Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Theft Protection Ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DHass, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You didn't provide details of your residence. Are you in a multi dwelling unit where the car is parked at a distance in an open lot and out of your sight or in a single family home where you can park the car just outside your window?

Lots of good ideas and suggestions. Nobody suggested installing a good car alarm system. While a pro will defeat it, it may buy you some time and you have the option for it to signal your fob or cell phone if it's tripped.
    Also, motion detected flood lights for night time.

53FordEffie and biggeorge like this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Heard of a guy who welded nails to the jaws of a gopher trap and mounted it around the dash mounted ignition switch of a 70's ford.

He was awakened buy the thief screaming in pain after he reached under the dash to unplug the switch.

53FordEffie and voodookustoms like this.
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

In one town we lived in car theft was really bad. We found if you filled the back of a truck full of garbage thieves would find another target.

Get some big black bags. Fill them with newspaper and rags. Cover the car with a tarp and the bags. Thieves will look elsewhere.

4. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

[​IMG]. There is this thing by battery doctor I was looking into. It will cut all the power to your vehicle kinda like a alarm. I think there is a upgraded one of these with a alarm horn with it not sure. Anyways bolt your hood down too I see that this disconnect is good for storage as well when not driving.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. toml24

toml24

Have you ever heard the phrase " Our product is like LoJac, only better". Yea, really, I'll bet. Out here in Southern California the only equipment I've heard the police use is LoJac. Having a yellow boot on the front and rear wheels plus LoJac could be an option.

53FordEffie likes this.
  6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

53FordEffie likes this.
  7. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

3/4 bottle of JD with a wee bit of potassium cyanide , placed in passengers seat . Tee Heee .

czuch and bobss396 like this.
  8. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

3/4 bottle of JD, a wee dose of potassium cyanide .install in glove box . Tee Heee .

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My cousin had a story about a guy who soldered fish hooks to the underside of the radio hanging under the dash of his VW bus. One morning he finds that someone had broken in, phones the cops. "I caught someone trying to steal my car radio this morning." "Did you get a look at him?" "You don't understand. I caught him ... "

Lucky667, slim38, williebill and 4 others like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

It's not much to an experienced car thief but a fused current interrupter will slow them down . Painless wiring makes a maxi fuse style that I install on all my rewire jobs, It also helps if you want to stop battery drain while parked for an extended time. When you get out just pull the fuse. Most car thieves don't carry a maxi fuse in their pocket.

pitman and bobss396 like this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I had a friend of mine who raced and owned a Freightliner with a 53' foot race trailer and one day he needed to take it in for service and he asked me to take a ride with him.
    We got into the cab and he turned the key to hear nothing at all. I looked a him and he said I forgot to put the starter motor back in.
    We unlatched the front hood and tilted the front end forward and sure enough there was no starter motor.

This is just another way of slowing down someone hell bent on stealing your stuff.
    This semi also had two separate tracking devices one for locating the tractor and one for the race trailer.
    Jimbo

12. 97

Interrupt the ignition to starter motor wire.... the one that activates the solenoid. Run it through the cigarette lighter socket which is modified so that it does not switch to earth... so you have to hold the cigarette lighter in while turning the key for the starter to crank.... take the lighter away with you or hide it whenever you are out of the car....You could even go as far as replacing the lighter with one which does not complete the circuit if you wanted to be really pedantic.... It doesn't stop the pros but it will slow the joy-riders down somewhat..

blowby likes this.
  13. My maxi is easy to access so it may be a good idea, could it be jumped out with a paper clip at least to get the car moving to be put on a trailer?

14. You can always say you have one, or have regular insurance with just the basics with no fire, theft, etc. Hagerty wants you to have a garage, I suppose they google-earth your mailing address and take a look.

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I use hidden battery cut off switches and valves to turn off the gas on both my cars. The Zipper (my avatar) also has a removable steering wheel.

16. lilmann

lilmann

I thought the same thing.....until I had a cherry Chevy pickup stolen!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Time is your best friend when considering how to stop a thief. The harder you make it the better your chance of keeping it. Multiple protection is the solution. Think like a thief.

18. On my RPU I was concerned with theft when leaving the car in a parking lot for a few minutes. I fitted this cut off switch to my battery box ( not finished in photo) and this disconnects the earth side of things, its out of sight and easy for me to get at. All wires are black so it makes it harder to see whats what. But its only a deterrent. A photo of your set up would help us a bit more too. JW
    [​IMG]

biggeorge, pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had to leave my 61 Dodge outside for a while, I removed the battery and chained the car to a pole. it worked, no one took it.

20. The sad truth is if a thief want's your car bad enough he is going to get it or destroy it in the process.

One thing I can tell you,if you have a garage and keep your car under lock and key don't leave the key in the ignition,it makes it way too easy for the thief.
    HRP

biggeorge and bobss396 like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

After installing a Vintage Air Gen lV A/C system not all switches and positions are utilized on the original Chevy heat and defrost control panel. Need I say more? Great place for an anti theft device that no thief could ever figure out. Works great and lasts a long time.

Gary

biggeorge and carbed87 like this.
  22. robracer1

robracer1

A kill switch I've used is to run your wires from your coil, starter or whatever to the floor mounted foot dimmer switch, then
    run your wires from the dimmer switch to a switch mounted under the dash that looks like a kill switch
    Ok now when you get out of car step on the dimmer switch to kill it from starting and driving at night use the switch under the dash for a headlight dimmer switch, this should drive a car thief crazy unless he turns your heads lights before trying to steal your car!

23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

24. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

My Cars have electric fuel pumps. I just put a switch (under dash) in line.
    If someone can start the car, it'll go a short ways & die. No more than
    about 100 feet.

25. How does one quasi cut a hole?????

pat59 likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

mine is a Dart.

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Another through for protecting your car is to have a security camera near where ever you park you car.
    A security camera can be monitored from an Android phone and the pictures are uploaded to a cloud for storage which means the days of a thief looking for the video recording so that they can takes the tapes are over!

I have a friend on mine who owns a weekend home in Vermont and he installed camera's around the home and one day he said let me show you pictures of my home I just built.
    While he is showing me the photos on his Android phone he noticed a truck in his driveway and two guys walking around the home. He called the Vermont State Police and they were both arrested for trying to break in.

Keep in mind we were both in Connecticut at the time this all happened.

Cameras work!

jeffd1988 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lockable bollard that can be removed from behind your vehicle and one of those GPS dongles hidden inside the car. If they get past the bollard, you can send the cops directly to where the car is, or go yourself with some friends and some persuading hardware, providing you have the guts to wear orange for a while.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Don't put your last name and address on your car show registration tag.

30. I have a toggle switch on my fuse block, came with the harness kit. I've used it when my car is out of sight. I should give it a shot of black paint to it doesn't stand out.
    KILL SWITCH.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.