Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chevy part identification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris-Bartlett, Sep 6, 2017.

1. I'm trying to identify this part to replace it since mine broke. I don't know if it's called a "perch," but that doesn't help me find the part in searches.

It's the part that is attached to the axle with a bushing and is supposed to rest flat on the leaf springs (or in my case the lowering block). As you can see here, mine is broken.

IMG_3941.jpg IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

it's called a "spring seat"

same one was used on cars for many years, and trucks also starting in 1948. should be easy to find a replacement, but it will probably be a used part, not new.

[​IMG]

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We call them spring pivots. And, I happen to have TWO of them we took off the 51 Bus Coupe. You can have them both for shipping costs. Just send a PM. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. squirrel

squirrel

heh...that's the "easy" way to find them!

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Why not de-arch the springs, or at least buy the right u-bolts for those blocks.

6. Yeah, the uneven stress from those U bolts may have caused the failure. Get some flatter U bolts that contact the spring seat fully

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You absolutely need the correct square U bolts on that rig.

8. squirrel

squirrel

while you're at it, make sure the blocks are not wider than the springs. It appears they are.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In looking further at your photos, it's easy to see why this happened. You should be using "squared" end U-bolts instead of the "rounded" style you have on there. It is stressing the metal, and causing it to crack/break. If the U-bolts are long enough, you could possibly weld in a "bridge" to make the ends square, but it would be best to obtain the correct style U-bolts. Offer still stands. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
    DANG!!! I TYPED THIS EARLIER, AND NEVER ENTERED IT.^^^^^ALREADY ANSWERED^^^^^.

10. Thanks for the offer, Butch. Also, correct flat U-bolts ordered.

11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad a few beat me to it.. Get the right U bolts, and the right width blocks, 1.75" wide If I remember from when my car still had leafs. I might even have my old ones, I'll take a look.

Slow down likes this.
  12. I have seen those break even when no lowering blocks were used. There are a couple of different types, one is all centalised (like yours), the other has an offset pin and a long & short "ear" where the U bolts seat.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

They sell the correct width blocks and u bolts for your 51 pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app