Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Secrets of Speed Mid-States Shindig

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spendingtheirinheritance, Jul 16, 2017.

1. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Scan_20170716.jpg This August 12, I am hosting the annual mid-states"Secrets of Speed" get together. This group's focus is early 4 banger speed equipment and history. It's led by Charlie Yapp who also creates and sells banger speed equipment and publishes a killer magazine about the history and current activities of the banger world.
    I am inviting all H.A.M.B. thinking people that are interested in 4 banger lore and traditional early hot rodding to attend. We are located just off I-90 and about 7 miles north of I-80-94. pm me for any questions. I'll post more info as we go along

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow. Sounds great. Gary

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Please post lots of pics after the meet for those of us who cannot attend , thanks

T-roaster likes this.
  4. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

We will have several H.A.M.B. friendly hotrods on display.
    scrap drive 2017 022.jpg

5. silent rick

silent rick

cass, you attended these in the past. how many people bring stuff to sell. is it a decent swap? I plan on coming either way.

6. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

If anyone knows a safe secondary route that I can drive my banger from Kansas City to this event and skirt metro traffic please post it or pm me.

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.usageo.org/distance/2953624-1831000

I've used this mapping service before and it has always been reliable. Simply, it is a bicycle friendly route which means it mostly keeps you off of interstates. It indicates that the driving mileage is about 55 miles more than the I70--I55 easy way but it bypasses St. Louis.

8. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Rick
    Traditionally these get togethers attract about 40 or 50 die hard SOSS members from all over the country. I am hoping that since we have invited everyone on the planet that we may have a few more in attendance! I think we have some very radical things to show. The swap at these meetings has been limited so I am not sure what to expect but all you have to do is point at some of my shit and I'll shoot you a price. I'll even sell some of the stuff I've been storing for you. Beyond the banger stuff that's the focus of the"Secrets of Speed Society" there will be plenty of H.A.M.B.
    friendly stuff. Check out the flyer at the top of the page, send 10 bucks and I'll feed you.

9. silent rick

silent rick

10. silent rick

silent rick

i was hanging out with cass yesterday evening when dave szumowski dropped off his gallivan twin cam 2 seater. he fired it up and drove it out of the trailer.
    GOD DAMN. i had to be reminded that it was a model T. sounded like an offy to me. makes me want to throw away my hemis and y block and beg borrow and steal to get one of these. i can't wait for aug 12th.

11. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

August 12th will be here before you know it. Everyone is invited.

12. silent rick

silent rick

13. 42merc

42merc

Back home after attending to-days get-together.
    Great people, great cars & great food.
    Many thanks to Cas, his family & helpers.
    Don

14. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

looks like it was a KOOL show :cool:

15. Fordors

Fordors

It was a perfect day, great weather, a free continental breakfast, pizza for lunch and the World's best carrot cake. Oh yeah, the cars and speed equipment were great too.
    Cass, his wife Marge and their three daughters are the perfect hosts and there was a nice turnout of people. Met some new friends and also got to touch base with a few old acquaintances too.
    The free raffle was filled with items donated by Charlie Yapp, and hey!, I won a couple dozen SOS magazines to go with the other thousands of mags I've collected over the years.
    Again, thanks to Cass and his family, Charlie Yapp and all the others that helped make it a smash success. If you get the chance next year this is an event not to be missed, next years might be held closer to you.
    I'm not much of a photog but I'll try and post some photos soon.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  16. PhredH

PhredH

Ditto what Fordors said.
    Great weather, cars, discussion, and food.
    Thanks to all involved. Had a great time!
    Phred

loudbang likes this.
  17. any body bring a camera?

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

x2, did anyone take some pics??

19. Fordors

Fordors

You guys read every line in Post #15?

Anyway, as promised here are the photos-
    The first one is our host with his Gemsa powered T Speedster
    DSCN3255.JPG DSCN3254.JPG DSCN3224.JPG DSCN3223.JPG DSCN3222.JPG DSCN3247.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. Fordors

Fordors

Most of us here can only dream of a playhouse like this, the place has rare speed equipment on engines, stacked on shelves, machine tools, collectibles, memorabilia and even the parts that make the parts, I neglected to ask if the patterns were old or new pieces. DSCN3231.JPG DSCN3242.JPG DSCN3241.JPG DSCN3234.JPG DSCN3233.JPG DSCN3235.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    loudbang, waxhead and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Sorry, but I can't recall the owner's name, he built a beautiful car, and this one is running a Rajo Twin Cam DSCN3217.JPG DSCN3216.JPG DSCN3218.JPG
    The owner's desire for a Speedster began when he was in the eight grade, I'd say he outdid himself, a rare engine combo and great looks.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

How about this beauty? Cass answers a newspaper ad for wire wheels, (Rudge maybe? I don't know wires) and when he follows up on it he asks the guy if he has the mounting hubs for them. "Sure, they are over there on the chassis." The complete car, as you see it here was found in a garage on the south side of Chicago, dusty but otherwise untouched. Full Frontenac equipment, and hey, how about that chain drive blower? DSCN3237.JPG DSCN3220.JPG DSCN3240.JPG DSCN3226.JPG DSCN3219.JPG

23. Fordors

Fordors

But wait, there's more. How about a twin turbo Offy for your channeled Model A coupe? Shoulda taken better pictures of this one. DSCN3229.JPG DSCN3227.JPG

24. Fordors

Fordors

Here are some current projects, fresh castings in process. DSCN3236.JPG DSCN3243.JPG DSCN3245.JPG DSCN3244.JPG DSCN3246.JPG

Attached Files:

25. Fordors

Fordors

I forgot this beauty, it greeted us at the entrance DSCN3214.JPG

slv63, loudbang and waxhead like this.
  26. Fordors

Fordors

And lastly, here are just a few of the cars in the parking area. The Model A was said to be a no rust ever California body and chassis, it was a '40's hot rod, now runs a recent build original Riley Four Port. The Deuce roadster runs pin drive original magnesium wheels, 18" on the rear and the three window was flawless
    DSCN3215.JPG DSCN3252.JPG DSCN3253.JPG DSCN3249.JPG DSCN3250.JPG

loudbang and waxhead like this.
  27. Fordors

Fordors

Hmmm, Silent Rick said that number 8 Speedster is owned by Dave Szumowski, and it's Gallivan powered. It says Rajo on the cam cover but I don't doubt Rick's word.
    Gallivans are extremely rare, I think it was fewer than a dozen made. Joe Lencki ran one too, in fact he cast a one-off block for his.
    When this car revs it sounds bad ass!

loudbang and waxhead like this.
  28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Fordors thanks for taking the time to post these pics. Some very desirable cars and parts in there.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

It was my pleasure, I only wish I had taken the time to take a lot more. No doubt my swap stuff would have been perfectly safe in a great group of people like that.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Fordors, thanks for the great pictures. I made the event but had to leave before 12:00, Being from the area I had seen most of Cass's cars before but I really enjoyed the turnout and cars "I ain't never seen before". I really LOVED the sound AND the GRIN on Cass's face when he fired up the "Hill Climb" car. Charlie Yapps disription of the Speed Way museum was inspiring. Having been there I REALLY believe it should be on Every car guys bucket list. I hope the SOSS comes around to this area again, It sure was a great event. Bill Rinaldi

loudbang likes this.