Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods For Those Of Us In Texas...... Latest On Approaching Hurricane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enigma57, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay safe. My wife is from Texas (McGregor) and has been watching the reports pretty close.

2. Thoughts to all of you folks. I have been through a flood, even on our small scale it is not fun.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. enigma57

enigma57

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Suns out, but many are not out of the woods yet. Grocers Supply, where I work, is scheduled to start shipping goods to stores tonight, so they'll have them by morning. We'll start receiving the trucks we turned away, tomorrow. I'll be working the rest of the week with no time off.

5. bet on black

bet on black

Kiwijeff...you should see how this big city is pulling together. It's really amazing

Mickey Smith, TagMan and kiwijeff like this.
  6. I've been watching some really amazing stuff, more so than bad stuff. Great to see.

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

We personally are gathering supplies to send yalls way from North Texas as we speak.Hang in there, we're all praying for you guys and are willing to help any way possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Budget36

Budget36

I recall on the news, that the Mayor of Houston?...was requesting all donations be made through the Red Cross.

crminal likes this.
  9. Lil32

Lil32

Prayers to all involved
    Best Wishes to all

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Prayers from young wife and humble self...You Texans are braving a wraith!

Just hang in and help each other...God bless you, one and all.

11. enigma57

enigma57

JJ Watt's Flood Relief Fund will get 100% of donations to those who need it......

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

Red Cross, United Way and other such agencies will take donations earmarked for relief of flood victims from Hurricane Harvey and after their administrators and staff are paid, distribute how ever much they want not only in support of relief efforts related to this disaster...... But to other purposes as they see fit anywhere in the world. For them, its a slush fund. The great majority of such agencies work that way.

So if you want to make sure your donation actually reaches victims of this hurricane, make sure you send them to JJ Watt's Flood Relief Fund or to a similar such fund after you check them out and are satisfied 100% of your donation will be used to help those who need it.

Best regards,

Harry

Tman, crminal and Truck64 like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I quit giving to United Way and Red Cross because of the exorbitant administrative wages and costs. If and when I donate money I want all of it to to go to the people I donate to,

Made a donation be it small to the JJ Watts organization.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Tman and 49ratfink like this.
  13. enigma57

enigma57

Same here. Our other consideration was that those particular agencies divert monies they collect to organizations our family do not support such as 'Planned Parenthood'.

We don't have a lot, but we send a few bucks each year to the DAV, Salvation Army, St. Jude's, DePelchin Faith Home (a Catholic charity for unwed mothers and adoptions) here in Houston and the Jewish orphan's home in Metairie, Louisiana.

Best regards,

Harry

crminal and Truck64 like this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

He can request whatever he wants, that doesn't mean it's a necessarily a good idea. People want "safe", they want to virtue signal to their friends, it's easy - just text $10 over their smartphone. Done! "I did my good deed" and they can fuggedabout it. You know the type.

I don't trust anybody, and wonder about myself sometimes. Waaaaaaay too many crooks these days. The big brand names are part of the problem, they start out good and it degenerates into a racket.

Find out who is doing things in your local area. Lots of businesses are just sending trucks down filled with supplies. Clothing and non perishable food.

Nobody wants to steal gently used baby clothes, but a big pile of money - yeah, no. It's like the local "food drive" they have around here. Everyone is encouraged to donate canned goods.

Eventually, they say "Well... we can get a better deal on the food because we buy in bulk... why don't you just give us the money and we'll take care if it...?" Sounds reasonable don't it?

Fuck no! Like hell it does. Because anytime there's a big pile of money, sooner or later these nicklefuckers will come in and steal it. A wall of Bush's Baked Beans and Spaghettios won't do that.

RMONTY and 49ratfink like this.
  15. enigma57

enigma57

Choptop40, we ventured out late this afternoon. Water level in Cypress Creek has dropped 3-1/2 ft. since yesterday and this was the first day we could get across the Cypress Creek bridge near the intersection of Cypresswood and Stuebner Airline. Stuebner Airline was passable, but Cypresswood remains flooded on both sides of the intersection as far as you can see. So we were unable to go down Cypresswood in either direction.

We proceeded North on Stuebner Airline and turned West on Louetta Rd. Most of the gas stations, stores and eateries there are closed. Jimmy John's sandwich shop and Panera's were the only places open.

We pulled into Panera's and had some soup and fresh hot bread. Picked up a couple bagels for tomorrow. It was nice to have a hot meal. Last meal we had priour to that was a couple sticks of beef jerky, a couple nutri-bars and a bottle of chocolate milk fortified with 30 grams of protein. It was tasty, but that bowl of hot soup and fresh baked bread really was nice.

