Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 39-40 ford gasser pics thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Mar 30, 2013.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

I agree to an extent but I feel that many 40s out there share this look. mine is pretty much being pieced together and I was kinda inspired by these two cars (pics below) and Its not a complete ruination of a car that could not be changed back later like saying before when they used to put nova subframes under them building street rods in the 80s. Jerry Morelands 40 2 door I feel deserved honorable mention because I feel he kinda broke the typical street rod mold back in the 80s when he built it. and IMO if these two in the below pics are not hot rods then I don't know what is. Just my opinion though;)

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  2. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

39-40's looks cool either way.....

exterminator likes this.
  3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

x2 !!!!!!

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I say go for it !!! I am going the same direction with mine. 60`s drag car

5. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

6. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Niterunner71, have you gotten any further with your build?

7. There are some great looking cars. HRP

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Couldn't agree more---then, I'm biased.

9. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

A couple i've pinched..

Attached Files:

EVL401, PONTNAK123 and exterminator like this.
  10. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I'm starting to dig the gasser 40 Tudors. :)

11. My car club has owned our '40 Ford gasser since 1960 and its gone through several changes over the years.

The first version had a 6 carb 392" Chrysler and Packard trans and ran b/gas.

The second picture with us running K.S. Pitman is the first time out with the blown Chrysler & Clutchflite. BB/Gas.

As the supercharged classes progressed and it got too expensive to be competetive we parked the car until nostalgia racing became popular in the 80's. We replaced the blown Chrysler with a milder BB Chev and 400 trans and now use the car at nostalgia meets and bracket races.

The third photo is the way the car looks today (red with flames) and is parked in front of our clubhouse.

Mick

Attached Files:

12. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Mick, very nice! Cool history on the car, and thanks for the pics!

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 19-20 2014

Attached Files:

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 19-20 2014

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The club, the car, the clubhouse. Great setup !

16. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

lets see some more!

17. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Hey guys, I know this is a long shot but thought if anybody could do it it would be here on the HAMB. My buddy just got a 40 Ford DeLuxe coupe that had been a gasser in the 60's around Dayton, ohio. The PO ungasserized it in the 70's to a streetrod. He said it had a 265 sbc in it and was set way back, had to drive from back with a super long steering colum. He said the drivers head was even with the quarter windows. It had a 4 speed with some kind of Ford pickup rear end with big ladder bars. Like a dumbass he has lost all the pictures he had of it in gasser form. Can anyone help me out here?

18. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I agree, the last look I would think I would like on a '40 is a gasser. However, not all gassers were straight axle, nose-in-the-sky cars. There were some that had a rake and looked more like a nasty hot rod than a "gasser". These I actually REALLY like. I picked up a '40 tudor recently that was a confused hybrid street rod / pro street and I could really see some gasser potential, and it was a far better look than the current pro-street look. I'm liking it so far. Still need to figure out some lettering/graphics for the car, but so far I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    PONTNAK123 and exterminator like this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

All cool cars here. These aren't all strictly 'gassers', but are in the spirit of it. I've not seen many pics of gasser 40's, maybe they were a little too big and heavy when compared to the popular Willys

Attached Files:

EVL401 and exterminator like this.
  20. 1bad39

1bad39

Hey guys I'm new here I just picked up a 39 ford coupe .. I'm thinking about building it as a gasser.. here's the car tell me what you think...

Attached Files:

EVL401 and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  21. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine. Will try to post a better picture later. The writer was a really nice guy, but got a few things wrong. PXL_20210128_215550111.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    EVL401, PONTNAK123, bowie and 2 others like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-26_4-27-59.png 1959
    Hello,

Back in the early days of drag racing, most of the cars in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes were modified street cars that anyone could run. From taking off the hubcaps to opening some exhaust cut outs to putting on some slicks, it was wide open as to what the daily driver could do at the dragstrips. It was a good time fun for most guys/girls to see what the hot rod that showed up at the local drive-in could actually do in the quarter mile races.

When I was wandering all over the large Riverside Raceway in 1959, I was a spectator, but had a 16mm color movie camera to keep me occupied. My brother met some friends and it was my job to go around and take movies of the action, however I saw fit. It was my dad’s camera, but it was me wandering all over both sides of the dragstrip, near the starting line, on the tall cliffs half way down the dragstrip and in the pits for some pre-race shots.

It was a great time to be a teenager. I could take the movies and the week following the race, we could actually see the finished developed color film of where we saw the drag races. It was fun showing them on a large pulldown screen in our own living room with friends hooting and yelling out the names... Chrisman, Garlits, Ivo, Karamensines, Speed Sport Roadster, Scotty’s Muffler T Roadster, Cyr & Hopper and a myriad of race cars in all of the classes, were the main draw on this day.

It was interesting watching the early coupes and sedans to see what they deemed a Gas Coupe or Sedan for the separate classes. If anyone could identify this 40 Ford Coupe, please send the information to me asap via a Conversation tab. It is part of a select file for public records use in a few months, on the early drag racing scene in So Cal. You will get credit if the information is valid with documentation.

Jnaki

This modified 40 Ford Coupe was in the throes of having larger slicks on the back, and some body modifications to make his Gas Coupe run better. It looked like he just pulled off of the street, opened some exhaust pipes and came to the starting line for a high speed run. Ahhh the good old days… A Gas Coupe, not a silly “gasser” designation

1959 Riverside Raceway 40 Ford Gas Coupe/Sedan Class

i.rant likes this.