Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A little new here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Josh49, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Josh49

Josh49

Hey everyone! I'm a little bit new here. I had an account on here but I cannot remember my email or password for it. But I have been a member on the Ford Barn for a good long while. But I come here with a question. I have a 1949 Ford sedan with an Inline 6 Flathead and I want to put a new engine and transmission in it. I'm just wondering what can fit in my car. I can fabricate and weld engine and trans mounts. Any help and or ideas are greatly appreciated! Im looking for a used engine so probably nothing new. Too expensive for my taste! :D

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, clunker and Model T1 like this.
  2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Any American V-8 of your choice. Or another I-6. To me; it looks like it's begging for a Nailhead Buick, or an early Olds with three twos.

3. Small block Ford would be cool. Should be able to find one reasonable.

4. Welcome (again), and nice shoebox. You won't get anyone suggesting '''new'' stuff here!

5. don daddyo

don daddyo

Yeah! sure something with Ford in it...would be kool...

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yassuh, Boss! Costs a little more for parts than that motor everyone else has, but you can get a 302 HO Mustang motor that'll do what you want. I've had 2 of them; one set up with an auto. tranny (C-4), and one 4 spd. ( and the distributor is in the FRONT!! What a brilliant idea!!)

Or, one of these old things; DSCN2465.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    chryslerfan55 and Josh49 like this.
  7. Josh49

Josh49

Thanks everyone for your input! I like the small block ford idea. But it's good to know i can basically put whatever I want in there! I'm actually in the process of looking for a donor vehicle. I feel that might be a little bit cheaper and easier. So it'll be quite a process, but I am very excited about it. Im looking to start tearing down the car once it gets warm over here in Minnesota.

Joe Mammana likes this.
  8. I like the 302 idea. It's simple, just remember to use a Bronco pan and a rotating Oil Filter mount and your home free. I see another new member on here doing a 302 swap and he had already cut a large section of the Front cross member out for FRONT SUMP pan room. "NOT" the good way to go. I went with the generic white wrapper replacement motor for everything out there in mine. No regrets.
    Under the Hood 002.jpg
    Good luck to ya,, The Wizzard

9. Model T1

Model T1

Welcome back Josh. I heard a lot of those '49 Fords came out with a small block Chevy. Might be different and try one of those!:oops:
    That Pist-N-Broke swap looks nice too.

10. Josh49

Josh49

Looks like that might be the way to go. I'm loving it!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Having recently participated in a small block Ford (289) swap into a '50 Ford, I can offer some suggestions. The later model so-called 'double sump' pan works in the '49/'51 chassis and there was no need for modified oil filter mount. If the engine you obtain has the older deep front sump pan, you will have to use the matching double sump oil pump, as it is a bit shorter, but is a no mod bolt in.

EDIT: Just remembered....the early deep front sump pan engines have a front dip stick. The later pan requires a dipstick farther back. If you use an engine late enough to already have the double sump pan you'll be ahead of the game in several ways. In our case, I fitted the newer pan with a rearward dipstick tube.

The factory tubular header style manifolds also fit nicely, clearing all the stock stuff. Motor mounts were obtained by the owner from one of the popular Shoebox parts vendors. They bolted in after drilling a few holes in the crossmember. The mount kit also contained a tranny mount.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What?

14. If you want to see the Pan we're talking about go to Speedway and key in 910-06675. I like the Oil Filter adapter in lou of a Shorter filter. Check out Speedway 910-6880. Also, both these items are factory Ford items also so a little wrecking yard hunt could turn them up for less $$$.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray likes this.
  15. Leo fuentes

Leo fuentes

Hello sir I am new to this site but I am definitely thinking of doing a 289 swap on my 49 coupe, my question is where would I purchase the right motor mounts that don't require modification just drill holes and bolt up

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hi Leo. Please make a new post in the general H.A.M.B. Section.
    A intro in the intros section is also proper etiquette.

17. Hello Leo, like Petejoe says look at the very top of this page and you'll see : New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here and just click on it.
    Personally I don't know of any just Bolt up mount kits. I have no faith in Kits and have made a living at hand building things for over 50 years. Early on Kit's just got ya close and left ya hanging. I see it hasn't changed much. Good luck.
    The Wizzard

18. Canus

Canus

Don't forget the 351W for more power than the 289 or 302. Also the 300 six may be an option.

19. Yep pretty much anything that fits our site guidelines will fit, some easier than other.

The Rocket V-8 was a popular option where I used to live. In SoCal way back when (and probably other parts of the world) the caddy V-8 was also popular hence the term Fordillac.

If you ask Jeff ( @flamedabone ) he will tell you that the Poncho is a shoe in. I know he did one in a Business coupe, actually about the only thing I can think of that he hasn't shoved a Poncho in is a Toyota Corolla.

Anyway just choose a motor it'll probably fit.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the things I would keep in mind would be the weight of the engine you are going to use. Too heavy an engine (an early Chrysler hemi, even an Olds Rocket are quite a bit heavier then the flathead 6 or V8), and you will have in ill-handling monster with marginal traction. Back in the day, I knew a couple of guys who put a 337 Lincoln in a '53 Ford. The only thing good I can say about the result is that they didn't have to buy any "Aerostar" front springs. For practicalities sake, an SBF seems the way to go.

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Does it run?
    The flat 6 was a good engine some say it was much better than the V8.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's put it on, the last suit your will ever wear...again - Agent J

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hemi 767#
    Flathead V8 569#
    Rocket 700#
    YBlock 625#
    FE 650#
    SBC 575#
    Nail Head 685#
    331 Cadillac 699#
    SBF Challenger 221-302 460#
    Pontiac 389 590#
    Lincoln 332 850#
    Ford 300 6 590#

It was fairly common for these cars to get SBC...Y block....FE, Rocket and Cadillac.
    That and the 1 ton of whiskey in the moon tanks....
    These cars for the time had a reputation of handling well with a lot of weight. I'm sure things were done to help manage the weight but must not have been too difficult.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1962 the older kid down the street had a 1950 Ford Crestliner and one day he had the hood open. I looked. It had a smallblock chevy. Those were considered the standard solution to the flathead problems for many years. Only on the Hamb do you find anyone knocking the sbc

koolkemp likes this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have considered the SBC for my F1 to replace a.......302.
    It is almost like the SBC was designed to go into a Flathead era Ford.
    Besides the original Flathead, the Chevy fits better than anything.

26. The OP's last post was a year and a half ago. I wonder what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My vote goes for the Buick nailhead!!