Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B Oil Pump Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JMKnight, Aug 30, 2017.

1. JMKnight

JMKnight

Me and my buddy race his 1927 Model T Speedster with a Model B motor with a Riley 2 Port OVC at the Salt Flats, TROG, Speedster Reunion and any other hill climb event we can find. Roy blew the motor up at the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association test and tune event in July.

Roy is putting a newly built model B motor with the Riley together for World of Speed in two weeks at Bonneville.

Our question is what are our oil pump options for our full race motor? Will the stock Model B pump work fine? Are there any modifications we should make to a stock pump? Is there an aftermarket pump that is track proven.

Thanks in advance. John Marc Knight, 28 Model A Roadster Salt Flats car with a 53 Merc 255 CID motor and a Columbia two speed rear end.

Attached Files:

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You are a prime prospect to become aquainted with the F.A.S.T. Club : They specialize in pre1935 4cyl(mostly Ford) engines, & there are a couple of them that have "Red-Hats" from Bonneville!! These guys WILL have the info that you're looking for!!

3. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

4. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

JMKnight, what transmission are y'all using on the B motor?

6. JMKnight

JMKnight

Model B trans with later side loader synchronized 2nd and 3rd gears.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 5280A2

5280A2

One good source of information is Wayne Atkinson; I see his Model T in the background of the shot of your friends car. Wayne has been doing this a long time and has built a lot of T, A and B powered cars. Another source is Jim Brierly's four banger book; good section on converting a V8 pump to work in an A or B. The V8 pump will provide more volume than a modified A or B pump. I met your friend in Lincoln this summer and believe he told me his goal was to go 100 mph; should be doable with that Riley head without excessive rpm's. I would think that a modified A or B pump would be up to the job if it is well prepared and has been opened up internally to increase flow. Again, this is covered in Brierly's book, probably the best resource available.

8. 1932tub

1932tub

After a lot of frustrating tries with old pumps I fitted one of these and the difference was day and night.
    Pumps a good 30 pounds cold or hot and can be adjusted to give higher pressure.
    Really worth the money, fit and forget.

9. JMKnight

JMKnight

Thanks. I called Riley Player and he said he would run the stock pump. I know Wayne and will call him now. Danged if I don't have Brierly's book in my library. Thanks for guiding me to the book.

10. JMKnight

JMKnight

Thanks, I am not a FAST member but Roy is. Riley Player told me an old FAST publication addresses the Model B oil pump. Roy has all the issues. I'll plow through them until I find the one I need.