Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects some progress on my 48 hudson. interior and lowering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by morecowbell, Sep 1, 2016.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

I have an online journal with more detail (www.jasonmrenda.com) of the failures and successes but for here I'll be more brief.

I don't expect i'll be asked to build any interiors for tv shows or anything but i'm pretty happy with the results given my lack of skills and budget.

Through the HAMB and the HET forum (hudson-essex-terraplane forum) and various web searches I was able to find ways to try and redo the interior without breaking the bank and using ideas that would inspire me to try things I haven't. My plan all along has been to try and stay fairly true to the car's history while keeping my budget/skills in mind and pushing myself to learn as I go. I want to do things that won't be impossible to undo if I ever sell the car and the next person wants to go for more of a resto.

The past few weeks have been spent under the car, ruining shirts and pants 1 oil pan at a time. To inspect the dipper tray meant the crossmember had to be dropped to get to the 34 bolts holding the oil pan in place. Decided to pop out the coils and cut them down a bit. After a few days of fiddling I had it all sorted and the pans back in place with gaskets and oil added to the upper dipper tray.

Tonight we try and fire the stock engine. if no go then I'll prob yank it this weekend and start to drop in the chevy 250 that i know runs.

Managed to make up some dead simple door panels and get the rug down. I know it wont win any Riddler awards but its better than it was and so far I'm about $200 into the entire interior. door-6.jpg door5.jpg door3.jpg door-1.jpg IMG_20160821_111438402.jpg IMG_20160819_175238105.jpg IMG_20160814_165611738.jpg IMG_20160814_165605896.jpg

2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The work on the interior looks good but I am not sure about the white! I am one of those greasy types that prefer black ;) Did the engine run?

3. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

well after about 6 months off I am back onto the Hudson.

I couldn't get the stock engine to run so it sits tucked away in the garage, out of the elements and waiting for me to win the lotto to get it rebuilt. In the meantime I picked up a running Checy 250 out of a 71 something or other. Stuck a T5 behind it and set about trying to get it into the Hudson.

Clearly space isn't the issue in the bay and the 250 oil pan's shape clears the stock steering linkage and crossmember well. Using the stock radiator and need to get some hoses. Made up some simple engine mounts out of 1/2 in thick stock and some bushings. I did have to cut and peel back some of the firewall to get the trans in there which bummed me out (wanted to keep any cutting to a minimum) but given that no one is beating down my door to take this off my hands, had to do what had to be done.

Trans mount is prob overkill but it allows me to use some vertical bushings to keep it in place. Used the stock clutch pedal and made a "hook" to fit in the ball/cup part of the clutch fork. Coupled that to the stock pedal mechanism and it seems to engage the clutch (haven't tested with engine running yet). It's simple and I like to over-complicate things so I am a bit concerned about this setup. Will def be keeping an eye on it. An auto would have been an easier swap but I can't see having the clutch pedal and not using it.

Plenty of space for the stock exhaust placement to get down and back and not interfere with the clutch or throttle linkage (still need to fab the throttle linkage). Would like to get lake pipes eventually.

Brakes are all totally rebuilt, new master cyl, brake lines, etc. Cut the coils about 1.5 inches in front and added 2 in blocks in the rear. Need to get a measurement for a new front piece driveshaft and order that. Made a very rudimentary battery box.

Will be doing a complete rewire and 12v conversion. Interior is just a "for now" thing but once it's running solidly I hope to get it a nice pleated white vinyl (can't afford real tuck and roll).

Anyway, still lots to go but finally excited to be on it again after 6 months off. Needed a break.
    IMG_20170705_110640789.jpg IMG_20170705_164912655.jpg IMG_20170705_164920728.jpg

4. That's a sweet ride Morecowbell.
    You'll like that T5 - we put one behind a flathead in our roadster. That little V8 really comes to life.
    And what's up with that cool steering wheel? Is that original?

Keep us posted.......................