Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Muroc Dry Lake In Color

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Wrong-Un, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Jimmy this video is extra special in that it may have been in that footage then. Great stuff it is. Thanks for that info.

2. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

If you click the link above the film, that will take you to the VHRA website which has a bit of background on the footage. A lot of it has been covered by the replies on here as well. I'm hoping to make contact with the guy that posted it on YouTube, to see if he has any more of this kind of stuff to share with the world.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Speed Gems and Stogy like this.
  3. Killer find. Thanks for posting it for those of us to lazy to search the various places these things pop up at. I watched this on lunch break a few hundred yards off Muroc lake bed. Had several guys looking over my shoulder asking where that was shot. I just pointed. I don't think anyone got it until I said "right here on the lake bed". Very few of them even knew about racing here at all. Would be neat to see it as shown with this link, side by side with a remaster/restored version.

The Wrong-Un likes this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope those are real cracks and not "fake patina". Hate fake patina.

Fantastic film, thanks Wrong-Un!

Stogy likes this.
  5. YouTuber "springbrain74" also posted a video entitled "Glens home movies 1" ... which suggests there may be a "Glens home movies 2" ... lets hope so ... and that there's more dry lakes footage! :)

NOTE: The "Muroc races 1930's..... 1937?" video is actually an excerpt from the "Glens home movies 1" video ... it starts at the 9 minute 30 second mark:

6. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

That film is real cool. I noticed that the cars did not stir up as much dust as the ones that run at el mirage.

7. That is why Muroc, Rosamond and Harpers were used early on, better, harder surface, much large area to hold meets. Essentially why the military took possession and why it still operates as Edwards AFB.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  8. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Man that was fun to watch! Thanks.

9. Ted Stahl

Ted Stahl

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was WAY beyond cool! Sure glad people keep digging up this stuff and sharing it with the world.
    It's our history. Thanks for posting that link.

11. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

That is really cool! I like the footage toward the end, when they take a flight and taxi by 2 early model B-17's with the early tail, and a B-25

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"I noticed that the cars did not stir up as much dust as the ones that run at el mirage."

Some of that may be that nowadays there's sometimes a lot more HP and speed that create more wheel spin.

Stogy likes this.
  13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for sharing.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Also, in the 50's the County of San Bernardino diverted the flash flood water that came out of the mountains near El Mirage to stop the flooding of the homes above the lake bed. What this did was remove additional clay that filtered down from the mountains, so now all there is on the lake bed is the silt/talc surface which breaks up early.
    And the 200 mph line really chews up the bed with their horsepower.

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

All I have to say is INCREDIBLE!!!!
    Thx Glenn for sharing your piece of time at MUROC with all of the past,present and future Gow Job Pilots in the world!!!!!