Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Por 15 - sealing the can. Inert Blanketing Gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Aug 7, 2017.

1. I'll say this is a post to help, those of you that us Por. Search on google for ......Inert Blanketing Gas for paint.
    If you have a tig welder use the 100% Argon.
    If you do not have a Tig, use Bloxygen or similar Gas blanket.
    "Bloxygen " Sold on Amazon and other vendors Still a must to to clean the can top and and sealing rim. Or you will not get the top off after drying.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What about shooting some Mig gas into the can just before popping the lid back on?

3. I have never tried it........
    I would think to should be ok .. It can't be any worse then using nothing.

. I use the spray can with the little tube. I punch three small holes on one side lid near the edge, and two on the other side. Pour out the needed paint, tape over one set of holes. Then spray two/three seconds of blanket gas, then tape the remaining holes. I have shelved cans for several months.
    This is what we do when products sensitive to moisture. such as Brake fluid any paint.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The reason I suggested mig gas as it is inert so it does the trick.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Craziness. Just use two self tapping screws in the lid. One to pour out of and the other is the vent. Keep the cans in the refrigerator and they last for years. No fancy stuff needed

chubbie and Texas Webb like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only buy pints, and use it all at once.

7. Never2low

Never2low

I put 2 pieces of saran wrap in between the lid and can. Hasn't failed me yet.

uncle buck likes this.
  8. raymay

raymay

Any unused POR after I open a can gets transferred to small plastic cool aid containers.
    The plastic containers are flexible and easier to get open. If the POR skims over in the container I can easily remove the bad material. Clean up is also easy using lacquer thinner.
    I found I get a longer shelf life by storing the leftover POR in the refrigerator. Recently I used some that had been in the refrigerator over a year.

0808170833.jpg

chubbie likes this.
  9. ahshoe

ahshoe

Easier than all this. I just turn the can upside down after sealing to store it. Air can't get in if it's blocked from the inside with the product. Been doing this time after time with Por 15 and all paint and stain.

TagMan and Texas Webb like this.
  10. This works.do it myself.