Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Debunking the Myth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A couple videos debunking the myths of "You can't run two 600cfm carbs on a 350" or "You have to run progressive linkage on dual fours" and "You can't drive a car with no front shocks".
    This car acts the same to 67mph when I start getting a bounce on right front. I'm not saying build a car with no front shocks, but just showing it can be done to the guys that say it will be all over the road and undrivabile. It's been together for 10's, up into Canada down the QEW, down in Mo., all over the l-90, 290 and 190 hiways in N.Y.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Bill Nabors and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I drove my 57 chevy a couple hundred miles with no front shocks on the way to the Lone Star Roundup then I was in a curve with another car in the next lane and the front wheels began hopping with each hop moving into the occupied lane. Pretty scary. Its best to run shocks. I got away with it for a while

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I drove a 32 coupe without shocks...on of the dumbest things I ever day,it didn't take to long to correct that problem. HRP

Montana1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Dude, It's not a "myth"; and just because you got away with no shocks once doesn't "debunk" proven engineering.

On another subject, I love your engine's sound at idle. :cool:

5. Budget36

Budget36

My go-kart handled pretty good too w/o any suspension...as long as the road was flat and smooth.

6. They used to say that you could not run a Harley with a rigid front end that it was just for show bikes. I ran one that way from the lake of the Ozarks to Denver once. You can pretty near get away with anything that you want, it s just a matter of prudence or the lack there of. :D

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I live on Long Island and every time I have to get onto the mainland to a car show or a vacation, I travel on ether the Cross Bronx Expressway or the Belt Parkway to the Staten Island Expressway. You wouldn't dare driving a car without shocks on ether of those roads! Suicide!

8. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Your video camera would've been steadier with front shocks...:D

Leakie, 117harv, lucky-13 and 8 others like this.
  9. raven

raven

Well your fuel mileage would be extended if you ran progressive linkage...
    Just saying.
    r

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree 100% even though for some odd reason NY doesn't list shocks on this required list https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529.pdf They go a long way in helping you stay in your own lane and keeping control over the rig if you actually intend to drive it anywhere.
    Tell you what, get a couple of buddies to go along in another vehicle and make a video of you running down the freeway at 60 or better from the side where it shows the front tire (s) and how they stay in contact with the pavement over a road with expansion strips every few feet. Putt putting down a couple of smooth city streets doesn't really show anything unless you never plan on getting off smooth city streets.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  11. Help with tire wear too. ;)

12. I suppose it boils down to coloring outside the lines,if that's what you want from your car go for it,In my mind it's gambling with fate and hoping you don't hit a big pot hole and go careening across 3 lanes of traffic and get hurt trying to prove you don't really need shocks,or worse yet hurt someone else.

As far a how many cfm's your 350 can take and run well you know far more about that than I. HRP

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Or run them straight and keep your foot out of it and it should dump just as little.

If you don't want to change your pedal feel then progressive works but there's no reason you couldn't just pull your foot back and get the same amount of fuel

14. I was driving to a run alongside another deuce highboy. One of his front shock mounts broke (the repro F1 style.)

I can tell you that side of the front axle/wheel was flapping all over the place on the highway. He said it was real unnerving to drive.

Next day, new bracket, all good again. That was my real life demonstration that shocks do indeed perform a role.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I will add one thing, STOPPING! Shocks play a big roll in how well the tires grip the road during stopping; even if the wheels are locked..

16. You guys kill me, this car has been this way for 10 yrs !
    It rides exactly the same (like I said) as in the video until 67mph, at that mph I get a bounce in the right front but the car still tracks straight.
    This car handles curves like nobody's business, it doesn't bounce around curves, it's 80lbs off 50/50 weight bias. I would more than welcome anyone to video the car, rough or straight road, I have nothing to hide.

17. Here's an old video at speed, straight as an arrow

Just Gary likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice posi....

Just Gary likes this.
  19. v8deuce

v8deuce

Lol u guys are killing me! Shocks no shocks loved the videos!!
    Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Shocks are a myth now?
    Fake news

Wonder how much friction there is in the suspension? That will act just like a friction shock

Tim, Hnstray, Just Gary and 1 other person like this.
  21. Of course you need some travel in your suspension for shocks to be able to do anything.
    Rigid springs negate effectiveness of shocks.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. I just went out and removed the shock absorbers from all my cars, I feel so much safer now.

Mick

deucemac and Just Gary like this.
  23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You clowns are going to set hot rodding back 30 years. You think smoke, costumes, & noise equals quality & craftsmanship ....

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just because you can doesn't mean.....

Just Gary likes this.
  25. That's scary,billet aluminum,monochrome paint,tweed interiors,splash graphics and directional wheels.. Noooooo! HRP

26. Shocking news! :eek:

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

IMO, if it works for Swade, then that's all that counts. I'm fairly sure he wouldn't willfully build or drive something that would harm himself or others.

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

I'm going a step further, I'm going to hard weld the rear end and front end in..be like driving (a train) on rails!

29. I know right

30. I believe I said that in my opening post, all my other cars have shocks, in fact 2 of them have adjustable shocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.