Hope you find your place on Cypresswood was not badly flooded when you can get over there.

Best regards,

Harry

Cypress Creek at Stuebner Airline bridge......

Cypress Creek1a.jpg

From Stuebner Airline looking East down Cypresswood......

Cypresswood East1a.jpg
    Cypresswood East2a.jpg

From Stuebner Airline looking West down Cypresswood......

Cypresswood West1a.jpg

Bridge over Dry Gully from Champions Forest looking North......

Dry Gully1a.jpg

rjones35 likes this.
  16. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks

Truck64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Best wishes to all affected by this unprecedented hurricane. Here is a little tip probably a little too late, but it might be of help to some. Every house has a continuously fresh supply of water in the hot water heater. If you think your water will be interrupted, turn off the supply side valve to your water heater to prevent possible contamination and tap the 30 to 80 gallons in the tank from the drain at the bottom of the tank.

tb33anda3rd, Petejoe and pat59 like this.
  18. 46stude

46stude

Utility trucks from all over the country are in my area working to get power back up. I honestly do not think many poles were spared some sort of damage. Water is back on sporadically, but the town's under a boil notice. Hard to boil water w/o elect or gas.

School district has announced it'll be shut down "indefinitely". Our youngest is a junior, and one of the band's drum majors. She's pretty disheartened.

Tarped part of my roof yesterday. House has held up pretty good, no structural damage. It actually moved about 2-1/2" on one end. I'll have to redo the foundation blocks, but I used to move houses w my father in law, so that's no prob for me, I set the foundation it's on now.

130+ mph winds suck. Hope it's a loooong time before anybody sees another major hurricane make a US landfall.

J. A. Miller and Truck64 like this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Mother Nature is a fickle bitch.Remember a few years ago in Fl where two hurricanes came ashore in about a week within 30 miles of each other?IIRC,between Vero Beach where I was born and raised. and Stuart Fl.Wishing you Texans the very best and God bless you all and keep you safe.
    Leo

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a spirit of America in Texas that reminds me of the old days, when people licked their wounds and came back fighting. Haven't heard a word of anyone sitting on their butts and crying about how the Government has to save them. Texans are fighting back ! God bless Texas...........

21. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

22. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I posted on the Ford Barn as to the fate of Howell's Sheet Metal as they are near to the Neche's river & a rather large lake or holding basin in Beaumont Texas, as previously mentioned way to much suffering for all concerned, lets hope for the best in a very dire situation.

23. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wow. My brother in Houston has made it and his house stayed dry!! But he still doesnt know how his car is which was at the paint shop. It was being painted and was so close to being finished!!!!
    My heart goes out to all in the area for what your going through. So many are losing everything. And i havent seen a hotrod in a boat being rescued yet. Not to be joking but its got to be hard to lose everything AND a loved car!!!!!!!!!!

24. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

We're getting hit pretty good here in the Louisville area today from the remnants of Harvey. Bowling Green is 100 miles south of here and they have about 7" so far. We've only have an inch since 7 AM but we're supposed to get 3-6" by the time it's passed through around noon tomorrow. Hopefully things are drying out in Houston....

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sad to report, I found out today that 3 employees lost everything. Luckily, the company and some employees are stepping up to help.

26. Not to change the subject, but my dad was at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Louisville when it flash flooded in the early 90's. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ve-the-n-s-r-a-louisville-flood-of-92.879884/

27. enigma57

enigma57

You are most welcome, Sir!

Best regards,

Harry

28. enigma57

enigma57

Quite right! My Mom used to say, 'G-d helps those who help themselves'. People are helping one another here and have been since the storm hit. Long lines of people waiting for hours to get into one of the largest shelters the other day. No, they weren't there for a free meal. They were volunteers who came to help others. More than a few of them had lost their own homes to floodwaters as well, yet they came to help those even less fortunate.

My wife sent me this link today. I'm not on facebook, but I can view it. Hope you can too......

https: //www.facebook.com/spacecitysports/videos/1746572525383838/

Best regards,

Harry

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    TagMan and 6-bangertim like this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I put some hours in today at work, loading trucks headed to the grocery stores. For quite a few, today will be the first day they've opened since last Saturday.

30. I am inspired with how all the people effected by the nightmare of hurricane Harvey have come together to aide and assist their fellow man,regardless of ethnicity.

Many city's & states could learn a valuable lesson for a state and it's people that have been devastated by this disaster. HRP