunches of offers.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. 66corvair

66corvair

I am trying to offer helping him out. He's doing a full restore of a '31 pickup right now. I'd learn a lot and I'm sure he'd love the help. We had a long talk and he said he's basically done building them and wants to see them go to the next generation. Kind of a "Pass it along" kind of guy. Super nice.

11. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...There's your big chance, go for it !

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Maybe you should find a different hobby, like needle point:rolleyes:

Texas Webb likes this.
  13. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

Yep, like has been said already-great deal. I like what oj said about offering a little more for it to compensate for the extra parts and the knowledge he's sharing with you. If nothing else, schedule some time with him to help with his pickup project. He will probably appreciate the company and you will probably learn a thing or two.

Texas Webb likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

$200 is going price around Wisconsin for a decent one. For a clean one that's already blasted and primed, that's a great deal.

15. The Midwest is a large area,no?

16. oj

oj

there you go, a lending hand & favors are much better than money, his knowledge is priceless and I'd bet he'd like an interested young guy to pass it along to. Go sit at your masters' knee, you'll help keep him alive after he's gone.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Too late, I got off work before you and snuck over and got it. :D

Don

18. I would buy 10 at that price if they were as you described.

19. b-bob

b-bob

I just built a new chassis for my A last winter, and was very lucky to find a good frame and buy it for $200. Getting hard to even find a good straight frame anymore.

20. What Beener said

21. verde742

verde742

if its got a title, pay him triple $$$$$$$$$$$

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"- take the frame for what he asked, check that he's sure he doesn't want more for the spares , and do as he wishes. Buy him something unrelated if you feel the need- a gift certificate to go out to eat, or something like that.
    Quick story---
    When I was in high school, I drove a station wagon for a small store and delivered groceries. I made a delivery one Saturday to big house on the shore and got there just as the owners arrived from the airport. The guy was a German industrialist, and had a Mercedes Limo, French maids ( honest to God), and the whole enchilada.
    I helped the chauffer carry some bags in, and Mr. Bolton ( the Boss) handed me 10 bucks. I said no thank you, happy to help. He looked at me and said "Son, when someone offers you something it's because they want you to have it. Thank you for your help" I took the ten and thanked him ( and went inside with the groceries, and to flirt with Annie, one of the maids!) ( I was 16, she was in her late 20's and cute as a button. And that accent- OO-La-La!!)

This man probably likes to help someone new to the old car business, and enjoys your company. Learn as much as you can from him, and offer to help him however you can. It's a great opportunity.

This is the guy I bought my roadster from ( in a million pieces) 82 and a hot shit! ( he wanted to know where the fenders were)

Attached Files:

clunker and pat59 like this.
  23. If it's a good straight, level frame, no cracks, with a readable serial number, and a front crossmember that is free of cracks, that's a very good price. I agree with Pork 'n Beaner, I'd buy it at that price even though I don't need one.

24. 66corvair

66corvair

Well i got it last night. He had another one and said I could have either one. I won't be around to pick it up for awhile but he had no problem. That trailer behind the frame is filled to the top with old fenders!

[​IMG]

pat59 likes this.
  25. Take good care of him! He just made you a sweet deal. Good luck on your build.

26. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I bought a boxed frame, light rust, amazing welds and square for 300 bucks, (I'm not bragging) but you guys made me realize how much I didn't appreciate the deal until now. I just texted the guy and thanked him again and sent pictures of my progress. He seemed pretty excited to see the pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JimSibley and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Down here, they are advertised for $650 kiwi. That's without being cleaned up. That's also the highest price I've seen, used to get em for around two hundred kiwi.

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Used to buy them at farm sales here in Nebraska for 10/20 bucks with suspension and cut off the front and rear cross members and give the rest to the iron man. Bought dozens.

RICH B likes this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local Gent has a stack of about 4 of them a few years ago that were straight but rusty and take your pick for 100 bucks each. I'd say that 200 for that one is a bargain.

30. Fordors

Fordors

Well played Painful, no doubt you made his day.