Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with engine identification

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BobbyRay, Jul 26, 2017.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Hello, everyone.

I recently purchased a 1966 Chevrolet c10 1/2 ton pick-up and was told that it had a 327ci engine. But as I investigate further, I'm not sure if that's true. I read that the 327 engines in 1966 were blue/gray, but mine is orange. I also read that the 327 engines had an intake manifold with a 4bbl carburetor, but mine takes 2bbls. Also, there is a Rochester 1bbl carburetor installed.

I researched the intake manifold (3746826), and it looks like it came from a 1957 Chevy with a 265.

I've tried looking for the engine ID on the block, but I couldn't find it. I think it's behind the block just above where the transmission mounts, but I can't get back there. The only letter/number combo I found was "n81" by the driver side rear of the block. I researched that letter/number combo, but couldn't find any.

I'm going to begin restoring the truck, but I feel a little worried (and embarrassed) that I cannot identify what type of engine I have. All I know is 1. It's a GM block and 2. It's a v8.

I've attached some pictures as well. I appreciate ANY help. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You might have a Johnny Cash engine made from parts from various engines. Are the valve cover bolts directly across from each other? If so, the heads are newer than 1957. The damper looks larger than most older engines used. Someone might have changed the manifold.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a combination of parts put together...which is not surprising on a 50 year old truck!

btw that IS a 2bbl carb. There are two barrels down in there, even though the top has a small opening.

does it have any numbers stamped on the pad in the black circle? Might have been milled off, but if there are numbers there, let us know what they are.

eng.jpg

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

5. Hold a small mirror down low behind the drivers side valve cover and try to see the casting number on the block. Should be a 7 digit number. If you can find it, it will also be a big clue as to what you have.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yessir, that's the engine.

BobbyRay likes this.
  7. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

I'll check to see if the valve cover bolts are directly across from each other when it's light out tomorrow. I'll also check if there are any numbers by that pad as well.

And thank you, Engine Man for the link. I'll read that thread as soon as I can (the family has be on my toes as of late).

I have a small inspection mirror that I was searching for earlier, but I couldn't find it. I'm sure once I misplace something else I'll find the mirror on accident.

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate the help. I'll check all the recommended areas as soon as it's light out tomorrow.

EDIT: I actually DID look on that pad (in the black circle) thinking there would be a stamp there. Nothing is there, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Another silly question...do both heads have the same "two block" casting ID shape on the bottom edge? We can't really see the driver side head...maybe it's the same, maybe it's different.

and that "n81" code...it might be a casting date code, but if it is the letter would be A through L, upper case.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. Donnie Messner

Donnie Messner

Need help with stamp code on a big block
    Back casting # 361959
    Front of head above timing cover # C9V147812

11. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a 79 truck 454, but if you had the other stamped number on the front we might (or might not) be able to learn more about it.

Donnie Messner likes this.