Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Safety Through Seat Belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We seen this in driver's ed on 1971.

2. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I for one feel a lot better having installed 3point retractable seat belts in my 41 Ford PU. Would love to install them in my 54 Chevy 2dr ht but can't think of a way to do it that doesn't look like he'll.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. verde742

verde742

check out new (er) model Volkswagon Convertible.

4. jroberts

jroberts

In North Carolina is not only mandatory to wear a seat belt if the vehicle came with them, but if you install them in an older car you must use them. I have 3 point belts in the front and back seats of my Studebaker sedan. The Champ pickup has lap belts, but my son has recently installed 3 point belts in his Studebaker truck and so I may try to use the set up he has in his truck. I wouldn't dare not have the belts in a car my granddaughters ride in. Of course I always use them myself anyway.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attended many an accident in my early years and saw what was happening both with and without seat belts, and when fitted they were not worn; not a pretty sight. I could recant many a story where lives were lost. There's nothing worse than breaking the news to family that someone won't be coming home to them or having them identify a loved one.
    It's mandatory to install them in modified cars down here; retractable lap sashs in closed cars and laps in open cars. If a car came with them they remain and must be used. It's a no brainer IMHO. The life you save could be your own, someone in your family or anyone else for that matter..

2manycars2littletime likes this.
  6. Garpo

Garpo

Belts became mandatory here (NZ) in all new cars back in the mid sixties. Must be worn. Required fitment in modified older vehicles. Again must be worn.
    After 50 odd years you would think the message would have been received, but the medics are still picking up plenty of dead ones that did not think the law applied to them.
    I think it's called the Darwin effect.
    Garpo

7. birdman1

birdman1

a '53 ford with seatbelts, not stock. i see they installed the inside door handle backwards like I did on my '53 ford. anything to be different huh?

8. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

My understanding is that seat belts should NOT be mounted to the frame, but only the body. The reason, I'm told and have read elsewhere on the HAMB, is that the body is likely to separate from the frame in a collision leaving you pinched pretty hard in the process. According to others, the install is best through the body and as typo41 said above, use a large plate to spread the forces from the mounting bolt.

9. I have 3-point retractable belts in my '59 Ford and love them. I've had to make a couple of short stops and they held me in place. I took my time with the installation.

10. verde742

verde742

Hey, REALLY ! Thanks for the pointers.. !!!:rolleyes:

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There’s something about those old style OEM airbags from way before aftermarket ones were available…..I just can’t quite put my finger on it.

12. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

You know, the "safety belt" was a metaphor in this song.

Gen. George Patton survived two world wars, only to die in a stupid accident that barely bent the grille of his Cadillac limousine. He slid off his seat and collided with the divider, breaking his neck. It doesn't take much, especially in an old car.

13. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Seat belts help . but what will really help are shoulder harnesses. Keeps from smacking the dash or steering wheel