Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Corvair Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jim,Is the back of the car black with oil,I know my old corvair sure got nasty with all the leaking oil. HRP

2. In 1971, the dam actually had tours, and we were lucky enough to get the tour through the complete complex, including the inspection tunnels. The story of building that dam is really interesting. We were driving the same truck as in the avitar, with the 396, and a camper. The other great part of the trip, was that I was still able to drive on pieces of Route 66.

34toddster, czuch and loudbang like this.
  3. pumpman

pumpman

Squirrel, I noticed on your seat repair you left the seal on it, are you planning to return it?

LostBoy and loudbang like this.
  4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Not to hijack the thread. You can't see from the highway but it has a foot bridge you can walk out on.

They say it's a 900 drop under the span of the new bridge, it's cool.

View each way.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3578.JPG

5. We ain't got no QT gas stations around here, so I guess that's our problem. Just disappointed that I didn't see a news photo of hundreds of spectators staring up to the same spot in the sky all wearing the same Groucho glasses. :p

loudbang likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

The back of the car is covered with oil.

Anyways...more fun today. Half way from Flagstaff to Phoenix, I smelled a little burning something, and then the GEN light went on. I stopped, because I thought maybe the fan bearing had locked up or something. Looked at it, all looks well, belt was still on. I removed the belt to see if something was seized, everything spun nicely. But the back of the generator looked funny inside, like a brush came out of it's holder.

I thought a minute, then disconnected the wires to the voltage regulator, and taped them up. I put the belt back on. Started it up, it seemed like all was well back there, but the gen light was still on of course. I have a little cigarette lighter plug voltmeter, it showed that the solar panel was keeping the battery above 13v (it was around 3 pm). I decided to see if I could make it to my son's house, before dark. Google maps said traffic was about 15 minutes slow, which is not too bad, I had 83 miles to go.

I made it! I'll tinker with the generator tonight, and probably just leave it as is if I can't fix it. And drive to Tucson in the morning after traffic clears up, and the sun is up in the sky.

My brother wants to buy the car, so I'll leave it at his house in Tucson, and have my wife come get me.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Great story! Thanks Squirrel.

loudbang likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think I'm fixing this generator...

generator.jpg

t-rod, Woogeroo, hotrodharry2 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

that last pic "generates" memories of failing generators - your brother will have time to source a replacement - on eBay and others

loudbang likes this.
  10. OUCH! :eek: Either your stereo system put too much of a load on it or your solar panel was back-feeding it. :p

Or maybe it was THE TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN! :rolleyes:

slowmotion, LostBoy and loudbang like this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's just about what I saw in the last generator I had on a hot rod in 1967, and I said , and I quote: "Piss on this, I'm using alternators from here on out on any vehicle that the generator fails". Never again replaced a generator with another generator. We put the one wire Mopar with the itty bitty cutout relay on everything you can imagine.

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

On the last leg of the trip , and you didn't even have to clean the oil off the back...what fun :D.

loudbang likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If the solar back fed the generator wouldn't that motor it and help push the car along? :)

14. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

That generator looks original....lousy junk generator, only lasted 53 years! Your lucky you got as far as you did since it looks like you left home with worn out brushes that started arcing and burned up the commutator.

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

That sounds like an accurate assessment.

Except it is stamped rebuilt.

Ron Funkhouser, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  16. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, Corvairs and generators. Takes me back. Came home one aftertnoon, parked my '63 convert in the driveway, went inside to make a call, and thankfully looked out the window: black smoke pouring thru the decklid vents. Ran outside, opened the lid, there was the generator spinning like mad--the black smoke was the burning belt. Yanked the battery cable and that was that. Went to work the next day--Market Street Shell--and installed an alternator.

What a GREAT trip, Squirrel. Thanks for bringing us all along!

...still think you should have tried the Columbus trick at the eclipse...:D

John B, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  17. Jim, You probably weren't far from here when the generator crapped out . Bad luck zone this year...Forest fires, floods ,etc.
    Damn, you're a driving fool ... 800 miles or so since 10:30 am ,Monday ?

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. LostBoy

LostBoy

First thing I did was toss the generator for an alternator. You need a late model oil filler if you do. Very cool that the solar panel worked out. It's a hybrid now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-rod, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. Thanks for the ride la... Er Jim! :eek:

loudbang likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I had thought about heading to Jerome to see the place and maybe say hi, but it was a bit too far off the path. Then the generator died...and I was thinking about that I know someone in the area if I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jim.All fun things must come to an end,as does this road trip adventure.Thanks for the ride along.May you have many more safe and happy ones in the future.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

kind of pricey, but probably in stock.
    http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C2058N

NAPA and Rock Auto kind of stalled when it came to generators.

Summit racing clams they can ship a $413 replacement 1 wire 90 amp today
    1963 CHEVROLET CORVAIR Powermaster PowerGEN Alternators 82051

Summit is taking a serious run at being a "parts" store it seems.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Jim,Have you checked to see if there is a alternator/generator repair shop in the area?

We have several here in our town.

Maybe a tractor shop.HRP

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    LostBoy likes this.
  24. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My cousin found a Marvel oil jar that feed into the intake . So he hooks it up , he starts his corvair and it sucked a quart of Marvel oil into the engine . We couldn't see took a day or so for the exhaust to clear up . Good Times lol
    Good Luck at the race . I'll be cheering for you in spirit .

Truck64 and loudbang like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

I made it to Tucson, and dropped the car off at my brother's house. My wife picked me up and is taking me the last 75 miles home. With ac.

[​IMG]

The solar panel will keep the car running OK for local driving. It's already paid for. Generators can get expensive, but David can probably score one for free if he asks enough people.

27. What an amazing trip! Thanks for taking us along.

hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  28. Always good to get home, that was a heck of a trip. How many miles total do you figure?

29. squirrel

squirrel

Right around 5000 miles

John B, t-rod, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.
  30. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

In 1965, rebuilt generators were $9.95 and rebuilt carbs were $14.95 with core trade in..... what happened?