Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to approach interior rust on doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott Schoenthaler, Jul 28, 2017.

1. So I am almost to the point of being done with grinding off all the surface rust on my 36' Master Deluxe. Needless to say I still have the entire interior of the body and doors to grind on. My question is, how did you approach the impossible to reach areas on the interior of the doors? While I'm at it what are suggestions for the inside of the frame. I have heard the use of rust neutralizing paints is a good option for the frame rails but I don't know that I like the idea on my body panels. I have considered cutting of the interior panels of the door but not sure if I am only making more work for myself by doing so. If I did take this approach I would likely create new interior panels for the doors from scratch just to eliminate as much chance of rust as possible. Any ideas and opinions would he greatly appteciated! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bct likes this.
  2. Here is a pic of one of the doors.[​IMG]

3. topher5150

topher5150

They just looks like surface rust, and cutting and refabbing would be a lot of unneeded work in my opinion.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a perfect place for any number of "rust encapsulating" paints. It'll never see sun, the minor surface rust will make it hang on there many decades after you're dead and gone, and prep couldn't possibly be easier. A light brush with a soft wire brush, blow it off, put the paint on and never look back. Any moisture that gets to it will only make it stronger. I work on cars approaching and over 7 figures. I use it...;)

Dino 64 likes this.

5. Good to hear I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be covering up rust that would come back to bite me in 10 yrs. Can you recommend the best rust encapsulating paint that you have found.

6. Ya this car has enough work for me to do not trying to add to my list of things. Just trying to avoid rust in the future.

7. TVC

TVC

To really do it right, sand blast it. Otherwise just brush on some Rustoleum rusty metal primer. I used this on an old rusty roll bar close to twenty years ago, it's been sitting out back ever since and still looks great. Going to use it once again on my surface rusted chassis once I finish welding in the gussets/supports.

There are loads of "rust encapsulators" as mentioned above, currently on the market that you could use if Rustoleum is too old school for you. The results tend to be the exact same over time, especially on interior surfaces.

Then there's vapor barriers between the inner door and door panel to consider later on . . .

Scott Schoenthaler likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may be tough to get, It's sold like Amsoil, but I really like "Kryptonite" which is sold out of Canada. The reason I like it so much is the drying time, way shorter than POR-15. That said, I've used POR for decades with 100% success. Keep it off your hands, don't let it get into the rim seal of the can, best to "dip" some out and close it up right away. Don't fall for all the chemical wash, primers and the like. Brush off the area, blow it clean, paint. Done.

9. dan31

dan31

Eastwood in p.a. has some good stuff also. You can find them on line.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service