Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 'BOSS' hemi heads for the SBF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jul 4, 2017.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I remember a pair made years ago but never heard anything about them since and wonder if they are made by the same people.

2. RmK57

RmK57

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, I thought a 427SBC was pretty impressive. Thinking outside the box and following through on your plan does pay dividends. Will be interested to know how many shell out the $$$ for them.

4. Once again my tastes are outdone by my wallet! Wow, those are nice!!

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Those are a modern day version of what Ardun heads did for the Flathead !

6. 602 HP in mild, pump-gas-friendly form is pretty impressive, particularly when it's a bolt-it-together-and-go deal. But 928 HP and showing signs that there's more left in it is mind-boggling....

And while $6K seems steep, the custom Jesel valvetrain is over 1/3 of the price. If I only had the money.... LOL

7. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

When you think about and compare these to the price of a set of repopped Ardun's, SOHC FE heads, Gurney-Westlakes, or Kaase Boss 429 heads, $6K seems like a down right bargin. Even a new set of Blue Thunder Wedge SBF heads will run $3K+ and well into the $4K and $5K range when adding in go fast tricks such as CNC porting.

Too bad factory 302 blocks have a nasty habit of splitting down the center when they approach 500 hp levels.

[​IMG]

Gammz likes this.
  9. That's the late '5.0' blocks that do that; the early 289/302 and all 351 blocks are considerably stouter. But if you're making close to 1000 HP, you should be using an aftermarket block....

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Agreed, it is just a so much cooler to split the block then shit the rotating assembly out the bottom.......

Unless it is your motor of course, then it just sucks.....

patmanta, Gammz and porkshop like this.
  11. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Even american engines can perform when you cure the asthma. ;)

12. At nearly $10K for a set (plus the need for a special cam and intake, more $$$), no wonder these aren't seen much....

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

14. The Arias heads have been around for years, but between the cost, block mods, and the need for special intakes, etc, they just haven't caught on. These are bolt-on and use any standard SBF intake, leaving exhaust as the only real hurdle. The only thing that looks spooky to me is the extra-long exhaust rocker, which is no doubt why he had Jesel supply them.

The P38 is a very good head, but given the competition from AFR, Trick Flo, World Products and others, they don't have a clear advantage and as was pointed out, the wedge heads appear to have an upper limit of about 800 HP without power adders. Given how early it is in the development of the Hammerheads, the potential here looks pretty damn good....

15. Steve, a set of these on your '47 would get some people scratching their heads (pun intended).

16. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget the CHI Cleveland heads that have dominated Engine Masters in recent years. They are making easy to build killer Clevors and more people are building them again.

The p38s, while very nice heads (and I'm a huge Kaase fan) seem to be a bit lost between these two markets. And I agree that the p38 don't seem to offer a hole lot more than you can get from a wedge.

Personally, I'm a fan of Profilers. http://speierracingheads.com/profiler-vpfsbf.html

I very curious to see how these new hemi heads play out. Thanks for posting about them!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  17. The issue with Cleveland heads for Clevor combinations is the lack of intake manifolds. Unless you want to mess with adaptors or go with a big-$$$ sheetmetal intake, the market is pretty limited. Same story for the 351W; multi-carb intakes are nearly nonexistent, with only an Edelbrock 2-4V offering (IMO stupidly cast so it only accepts their carbs, not Holleys) or the Price Motorsport 2-4V lo-riser.

Todd, if I had the money these would already be on order....

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

I think the Edlebrock 7129 4 barrel manifold is still available.