Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So you think your car is rusty.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsdawg, Sep 3, 2017.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

From time to time there are posts here from folks in the rust free areas who say they won't buy a car because it's too rusty.We rust belters look at the pics and drool over what would be considered rust free around here.
    Took some pics of a '57 Chevy parts car I am picking up. I did not take pics of the rear portion of the frame collapsing on jack stands.

Attached Files:

2. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Wow....still a lot of great parts there..

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going to be first this time. :D
    Build it, all that should just buff out :D

chryslerfan55 and partsdawg like this.
  4. For a parts car that's not too bad,I've seen rougher cars here in South Carolina. HRP

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, a lot of great parts there. We've seen worse.
    If it was a 2 dr. with clean title and vin, you could probably sell it outright to someone as a base for a convertible conversion.
    283 turn over? Be a great core (for a restorer or Rodder) or might even run.

Jugornot and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Wow! I don't see any pedals. Was it an original power pack stick car? Nice score.

7. It kind of makes me sad to imagine what it looked like at the time it was "parked".
    All that extra rust just so the PO could occasionally brag about owning a '57.

I hope there's some treasure for somebody among the thorns.

Jugornot likes this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Black one came as a parts car for this one.
    Power pack car with Wonderbar and power brakes and a clean title

Attached Files:

9. Let me know if you want to sell the air cleaner. @partsdawg

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Black with a red interior? Or was it just a red dash? One of my all time favorite color combos...

302GMC likes this.
  11. NAES

NAES

In recent years I've seen the level of craftsmanship from the home (type) builder improve significantly. What was once a parts car is now resurrected from almost thin air at times. In some of the OT Vintage Volkswagen circles I run in there are a number of builds that literally start out as parts of frame rails and a body which has collapsed upon itself due to rust.

The bar has been raised quite high on salvaging these dead players.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Slopok

Slopok

At least he was able to buy it from him, how many times have we heard gonna fix it up some day? Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Jugornot likes this.
  13. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

IMG_20141224_120105_113.jpg Here's one of those " I'm gonna fix it some day " cars. Been there as long as I can remember. The old boy died about a month and a half ago. Drove by the other day. The car is gone and the building behind it is gone also. I just hope some motor head got the car..

Jugornot, clunker, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

55doors off.jpg

This picture shows the floor of the moredoor I am converting to a two door sedan gasser

15. Slopok

Slopok

Yours will be a lot lighter than theirs, so my moneys on you to win!;)

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are a lot tougher than am I!

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

55nineinch.jpg 55trunkfloor.jpg 55sparetirewell.jpg The trunk floor rotted out and the rot took the gas tank too. The only thing left was the gas gauge sending unit hanging down. And the spare tire well. It was in the way so I took it out and used an engine hoist to get the 9"in.

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Love the rusty iron and the guys who carry on despite of it.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

55wheels.jpg This picture shows that the 4drs are off, the2drs are on, the quarters are radiused and the front sheetmetal and engine have been replaced with the one piece fiberglass tilt front. Next, the straight axle, then I want to put the body on a rotisserie and replace the floors.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. When the metal is like lace, be careful trailering it home. One I got was so soft, the rear window stainless blew off at 50 mph. Folks are grabbing up the 4 doors quickly it seems.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got this one about 10 years ago. Paid $125. I'm happy that I've started on it

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You win, Thats rough, I like It.

23. Going to a good home, finally, and a gold mine of parts there.
    I like how they got the carpet to look exactly like grass! If you want to see project that start out as a wheelbarrow full of rust flakes, check out some restored cars builds from the U.K..- Those boys are brave!

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Let that guy with the 60 Chrysler have a try at it,since he can fix that 60 he should be able to fix that 57.

25. Yep....been up your way and over to the next states on business - stopped in a few yards - have a respect for what some call rust....like most said - good stuff still there !

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

You can buy a complete floor pan with all the bracing ready to weld in for around a grand. Everything bad there is available as replacement parts. If its got good numbers, its a build able car. 55-57 Chevy, 1st gen Camero, and 1st gen Mustang are the easiest cars to rebuild, every part is available.

The coupe I'm driving was worse then that car is. Gene

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

28. VTjunk

VTjunk

27c730a0-0bc1-43f7-b715-d7868d55d5d9.png

After cutting out all the rust this is what I had left of my 56 Pontiac. Even the frame X member was shot.
    We have a saying, up here you have to make a car before you can make it cool.

29. 1655742-8c53a8905dde0ebbfe3329472d4d30bc.jpg 1655743-d192002c47ae6c47de177566e1bfdb0d.jpg
    In a word, YES , I think it was rusty...and it actually looks more solid in photos.

30. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Here in Canada it's not rusty till the roof falls off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk