Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I went a few years ago when the final day was in Bowling Green and it was awesome:)

loudbang and els like this.
  2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Brian,
    Thank you for the post regarding life being too short and your personal thoughts on the issue. My mother is 89, and currently dealing with serious heart issues and has expressed having enjoyed her life. Your post really hit home for me, I printed it out and read it throughout my work day.
    Thank you again and good luck at the drags!

drdave, loudbang, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Congrats Brian, wishing you well during drag week. I didn't know Lincoln was in racing? Oh oh.....Racine!!

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  4. els

els

I just spent a bout 4 hours going through this whole thread. It was a great ride. thank you for sharing it with us. and you did a great job on the car. VERY NICE.

5. els thanks for following along. there is more to come. thanks lippy it was good to meet you in person at mokan. jake stay strong. sorry to hear about your mother. I had a private talk with my dad before his passing and he told me he had no regrets about the way he lived his life and felt like he lived the American dream. he said when the time comes he is ready. I repeated the conversation to my family and it brought a lot of comfort to everyone knowing he got everything out of life he wanted. the funeral was a little less sad knowing that.

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Good luck to you, hope you're bad luck is behind you, you've sure had enough of that. When you have time, I'd like to know some info on your cooling system. I went back through the thread but I'd get to reading over other things and never really found out much. Sure is a cool car, not another like it.

els and loudbang like this.
  7. i don't call it bad luck. i just say thats the drag in drag racing. we have our ups and down and just work through them like everyone else. if it was easy everyone would be doing it. i needed a few extra jugs of nitro just to be safe for drag week. its nice to have three nitro freaks living in my little town of franksville wi. a phone call later and i had a drum. its only a mile down the road past the corn field to get it. that was easy.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Stogy, els, bobwop and 3 others like this.
  8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I plan on it.

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like we will inhale some nitro fumes tomorrow at GLD. Fuel altered, fuel Funnies and fuel dragsters.

loudbang, els and racer-x like this.
  10. jets; pro stocks; wheel standers; funny cars; benny the bomb and the kite cycle all this weekend at great lakes dragaway labor day spectacular. I will look for you Saturday. roger will be driving the nitro madness fuel altered against drastic plastic. jimmy young and his nitro front engine dragster will be up against Jason greenwoods dragster. it sounds like the weather will be perfect.

loudbang, els and bobwop like this.
  11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I will be running the Night Moves Nostalgia ProStock Camaro.

We are pitted on the right immediately as you come into the pits.

Please stop by anytime after 2pm on Saturday

kidcampbell71, loudbang and els like this.
  12. Greezeball

Greezeball

This can not be stressed enough. I had a stroke three years ago, a dissection of the interior carotid artery cause by a fall, at 43 years old. It nearly killed me. I'm back again after a long recovery with few lasting effects and should be running at Bonneville next year, a life long dream that I'm fortunate enough to get a second chance at.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. The oil cooler is on. The trailer is ready. The car needs a few minor things taken care of. I off work for the rest of the week to take care of some loose ends. We will head out to cordova for the start of drag week saturday. The weather so far looks like a cool week. Mostly 70s. I hope the hurricane in florida doesnt cause problems. A storm with that much energy can impact the midwest. 20170904_115223.jpg 20170904_115240.jpg

Greezeball, Woogeroo, els and 7 others like this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Kick some butt. And have fun :)

racer-x, els, milwscruffy and 2 others like this.
  16. nexxussian

nexxussian

Good luck.

racer-x, els and loudbang like this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That just answered one of my questions... air filter on the street?
    Also this seems like the third or fourth time I've seen one of you turn signals turned, do they come loose from turbulence do to wind shear or something?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, milwscruffy and loudbang like this.
  18. The filter is available from hilborn. I dont think its in the catalog. Its a very cool piece the way it is made. The turn signals get bumped alot when im working up front. They do stay tight and they are put back in the proper place before i drive.

I took the car out for some testing. The oil pump is putting out enough volume to build pressure when the engine is hot. The headlights are now aimed correctly. The trailer has the tarp all ready to go if we neec it. Tomorrow the car gets loaded and i will be ready. Mark and i are feeling good about this year.

drdave, els, bobwop and 6 others like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell yeah! Moonshine night here you come!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Good luck and be safe, will be keeping tabs (on line).

21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Along with how serious you and that hot rod are, have fun and blessings sent your way...

els, milwscruffy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Im still telling guys about the shine. That was fun.

23. Thanks john boy its all about the fun. Regardless of what ever happens we will come back with stories we will be telling for years to come. We feel very fortunate to be able to participate. There is a long list of guys that made this possible. I look at it as a team effort. I just want to make it through the week still running.
    We are already planning for next year. The plan is to put a donovan aluminum block in the car. We are still gathering info but the plan is to weld aluminum sleeves into the block. Then press in iron sleeves. Thats how we can run a donovan block with water on the street. We are really looking to push the limits of a early hemi. Right now the block is the weak link. It is limiting me on the percentage of nitro i can run. If we go through with it i might have to call my polisher. I dont think anyone has ever brought him a block to polish.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    els, mad mikey, bobwop and 6 others like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah come on 5.90s!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Racerx.If you go with the Donovan block,then the REAL fun begins.And so,the adventure continues.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. The 60 year old iron blocks can only handle 70 percent before the main webs break. Im already showing signs of stress at 50 percent. It will be a major project to pull it off. Im still getting details. Only a few guys have been able to make a donovan work on the street. Besides the strength i like the idea of saving 50lbs..

els, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

What about the new aftermarket cast iron blocks......I understand there are two sources (one of them BBM).......I can't think of the other right now, but its supposed to be stout....

28. Thats a good question. The iron blocks are 4 grand. When a rod is kicked out they are junk. A aluminum block can be repaired to race another day.

els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. ChefMike

ChefMike

Amen to that !

30. The war wagon is ready to go into the big trailer. Its crazy how much will fit on this when its organized. Still bare bones compared to most anyone running nitro let alone for a week. 20170908_114525.jpg 20170908_114546.jpg

drdave, els, bobwop and 7 others like this.