Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is your FAVORITE 4 cyl for a HotRod project? MPG-HP !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 28, 2004.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

With GAS now nearing $3.00 + per gallon here in the USA, and is expected to continue to rise, does this have an impact on your decision for power of your HotRod now ???

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

ka motors kick ass. just sold my s13 with 160k, ac still blows cold. nissan outperforms 2.3 fords any day. sr20det, 205 hp stock, 400 hp with a few simple mods. cant argue the numbers.

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Olds Quad Four. Pull all the funky covers off, and it looks like an Offy. You can bolt a S10 5 speed behind it for rear drive.

5. What kind of gas milage could one expect from a 60's Four w/ bumped compression, hot cam, and a couple twos or one four?

It doesn't seem you'd gain much just by running a four cylinder, unless it was an FI motor out of something late model.

6. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

The first Hot Rods (gow job, soup job, jalopy) were 4 bangers.
    Ever heard of an Offy, or a Riley.
    Get a clue.

7. i have a soft spot for Isuzu engines. Not many people think of em as far as performance goes but my daily driver 80 KB has a 1.8L whith an estimated 120hp(big gain over 85 stock). And i know guys running solid 12s whith the 1.6L version of my block. Theres lots of power to be had and i get 24mpg:cool:

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

I want 40+ MPG and my cake too :cool:

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

A year later, and my local gas station tells me that we will be $3.50+ a gallon with in 60 days.

11. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Here,s the engine in my sons rod.1600cc Ford Kent crossflow bored out to 1660cc 8;1 compression with a Wade R020 blower on a home made inlet manifold.Cruising @ 70mph it gets just over 30mpg, We have just replaced the 4 speed box with a 5 speed ,we gave it a quick blast up the road , the new first gear is lower than we had before and the 5th gear is a lot higher.On Monday we will be covering about 400 miles so will see what it,s like on gas with the new box.The blower makes 10lbs of boost .:eek: It,s no v8 but it,s quite nippy and has surprised a lot of people.Cheap to run and a whole heap of fun.

Attached Files:

12. Thumper

Thumper

Fuck 'em all.........build a t-bucket with a Yugo motor.:eek:

13. KoppaK

KoppaK

The weather must have warmed up, I can't see the carb heater or the dryer hose.

14. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

My favorite banger is a 32 model B motor......kind of a spendy alternative for parts tho.

15. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Well here it is for those that don,t know what Koppak was reffering to "THE JUNKYARDGENIUS & SON PATENT CARB DE ICING KIT" and don,t forget folks this is not available in any store.Send the money to JUNKYARDGENIUS & SON AND DON,T FORGET CASH ONLY PLEASE.

Attached Files:

16. Roorda

Roorda
    from Pella IA.

my buddy has a 26 t roadster with 87 ford turbo out of a thunderbird turbo coupe fuel injected 27 miles to the gallon cruise control and it scoots it will make mustang and camaro shit at stoplights put it on the scales only 10lbs differnt front to rear 1690 with out the drive it is a ball

17. guiseart

guiseart

I had a 2.2 litre in this one, made in america, but i heard the block was made by VW... got over 20mpg... FWD though, which can be fixed.

18. $2.00 a gallon damn w's brother is taking care of you. 2.70 and rolling here.
    but at 10 bucks a gallon I'm still going to tour a Hemi V-8 and six fucking two's I'll just have to gve myself a raise and us my company Hemi as a write off

19. rustymetal

rustymetal

the crooks got the gas to 5.17 gallon here in nova scotia and they say it is going to 6.75 a gallon.
    when is this bullshit going to end.

20. It's crossed my mind a few times, and I think it's worth doing in a lightweight car.

First pick (for the available aftermarket parts) Ford Zetec. they race the hell out of these things in all sorts of SCCA meets, and they look bad as fuck stripped down with side draft carbs. Plus, you can couple 'em up to a cheap 5-speed for serious reliable economy.

Second pick A 4-cyl Alfa motor from late 60s or 70s. Stripped down with the accessories remounted they have a crazy resemblance to an old Offenhauser block. They sound bad as hell up in the revs, too.

Third, but not so visually pretty would be a recent BMW straight 6. I know we were supposed to talk about 4s, but imagine an M3 motor ripping up 300+ torquey horsepower in a lightweight package. you'd just have to keep the hood and sides on cause it gets a little ugly if you expose the sides of the motor.

My 2 pesos.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40 horse Pope Hartford would be my 1st choice to build a speedster out of. Though i will take the pile of 4 lunger stuff sitting down in soCal when i get around to it.

for modern, i am going to rock the pinto motor with the Merkur head conversion on it.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Thinkinh of using a 260 crank in my Ford 289, running a t5 and 3-0 rear grears in a 38 Ford Pick up.
    Betya I get high 20mpg and have some gut too.:cool:

23. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Phil 1934,
    Don't let these" Wish I Was" dinosaurs get to you. There's room for everybodies ideas. Quad 4 138 cu.in. Comp Cam,Wiseco pistons, stock crank and rods,my own ignition and EFI computer,Eaton M-90 supercharger in a 1300 lb.
    '23 bucket = 7.80s @ 162mph. On the street with boost down to 12 lbs. gets 38 mpg.
    Gemini EFI

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Why not build a 4 banger small block?? I kinda remember some salt car a few years back done that way

25. Dugg

Dugg

Opinion No. 132: I'm aiming for the Olds Quad 4 as stated by several before me. I like the idea of the exhaust on the passenger side so it doesn't require six pounds on Borg-Joints for steering or fighting the clutch linkage around the pipe. And, the intake is on the driver side in case I want to squirt in some ether for passing gear.

26. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I don't care how you slice it but (1400 Lbs. + 300HP - fenders - a top = HOT ROD).

Attached Files:

27. What about the GM Ecotec? 2.2 & 2.4 naturally aspirated or 2.0 turbo, like the Saturn Quad Coupe Redline. Drag racers & the salt flat guys are getting 1,000+ HP out of them(your mileage may vary). They're all aluminum and there's a bunch of speed stuff available for them. You can even buy the engine/supercharger package as a crate motor from GM dealers. Now if I just had an extra couple thou laying around...

28. Phil1934

Phil1934

One just went for $2500 on ebay with the RWD Solstice 5 speed auto. However anything more than the high boost pulley kit for the supercharged engines puts you in the five figure hop up range. While th enew turbo one sounds good at 260 HP for 2 L, direct injection, etc. puts it too far outside the comfort zone of most people.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

I would REALLY like to learn more about your combination.
    Glenn

30. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I would have to say quad four oldsmobile because they are cool looking and cheap in junkyards then the ford turbo.