Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 Cadillac Hood Hinge Spring Install HELP!!! WTF????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Jul 31, 2017.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I've been fighting these damn hood hinges springs for 2 days now. I've had them off and on about 4 different times. I've tried installing them with the hood propped open & the hood closed. Every time I get them on & attempt to close the hood, the hood won't rotate back & ends up sticking out about a foot past the front of the car & comes down on the fenders (chipped paint & small dings now $&@!$&@$&@$!?&@$ !!!!!!!) anyways. I've pretty much given up on the damn hinges at this point as a stick holds the hood up just fine. Ha ha. Am I putting them in wrong or are the hinges jacked up. The hinges work great without springs. I'm attaching the springs to the mounting bracket that's down low on the firewall area & honing the other side of the spring on the area of the hinge that appears to be grooved out for the spring. Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-8-1_20-34-43.png
    I made up something similar to this however I used 1/2" diameter threaded rod so it won't bend. A couple of flat washers, lengths of hollow thick wall tube that the rod slides into and a couple of links of heavy chain. Cut the chain links in half and weld to the tubing (both sides of link). Easy to control the tension when extending or shortening. I've used other tools for leverage from time to time and vice-grips when I collision repair years ago..
    I've seen others use a hydraulic jack to stretch the spring and then use a length of deformed bar ground with a notch on each end to capture each end of the spring hook ends.

Bruce Fischer and JUNK ROD like this.
  3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Thanks stumpy. I made up something similar to that, but my issue is more of the hood not closing once the springs are on. It doesn't slide back into place, just comes straight down causing the hood to stick out about a foot past the bumper & on top of the fenders in turn chipping the paint on the fenders. Ughhhh!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

This is for the same year Chevy, Don't know if it will Help.

Dave Mc likes this.

5. jmurrayent

jmurrayent
    from Reno, NV

Josh,
    I've had similar problems with a 53 Cad. Your hinges are worn out or tweaked. You need to find a new mechanism, or possibly rebuild yours by tightening up the pivot points. On a different note, Cadillac had a special spring installation tool that I duplicated that works much better than the all thread method, let me know if you want me to post a pic of it.
    Cheers,
    Allen

omarine and zbuickman like this.
  6. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I'll check out the video. Thanks Chiss. Also that would be great to see a pic of the special caddy spring tool. Thanks guys.

7. jmurrayent

jmurrayent
    from Reno, NV

Here's the tool I made based on the Cadillac tool, similar, but not exact, second pic shows it in action. I step on it with my foot while guiding it looking into the fenderwell.....

Attached Files:

8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Allen what are the dimensions on that thing. That's pretty trick. I'd like to make one of those.

9. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

A) are they the correct springs?
    B) I used a pry bar & brute force. hook springs to hood, raise car on a lift, 2 guys hook the pry bar in the lower spring & PULL!

10. On my 54 Chevy I used some 40 washers after stretching it with the floor jack. Not all the washers have fallen out yet

11. morac41

morac41

Hi Greaser...They are the bain of most Caddy owners who have to remove and refit them..have a look in my albums ..several pics in hood tension spring fitting...mine is a 49 but I think they are the same..I used a trolley jack to stretch the spring and then held it in place with all thread and angle iron brackets... IMG_3896.JPG IMG_3898.JPG IMG_3900.JPG

12. morac41

morac41

Hi Greaser ..After reading you post properly I understand what you are getting at....My 49 was doing the same ...I re bushed the pivot points and it didn't change a thing ..I still had to push the left side of the rear hood into place.....I have done the same to my 41 Cad and I still have to push the left rear side of the hood into place ..I think the mounting frame inside of the hood must have a slight twist in it
    Another thought ..is the the right hinge frame for that year car

13. omarine

omarine

Hello GreaserJosh -

I tried to install my hood springs yesterday on my 52 cdv. same exact thing happened to me, (screwed up my fenders!) I called the seller as he sent it to me with the springs off - must be some reason he wont tell me.

anyway he started telling me about the locating pin - but the shop manual only mentions that for adjusting the hood in a different paragraph than spring installation/removal..

I think my car is doing that exact thing yours did. Any wisdom you can pass on to me?

thanks!
    oscar

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The simplest and easiest way to remove hood springs and put them back on is to use the old fulcrum principle...get yourself a long (8 foot) steel rod (bar), hook your spring at the top as it's supposed to be, attach a loop to the bottom of your spring (I used an old loading strap) and slip another tighter loop around your 8 foot bar then slip the bar under the frame...simply push down on the bar and the spring will lengthen until you're even with the lower pocket. Slowly move the bar over until the lower spring hook slips into the pocket...you don't even have to jack up the car...!!! You may, however, have to use a 4 inch wood block under the frame to give yourself a bit more of a fulcrum point so the bar doesn't hit the floor first as you are pushing down...I've done this half a dozen times with the same results on my '48 Caddy...and you may have to cut the load strap OFF the lower spring once it's in place but it's sure easier than what you guys are trying to do now...

PS, unfortunately, I didn't shoot any pix of doing it this way, but you can figure it out...!!!

R-
    IMG_8320.JPG

Dave Mc and 302GMC like this.
  15. omarine

omarine

that does sound easier, will give it a try, thanks! i think my hinges are faulty. now that i think about it, over the last 2 months, ive been lifting the hood with no springs and i feel this weird forward and back rocking in the hood as opposed to a tight pivot up and down. i just never had a car with the hood springs off to compare to. it's making more sense now why i got the car delivered without springs installed....