Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bodywork: 'Oil-canning' panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 16, 2017.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

You could what I found once. A big rubber ball glued between two panels to prevent oil canning.

2. NO FOAM unless its a fiberglass panel.
    You never want to put a wet sponge against metal. Especially in a place where it will collect moisture, but never dry out.

why be ordinary?

3. LostBoy

LostBoy

I feel an experiment coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've decided to just fill it with oil and attach a hose. The weight will keep it normally pushed out, no rust concerns and I can lube anything that needs lubin', both home and away.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't see how foam as in sealing/caulking would hold water as it is closed cell and sort of stupid to make a caulking to seal out elements absorb water...Instead of oil for me it would be Diet Coke!

LostBoy likes this.
  6. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Closed cell foam is also used to fill flotation tanks in fiberglass boats, to make them unsinkable (and more rigid). Short term it works well, but give it perhaps 10 or 20 years and it can be a water filled mess that requires the tanks to be cut open, cleaned out, and refilled with fresh foam (or something else, for those who don't like to repeat the job). Can be a very large and expensive job, depending on the construction of the boat.

8. My first reaction is to shrink the metal and then hack the paint, because "work truck". Not the other way around. I'm anal but the paint issues wouldn't bother me as much as the other. A work truck is dusty/dirty a lot of the time anyway.
    If I was tempted to ghetto it, I maybe might undercoat the back side and while still wet, lay on a thin plastic patch and glue or bond any foam bracing against that.
    (The plastic I picture in my mind is that clear "window" type used on the boxes kids toys come in, not a scrap of trash bag.)