Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 bar front suspension history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, Jul 27, 2017.

1. guy1unico

guy1unico

When did the 4 bar suspension first appear on hot rods?
    Thank you,
    Guy
    P.S.
    Is it possible to put 5 x 5.5 smoothy 16" 40 Ford wheels over a disc brake system?

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first hot rod 4 bar setup I have pictures of is a purple flathead powered '32 roadster in a 1951 "Hot Rods" magazine.
    Disc brakes are possible with most wheels, depending on the size/style of the brake.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Oldest I know of is Grabowski's T. He used four tie rods shortened up a bit. If you wanted to make your fourbar look old, make sure you aren't using urethane bushings and Pete & Jakes batwings.

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

4-bars became popular in the 1970s and were widely publicized by Pete & Jakes who sold them as a preferred alternative to hairpins which they criticized as unsafe. Some felt their criticism was self serving and was intended to promote sales of their 4-bars. They published a flyer detailing hairpin risks and their arguments seemed sound. Whether hairpins are indeed unsafe has been a hot button here for some time so we probably don't want to start that up again. I'm just trying to add to 4-bar history. Just my $.02

Special Ed likes this.

5. There have been variations of the 4 bar back as far as the early 50's,when Pete & Jake teemed up and really started the 1-800 ready made parts the 4 bar became extremely popular and it is still widely used today with the street rod crowd.

The 4 bar was mainly designed for tube axles that do not flex like the forged I beams. HRP

bscottstudio and Frank Carey like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. It was self serving, they were selling the alternative. One thing that anyone who is researching a product or service should understand, never take the word of the man selling it to you.

That said, four bars are a neat setup and logically they are a better setup. Safer? Set up correctly they articulate better and could be considered safer, but I doubt that is an real empirical data to make a real study from.

Anyway the 4 link has been around a long time, never really "popular" until probably the '70s. But it is not a new invention.

Special Ed likes this.
  8. metalman

metalman

I was a Pete and Jake's dealer way back when they first started getting known. The big deal back then that they (we) pushed was tube axles were real popular, repop I beams weren't around yet. A tube axle will resist twisting like an I beam so when you hit a bump it would stress the hairpin pivot point. Made sense to me, I still follow that to a point, I beam, hairpins ok, tube should have 4 bars. Kinda a mute point now days, hardly anyone except t-bucket guys run tube axles on their hot rods and they are light enough on the front not to be a big deal.
    I'm sure 4 bars have been around since at least the 50's, like someone above posted with the urathane ends from the 70's.

bscottstudio likes this.
  9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I thought the 4-bar set-up was first used on sprint cars of the 40's and 50's.

10. You may be correct. I think I have seen the setup on LSR cars in that time period, but it was probably used to a greater extent in the bull ring.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

There's probably even earlier examples, but this from 1941.
    7-28-f.JPG

jebbesen, Speedwrench and olscrounger like this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I like the geometry setup of the 4 bar plus the safety of 4 points of mounting when it comes to the front axle being held in the car. The hairpin is easier to set up so I guess it's preference. But as stated above they have been around along time.

I 've seen some old movies and every once in a great while you can see an old hotrod with them.

13. I got an idea that hairpins had as much to do with looks as anything else. They were just a different look than a radius rod. The 4 bar can be elegant in its own right, and it has the added caveat of producing good frame geometry and being more adjustable than other setups.

I am not sure that the discussion is about safety as much as history.

14. Hairpins will give a certain amount of roll stiffness, which you do not get with 4-bars. There used to be a lot of dirt track cars set up as 3 bar. (4-bar on one side, hairpin or split wishbone on the other side)

15. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're correct, 4 bars were used on race cars many years before they were seen on street cars. The op wanted to know when they first appeared on hot rods, not history.