Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Forgotten Master Craftsmen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClayMart, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hands. Tools. Gauges. Fire. Molten metal. Castings. Forgings. Presses. Welders.

All the great stuff that's needed to make the parts to make the cars.

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made me glad that I didn't have to work in a factory, those guys earned every dollar, many operations appeared that speed was important but safety, maybe not so much?

loudbang likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was cool.
    This retired machinist thanks you.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

5. cretin

cretin

That was really cool. Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting to see how some things were done, there are some missing processes that I would like to see though.
    I was sweating just watching those guys casting and forging!

6. catdad49

catdad49

Worked a little over 25 yrs. in a cast iron foundry and did every job in the place except the molding. We had machinists, welders and other support personnel. Most didn't even want to venture into the foundry, but in the end, the foundry survives to this day. Thanks for the memories.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

And all done without a computer or CNC milling machine or lathe, true craftsmen!

8. Back when we actually made the shit we buy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ghornbostel likes this.
  9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

ClayMart, can't thank you enough for sending this gem to us. The footage of the crankshaft forging was spectacular. I was pretty certain I knew which car was going to finally come out at the end of the video when first I saw the wheels being made and then it was confirmed when the turret top popped out of the press. Wow, the best 1/2 hour I have spent in a long time. Thanks again.

10. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

I love watching videos like this. Back when men were MEN, and actually cared about their trade & took pride.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  11. Wow, that brought back memories of lighting the boilers off on the USS Denver (LPD-9). Never felt very safe during that procedure. You would think the Navy would have figured out the pilot light concept by now, but no, we were still dipping a rag on the end of a !ong rod in fuel oil, lighting it, and sticking it in a hole in the side of the boiler to light them off! Just like the guys in the video This was in 2005, so not that long ago.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Vert nice video.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.have fun.
    Be safe.
    Leo

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Reminds me of the couple years I spent doing maintenance in an old grinding wheel factory. Changing hydraulic seals in old 1000 ton Erie presses is not fun, but maintaining some of the other ancient automated stuff was.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were still lighting off boilers (215 meg generators) with a roadway flare in 2003. Finally repaired all the igniters by 05. Lite a lower burner first that hen list off the others from the first one.

15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for posting this!

16. raymay

raymay

Very cool and they picked a great car for the subject.
    When I worked for Kodak we had a similar huge metal press that was converted over for use in our film finishing area. You could feel the vibration throughout the darkroom while it was running and it certainly kept us awake when working the C-shift.
    Thanks for posting.

17. Pretty cool vid. No time to see it all today, but now its marked for me and I'll be back.

I never worked as a production machinist, only job shops. But I did work in a production shot cast foundry once, did one of everything before I became the tool and die man. You got to respect production workers in about any setting, they used to be the core of American industry.