Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest California black & gold plates on new cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Aug 6, 2017.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I've been seeing a lot of Black and Gold license plates on new California cars. I can't believe all these people are paying for Vanity plates on these Honda's and Toyota's. Maybe they are. Am I missing something here?

Gary

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have yet to see a set on an old car. People are just color coordinating their cars.

3. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

They just trying to be kool. Black/yellow plates don't look good on late model cars, imo. 69' or earlier, ok.

4. Here ya go Brian :p had em about a year now.

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't seen that in quite a while. I think the last time I saw you in a hot rod, you had the track T out.

6. Yea I haven't been to many shows this summer. Will go to Nor Cal Knockout on this coming Saturday though.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might go, too.

8. evintho

evintho

I'll be there (spectator) to check out the new venue.
    New black and yellow plates are $60 initially then $30 annually.

9. My '36 Willys and '53 Chevy pickup have original black'n'golds. Sadly will have to give them up when I leave my native, once great state and move to Texas (Wow that hurts to say!!) when I retire. Can't stay here and give all my retirement savings to Moonbeam Brown or Gavin Newsome or whomever the next Marxist dictator is.

DRear.jpg
    P1010561.JPG

10. Incidentally on a nearly totally unrelated thread, why do they fuzz out license plates on TV shows and news reports? It isn't like we don't see them in real life on the streets occasionally.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    PunkAssGearhead88 and czuch like this.
  11. I've seen them on a few 60's cars, but down here it's getting pretty rare NOT to see them on new cars......especially in Newport Beach. It's kinda weird but when I go to L.A or I.E areas and I don't see them everywhere....it looks strange. I knew the plates would take off, but not this much. It cheapens the original black plates to me, I'm glad they didn't go with the '56 yellow plates.......yet. I remember when they were testing to see which ones would go into production, the '63 blk, the '56 yel or the '69 blu.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

This is news to me.....the state is reproducing the gold on black plates?
    In other words, another version of vanity plates and the state makes more money. Good on them!
    I have an original set here in New Brunswick that I got with a '63 T bird.

AZbent likes this.
  13. I believe the belief is, if you have random numbered plates and those are ever shown on the 'net or any other media, Russian Gypsies will come to your house, jack your car, ravish your women, tattoo your kids and steal your dog.

However, if you have a special, vanity plate you have to do the opposite and make it your avatar. It's like a law or something, I think. :rolleyes:

redo32 likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look stupid even on a car they might belong.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

one of those things that sounded good in the beginning but, now just takes away from the original plates and few care if they are original now.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think I'm just not going to care about what plates people put on their cars....

17. I've had mine for 21 years. What's the big deal?

[​IMG]

18. Dar73

Dar73

For 50 bucks, why not go with a new black plate, certainly looks better than the white plates they have had for years now.... granted, I am bias. Had one on my black truck for three years now. The new black plates are slightly different than the 63 version, it has a kind a purple look to it and is a little glossier, where the original black and gold was flat paint.... Not long before the blue or yellow plates return as well.

BigDogSS likes this.
  19. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

I love em...gonna put em on my 06 magnum better than the horrible current cursive script...

BigDogSS and mike 51 like this.
  20. Karrera

Karrera

Keep your plates and use them at the car shows wherever you wind up - it will add an extra touch that the spectators will appreciate.
    I had a replica made of the tag my car wore from 1956-62. Here in Georgia they don't care as long as I have the real plate handy.

upload_2017-8-7_17-32-46.jpeg

Attached Files:

21. People are stupid. Extra $ for fake plates. I still have my original gold on black AXY 189 plates on my Plymouth and gold on blue 797 XOL on my bug. My "new" car has the plates it came with and will stay that way.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

They do look pretty good (better than the white plates) on black cars. People think nothing of paying $50,000 for a new daily, so what's $50 a year for a black plate? For that matter, people around here think nothing of dropping $50 a week at Starbucks...

23. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

At least you can tell the originals only had 6 digits instead of 7. I still have both my originals on my 59

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

All new cars with those nostalgia plates should be required to run bias ply tires.

For the real nostalgia feel.

25. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

kinda doubt most of them even know the plates used to be black......they just look better on some vehicles and,believe or not, some folks just want their cars to look different from everybody else's.
    Surely some of you can relate to that?

Special Ed likes this.
  26. 327Eric

327Eric

Buncha rebels trying to be different like everyone else.

Special Ed likes this.
  27. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

s
    Since there are nearly 31 MILLION vehicles registered in Ca....they won't really be like everybody else ;)

28. If you were really cool, you'd have these old waffle pattern aluminum plates that aren't much thicker than a beer can.

IMG_2082.JPG

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend with a 32 3window had a " normal" calif plate painted it black and had a local stripper paint on the gold letter/numbers and the word California in block letters instead of script. No $50.00 a year and a plate reader would just see it as the proper one on the proper car.

30. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

^^^Except its illegal in Calif. to alter a lic. plate.

Special Ed and gimpyshotrods like this.