Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aftermarket '28-'31 A Front End selection and Ride Height

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brianf31, Jul 26, 2017.

1. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm planning on putting a dropped I-beam front end with hairpins and cross steering in my fenderless A coupe. I'm planning on buying aftermarket versus shopping for original stuff due to time. I've read enough here to know that I want a forged axle, preferably a Ford that's been dropped by the likes of Joe's Hot Rods or similar.

Who makes a quality kit that will fit an original axle? Can Speedway stuff be trusted for structural integrity or should I go with Pete & Jake's or another? I'l also buy an aftermarket '32 crossmember, too.

I'm shooting for a 12" height for top of frame at the front axle with a 1300 lb total weight (gross front axle weight due to big block). What height can I expect from the typical kit and 4" dropped axle?

2. If you want a complete kit, Pete & Jakes is hard to beat for high quality & customer service at a reasonable price. RJays has very nice stuff too at about the same price. Both offer HAMB Alliance member discount$.

If cost is your most important criteria, Speedway is probably your best option.

Have you looked at used parts in the HAMB classified?

Hope this helps.

3kross and Dino 64 like this.
  3. steves29

steves29

I used a Speedway 4 inch drop. 10,000 km as of yesterday. I didn't put steering stops on the king pin lock bolts. My imagination puts stress on that spot, after seeing another hamber's axle break there.

Just Gary likes this.
  4. II have used many different mfg front end kits,,Speedway is as good as any other.

Just Gary likes this.

5. Depends on your wheel diameter and tire diameter just as much, so factor that in too.

6. Don't have any actual numbers; but here is an idea on height. Dropped original axle, JW rod shop repop cross-member, Posies 1001L "low" spring with a couple leafs removed. All works together pretty good.

This front has drum brakes; most disc brakes will be wider, the spring with all the leaves left in place should be good with a big block. Had some Speedway spindles a while back with atrocious machining; probably better now(?). Always had to get these springs from direct from Posies as nobody stocks the correct spring for stock perch width axles.
    grille.png

1lucky1 and tfeverfred like this.
  7. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the help, all. I emailed Pete & Jake's and asked about the ride height. They said to expect 11-12" from top of crossmember to ground if using a 4" dropped axle. Depending on tires of course.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Lots of good recommendations so far. Another option is So-Cal Speed Shop.

10. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Chassis engineering

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I used Hamb Classifieds, to build mine LOL. We are WD with Speedway so If I hadn't gotten a smoking hot deal on mine I would have used their setup. I am a in the Weeds kind of guy so the only thing I would do differently is to go to a Tube Axle so I could get a 5-6" drop over the 4" Drop I beam I got.

12. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

14. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Just Gary likes this.