Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Man what happened? I was pondering a 5 speed for the 36

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 20, 2017.

1. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

2. Budget36

Budget36

The T-56 is in those years, '92 and older got the T5, plus on thirdgen.org, there's been several LT1/LS1 t56 swaps, so most of the planning is done...I don't have any info on 5th gen F-bodies, but never considered one, even the salvage cost were in the 3K and up range.

3. I have a '97 4.3 S10 5 speed in my A Tudor with avatar engine. The only reason I can get by with it is I don't drag race it. Not enough torque capability. It has a factory concentric slave cylinder. I'm using the clutch kit for a '95 v8 half ton, as the transmissions in them were similar.
    The half ton has a TH400 size output shaft, but I'm not going to tell you it's much stronger.
    One of my customers is using a late Camaro 6 speed behind an LS in a modified C1. We changed the rear disc coupler drive to a pinion yoke for a Dana 35 Jeep rearend to get to 1310 series, which matches his pinion yoke on the rearend. The original driveshaft in the donor Camaro uses a driveshaft like an Aussie base Pontiac G8, rubber coupling discs instead of u-joints.

4. Just this week I've seen a handful of Ford Top Loader 4 speeds for under 700. and T-10's as low as $399

5. Avgas

Avgas

Just to try & cheer you up some, if you live in Aussie or NZ you can just about double the prices you are quoting with the arse raping you get with exchange rates, freight charges & taxes! In saying that I have a Richmond Overdrive 6 speed & the money I've spent is irrelevant (Sorta) to the enjoyment I get when I thrash my coupe! It's cost a bucket load but I just went without to make it happen! It's heaps better to drive a real hot rod than just steer a street rod!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Surf City, Roothawg and punkmxcn like this.
  6. punkmxcn

punkmxcn

Yup, I agree, go without for a few more months and order up that brand new TKO 600... thanks!

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Prolly what I will do.

punkmxcn likes this.
  8. draggin49

draggin49

I think tko-600 is gonna be the route I go. I don't want to get something that I have to baby that has a much lower tq rating . It sucks that they are so pricey after the adapters and all the other items but I'm sure they work great and you can drive the car harder without worrying as much

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

What about that overdrive t-10 in 80s vettes or Saginaw 4spd with3spd od conversion ?