Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old paint guns with new paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Will a binks model 7 hold up with new school paint. I hear it will do clear fantastically. But should I save my money for a sata or a sata knock off.
    Thanks
    Screenshot_20170817-163101.png

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock likes this.
  2. fenderhead

fenderhead
    from Stevens PA

It will work just fine but will not deliver the transfer efficiency of the HVLP guns. 50-55 pounds of air pressure for single stage of clear. 40-45 for base coat color.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

3. BJR

BJR

With the price of paint today you put about 60% more paint on the car instead of in the air with a good HVLP gun. The #7 will lay down paint with the best of them but will use way more paint to do the same job. I have a Binks #7 and haven't used it since I bought my Iwata LP400. I also use a finish line HVLP for primer.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It should spray okay, but put more material into the air at a higher pressure. I have some similar guns; which don't seem to be used anymore. I bought one of the new guns a few years ago and even picked up a couple of cheap HF gun; which seem to work fine. When I bought the HF guns, I looked at them as throw away guns, but they still work and make a decent primer gun.

j-jock and Donuts & Peelouts like this.

5. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Has anyone seen a gun with the numbers 555 and a R on it? Some guy has one for sale but can't find anything online

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

IMO A Binks 7 is still among the best. It's not better or worse than an HVLP, just different. Dad ran a shop for 33 years and did collision repair, restorations and hot rods(2 cars that I know of in magazines back in the '80s). Binks 7 was his "good gun" until the day he couldn't work any more. He generally sprayed with 35 to 40 lbs at the regulator.
    I've sprayed with Devilbiss and Binks HVLPs and, honestly, I still like his old Binks 7 just as much. Maybe it's that good or maybe it's just nostalgia. Who knows?

j-jock and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  9. the 7 can spray just about anything
    but I would recommend a newer style gun based on efficiency
    I have no doubt the right guy pulling the trigger on a 7 can paint just as well as a guy the knows how to use a SATA, IWATA...........
    but the guy with the newer gun will use less material

I would be curious how some of the new metallic base coats would spray through a 7
    sounds like an experiment for students this year

10. I bought a H.F. paint gun with the gage at the paint gun. I was used to spraying at 55 to 60 l.b.s. This gun said spray at 45 L.B.S..It worked GREAT no over spray and no dust in the 56 Chrysler paint job. Bruce. 002.JPG

11. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'm a Binks 7 fan for life, mostly because I borrowed my late Uncle's old old one until I bought mine in 1984. Had mine totally rebuilt a few years back at its 30 year old mark with me. I'm not a body shop, just a car guy & I know it omits alot of wasteful overspray but I also know how it works as if it were part of one's hand & it can be honed in to spray what I love , single stage paints, those as we know were its's intention. I've had a few early to mid 90s clear coat jobs "Chroma Base Dupont" that turned out stellar with it too. It should go down as the Zebco 33 of old school paint guns. Flux

midnightrider78 likes this.
  12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

"7vins-n-satas" sounds like "aces-n-8's" both are in my repertoire .
    cupboard full of them and one lone straggler a sharp gravity feed HVLP.
    All the posters are correct in their assessment , all good advice.