Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looks like i will be trading for a ford station wagon this weekend.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Aug 24, 2017.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Correct.
    Used too...a person could,go into a Alabama Courthouse with a bill of sale with some type of VIN or even engine number on a wrinkled piece of notebook paper and get a tag.

Not so these days. Thanks to Boyd Coddington and other unscrupulous Alabama regestration dealers, the car now has to be inspected or have proof that is is indeed a Alabama car. These guys were selling tags, current registration and numbers across the nation so stuff like Boydsters and new builds were tagged as Alabama originals. Most states would recognize the official Alabama tag and issue a title. I think most still do. But that is something that needs to be taken up with the buyers DVM.

To buy a Alabama car....Now, Alabama does not issue titles prior the 1980s. Some cars may have titles back to 1975 and those are good in other states. A pre 1975 model year car will have not title in Alabama.

To buy and title a Alabama car.....I'm think this would be the same for Georgia and other no title states.
    If the seller has a tag receipt, and the names match on the Bill of Sale it should be a simple matter of getting a title in the buyers home state.

If the car has no tag or official record....the seller would have to tag the car in Alabama before the sale. This would require a visual inspection by the State or it's intermediary (DVM personell). A photo ID may suffice like in front of a landmark to prove it's a Alabama car. The VIN would have to be viewable. That's up to the individual Issuer otherwise the car would have to be at the courthouse for visual inspection.

Now the car has to have insurance. So the Alabama seller would have to insure the car, get a current tag and provide this with a Bill of Sale to the out of state buyer. As far as I know the car does not have to be operable to get insurance and a tag.

At one time it was a simple matter of titling a Alabama car out of state as long as there was proof (Alabama tag and regestration ).

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

That Packard would be an OUTRAGEOUS swapmeet hauler! Or a racecar tow vehicle(can you see the crowd reaction if that Packard Wgn showed up at a vintage event with an antique Sprint or Midget on an open trailer behind it??)

57 Fargo likes this.
  3. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

There is a Packard like that one mentioned in Pueblo, co. Look to be in nice shape. Been sitting for a while

loudbang likes this.
  4. Where the hell is Bruce so we can all know what he decided!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bruce, are you in the company of my ex wife??? She was a master manipulator of grinding at me until I sold, 'traded UP', or otherwise Got Rid Of: '54 Ford 427 Coupe; '53 Ford Victoria; (60K orig. miles) '52 Porsche Pre-'A' convertible; (1 of 35 mfd.) 2 Kurtis Midgets; steel '27 T roadster on Gennie '32 rails.
    Witch was bitching up toward my '55 F100, when I finally got rid of her.
    Thank God & Greyhound she's gone...
    My new wife and I don't have problems like that.
    Bruce...If you're cavorting with that old bag ex of mine, Stop it! (before you get into some LTD or such...)

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Depends on what county you live in F One. I don't think all counties are that strict, mine wasn't the last tag I bought. BOS with a vin number and sellers and buyers address was enough. No inspection, either.
    Also, on the titles, it's now a rolling 35 year cut off. If it's over 35 years old, no title is required, even if it was titled in AL to start with. They won't even issue a new title if you own it and it's over 35 years old.

loudbang likes this.
  7. exterminator

exterminator

Couldn't do it. Exterminator

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Really? A Dodge truck :confused: You must be a sucker for punishment :D

loudbang and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  9. williebill

williebill

Dang Mike, you a slow learner?

loudbang likes this.
  10. It was a 1976 ford.It was a dog so I passed on it.Thanks to you all.Bruce.

Stogy, triman62, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I'm with Rusty and buy a cool old trailer and paint it to match. Or just be patient it will surely sale. Why don't you just save a little for the new ford wagon is most likely will be cheaper than trying to buy an old chrysler.. like the old sayin goes. Wouldn't you rather have a Buick? Lol a 96 buick roadmaster is good option. RWD and a FI 350 Lt1 with o/d. If your a wagon guy sell that 4 door for a wagon. Best of luck Buddy. .
    Try selling on surrounding Craigslist, offer up and Letgo.com

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Every reply on this thread you have posted was so funny

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ClarkH likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

14. flatford39

flatford39

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

'76 Ford station wagon? Where's my rubber hose? I'm glad it turned out to be a bust. Old car guys NEED old cars.

headslap.gif

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  16. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

The right wagon will come along,just be patient.

Moriarity likes this.
  17. Phew! That was a close one, Bruce. Karma will click, the tumblers will align and the absolutely perfect wagon will roll right into your life.

18. Bruce,with the Shades of the Past coming up you need to do a little cruising the main drag,lots of out of folks from out of town, always wanting to buy or trade. HRP

19. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The only "later" model wagon I would ever think of having would be an Olds Vista Cruiser. But that's me and you're you. Just make sure it's not a trade you're going to regret later on down the road. Hang in there with a little more patience because you know what's going to happen, is that as soon as that deal is done a wagon is going to pop up that you really really like and... well you know the rest of the story.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. triman62

triman62

Bruce, lets get some pics of this one up, It is my favorite wagon too.

23. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Bruce, was this entire drama a cry for help!?!...and that packard is so fugly it's cool!

24. BJR

BJR

So...... for the moment Bruce is off the wagon! Good choice Bruce, wait for an older one.

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

No way.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, I tried...

lancer.jpg

27. Family car was a '62 Valiant wagon, fire-engine red, small slant six. Hated it at the time. Now I would dearly love to have it again.

28. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Your not looking very hard because there is 1 for sale at Big M's place(John Fowlie). 1959 Dodge wagon. Get on FB forward look web site. or The Forward Look Network. Your going to go from a Mopar or No Car to a Ferd. You might need to put "The plug in the Jug". You have my number Bruce.