Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight 6 exhaust....what works??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeyboy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

....so it's time to put exhaust on the beater, 200cid ford, will be eliminating the converter, as well as some huge chamber looking thing at the manifold/pipe connection..just wondering what would sound good on this thing, not a glasspack , but what type of muffler, size pipe, etc...sorry to be stoopid, but this my first experience with 6 in a row exhaust..............
    thanks y'all

2. TheDooWopKid13

TheDooWopKid13

straight exhaust with a split manifold is the best way to go for these motors

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

No question is stupid, stupid is not asking questions!

Now, have you considered running a large straight pipe ( No Muffler) from the engine out the back? If not you should, 6's have a sound all of their own, and it's way cool.
    If you set on having a muffler, do NOT use those California Turbos, as they sound like shit.
    Glenn

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I think glasspacks sound good on sixes. Spliting the exhaust with a split header really is the ticket though- then you get that stereophonic rap that only sixes really have.

the mustang guys seem to like turbo style mufflers and nobody seems to like flowmasters.

I am running split header to open pipes right now but I am getting tired of having old ladies cover thier ears and shake thier fists at me. . . putting in some small baffles this weekend to try and tone it down a bit.

5. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

btw...this is on a 4door squaremont..split manifold is a bit out of the question...i've heard turbo's sound like shit on a 6 in a row..something about the exhaust pulse timing, or the alignment of the palnets [​IMG] but seriously folks, would like a cool sound out of the shitbox....straight pipes just might be the ticket.....

6. Tony

Tony

I put a split manifold (4-2) on my 235, with stainless packs. I think it sounds really good.
    I'm also gonna make straight pipe replacement's for when i wanna make more noise...just switch out the muff's.

I had to come back 'cause ya said no split manifold..
    I'd just run straight pipe then..

Rat....

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

On a straight six Fairmont, you say?

If you don't care whether or not it has any mufflers, and you wanna keep it pretty low-buck...try running a pipe off of the stock manifold in the small (probably 1 7/8" or 2") factory diameter, then putting a splitter in about under the front seat area.

(By 'splitter', I mean a y-shaped pipe in the head pipe diameter)

Then start to run the pipes straight back towards the rear of the car.

Go back nine inches on one side, and pop in an expander to up the diameter to 2.5", and install a nine inch length of 2.5" diameter pipe.

On the OTHER side, go back three inches and do the same thing, expanding to 2.5" for an 18" length run. Then step both of these pipes back down to the stock diameter and terminate the system as you wish...either with dumps pointing down in front of the rear axle, or into twin tailpipes, or into 90 degree turns and out the side...whatever you want!

You're essentially creating a couple of hollowed out "cherry bombs" of different lengths split from a common head pipe. It won't do wonders for performance or anything, but it'll give you a thunderous snap when ya get on it...and it'll have people scratching their heads trying to figure out what the hell kind of engine sounds like THAT!!

And...when driving easy...it won't upset the cops TOO much!

8. Why is a split manifold out of the question? It's easier than you might think, and it sounds sweet..... People will tell you that you can't weld on a manifold without NiRod, but I did mine with a 110 mig and it worked fine. Split it 4-2, ran 1 3/4 pipes back to the rear axle, and then a pair of 16" glasspacks. mellow at idle, raps hard when I lay into it. A six with true duals sounds like nothing else.....

9. 53_210

53_210

Since we're talkin about split manifolds... can anyone tell me the what the difference in sound is between the 3/3 and the 4/2 split? Thanks

Derrick

10. deadelvis

deadelvis

Both my rides run a six, for now. The 65 falcon has the 170 with straigt pipe from the stock manifold. Had a turbo muffler on it but it sounded like shit. Took it off and it was sweeeeet! Put it back on it though cause it's for sale.

The 49 has the flat 6 with the stock manifold. Ran pipe down a few inches and then into a Y. Then ran each out the sides for custom made lakes with no baffles. Sounds crazy tight even at idle, even better when you roll off of it coming to a stop! Straights the way to go in my opinion, whatever that's worth!

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The 4/2 split has a deeper, "meaner" sound, where the 3/3 split has a more classic six cylinder "buzz" to it. The main difference being an even number of pulse vs an odd number per split.

My Dad ran a 4/2 split on his 51 Chevy back in the 50s with full duals and glasspacks on both sides. He said it had a nasty rumble that scared off many guys driving the "new V8s", even though the car was really a slug with it's 235!

12. Last 6 banger I had, I ran Clifford headers on it. It was a 292 chevy with a Q-jet and HEI ignition. I had the muffler shop put meduim length glasspacks on it with 4"X 24" blooey tubes. It was really mellow until you put your foot in it. Then it sounded like a great big pissed off bumble bee!
    I found the headers at a local swap meet and talked the seller down to $60...

13. Smittys or some sort of steel pack. I think that JCWhitney(shameless smpam again) still sells Holleywoods.
    Tailpipes to the bumper (or a little past).
    If you can get away with it nuthin' sounds like a six with dual straights, kinda like a piper cub. [​IMG]
    Neat thing about an inline is that you can build a set of headers (split) and hook the correct cylinders to the correct collector, for proper scavanging. Cheap performance.

14. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

On my 170 ford i ran a stock exhaust manifold into 1 3/4 pipe i think to a glass pack and over the rear end out in back of the rear tire and idling it wasnt loud but when you stepped on it, it sounded really good. I agree about the sixes having a sound of their own, v8s are cool but i love six cylinders!! Nate

15. 59FORD

59FORD

I'm running a 223 straight 6 with stock manifold and 2 inch pipe and a 22 inch glasspack. It really has no sound. In a week or two I'm going to cut the glasspack out.
    I'm just going to try one 2" pipe out of the stock manifold straight back to the bumper. If that doesn't sound good then I'll try it with a y in the middle.

16. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Running a Clifford dual outlet header, 2" duals, Heartthrob turbo packs and Meg's tips on a 250 Ford. Sounds awsome! [​IMG]

17. str8axle

str8axle

Can someone school me on the 4-2 split exhaust on a Chevy 235/261? When I look at the exhaust ports on the head from front to back, ports 1 and 6 are separate and 2/3 and 4/5 are shared on a stock manifold. I understand a 3-3 split, like a set of Fentons, but where is the split in a 4-2?

18. shoebox72

shoebox72

[ QUOTE ]
    Can someone school me on the 4-2 split exhaust on a Chevy 235/261? When I look at the exhaust ports on the head from front to back, ports 1 and 6 are separate and 2/3 and 4/5 are shared on a stock manifold. I understand a 3-3 split, like a set of Fentons, but where is the split in a 4-2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard the same thing about 4/2 split on 216-235 and always was gonna comment on how I didnt think it was really possible. At least now I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's a line of shit.

I'm sure there are other makes of straight sixes that can be split 4/2 but I don't think Chevys are.

Billy

19. Justin415

Justin415

I have a Clifford split exh. mani on my chevy 194cid with 2 glass packs that dump with tips at the ground under the driver seat and it sounds great when yer easy on the gas an shakes the earth at heavy throttle. Not much fer back pressure but my 194 aint layin no patches anytime past or future anyway. Personaly I think nuthin else sounds like it, and thats good, lots of civilian head scratchers. 2c.

20. Stevie D

Stevie D

Steelpacks are good i had a set on a 63 nove covert. Two inch with 12" and 4" two foot long cannons everyone thought i had a v8 under the hood they couldnt beleave when i showed them a straight six. Oh by the way it had a split manifold. There is a place up here in minnesota that sells steel packs i'll try to grt you the url addy.

21. Tony

Tony

I got my manifold from crestliner on here. It's a stock manifold that he had split. They split it between the #4 and 5 cylinders using a steel plate.
    There's a 'new' outlet welded on the rear of the manifold behind the stock one(between the #5 and 6 cyls), and it is fed by the last two cyliders.
    This is on a 235 chevy, and it IS a 4-2 split.

Rat..

22. On my Falcon ,i ran 2&1/4 all the way to the back with a bout 18 in glass pack as the tail.Sounded great till about 5 grand then sounded like a killer bee!! [​IMG]Great down shift rattle tho!! [​IMG]

23. 71fordramair

71fordramair

ok to open up old post, what if you have inline six with dual headers and you connect #4 primary to #2 primary at the collector to have 4&5 fire consecutively and 6&1 fire consecutively? if you map out v8 collector firing order this is common. this may make a 6 sound like an 8. would there be a power increase?

24. 53 effie

53 effie

200 almost ready to start - Jun 2017.jpg Thanks for opening this old thread, it's exactly what I want to know..

I have my 60 Ranchero with a 200 inline six. I recently rebuilt the motor and put on the stainless header with split outlet that you can buy on ebay. Now I need to finish the exhaust system and have been looking for ideas or what others have done. I don't want too much noise. I had a glass pack on my old system with the stock manifold. It was too much on long trips, I'd have to crank up the radio and it would be hard to hear if I was using my phone when driving.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For an otherwise stock 6 cylinder borrow a trick from Dodge's Super Six. This was a factory optional slant six, it came with a 2 barrel carb borrowed off the 318, a stock exhaust manifold and a stock appearing single exhaust, but 1/2" larger than the 1 barrel version.

So, have the muffler shop make up a new exhaust 1/2" over size with the muffler of your choice.

26. 53 effie

53 effie

I did upgrade to a mild cam, oversize valves and flat-top (2.3 HSC) pistons while I was in the motor.

27. belair

belair

235, Fenton manifolds/headers, glass packs. Sounds great.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Pipes have to exit from under the car/truck behind the rear wheels to keep the noise that bothers you inside the rig on a road trip down. I had side pips on the 48 when I first put the 283 in it and it sounded great but got real annoying after several hundred miles a day.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Flowmaster hushpower is by far the best sounding muffler for a six. Forget all the split manifold crap, it doesn't help performance. Run a single exhaust system the same diameter as the manifold outlet. Or run a header. Used mandrel bent pipe. Run it all the way to the back and exit it past the body.
    I have had a couple of sixes this way and it is loud when you want it but won't melt your brain from drone on long trips.

30. 53 effie

53 effie

My last system did exit past the rear bumper through a single glasspack. I liked it for the most part but was a bit too much on the highway. People told me they could hear me coming quite a ways away.
    As I understand Flowmaster mufflers, the higher the series number, the less noisy they are. Maybe 50 series is what I'm looking for.